how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

MisterBill
Verizon FiOS

join:2002-06-05
Yorktown Heights, NY

Very slow upload speeds (starts out OK then slows down)

I've had a problem with FiOS for the past few weeks where my upload speed is really terrible. I have 25/25 service and it had been OK in the past. This is happening on multiple devices - multiple PCs, Sling Solo box, and my Android phone, so it is not a PC issue. Symptom is that I try to upload something and it makes progress, then eventually stops and times out. Running speed tests, the Verizon non-Java based test fails, it starts out at maybe 5mb down and then as it stops responding the overall speed drops below 1mb. The Speakeasy speed test as well as the Verizon Java-based speed test DO complete OK and generally show up to 20mb upload. Download speeds are OK, with 30mb when I am on via Ethernet.

I've been contacting Verizon support via their Twitter account and they finally reset the ONT today but I just tried connecting to the Sling box and it timed out after an initial good connection, which is the normal symptom. I've rebooted the router but did not do so this time when they reset the ONT since I was not home. They have not tried sending me a new router.

I saw another thread here from 2010 with a similar complaint but there was never any resolution there. What would cause my problem?

antioch

join:2007-10-06
Pomona, CA
kudos:1

Typically it'll be equipment failure. You could progress you're trouble shooting by going to a neighbor that had FiOS and ask them if they're having similar issues.
--
Fiber Network Technician
Pomona, CA

MisterBill
Verizon FiOS

Yorktown Heights, NY

said by antioch:

Typically it'll be equipment failure. You could progress you're trouble shooting by going to a neighbor that had FiOS and ask them if they're having similar issues.

Do mean equipment outside of my house and common to other people on my block?

Of course, this would assume that I speak to any of my neighbors. Actually I do have one neighbor I speak to who has FiOS (or did last time I checked).

antioch

join:2007-10-06
Pomona, CA

I mean you're equipment at your home. Especially if your neighbors service works okay.
--
Fiber Network Technician
Pomona, CA

MisterBill
Verizon FiOS

Yorktown Heights, NY
reply to MisterBill

So, I'm still having this problem and finally got around to calling Verizon (the Verizon Support person on Twitter had reset the ONT last week) They had me reset the router and of course it did not solve it. They're sending me a replacement router. I'm not sure if that is likely to fix it. Would love to hear what solved other people's problems.

Hopefully I'll get the new router version to make up for the trouble of having to re-enter the wireless key on all of my devices.

jcondon

join:2000-05-27
Fishkill, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

said by MisterBill See Profile

Hopefully I'll get the new router version to make up for the trouble of having to re-enter the wireless key on all of my devices.

You can just change SSID and Wireless Key on the new router to match what you are using now.

MisterBill
Verizon FiOS

Yorktown Heights, NY

said by jcondon:

You can just change SSID and Wireless Key on the new router to match what you are using now.

True, but then when they have me reset it in the future, I'll have to remember to change it back. Might be easier to just make the change now.

kes601

join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA
kudos:2

Why would Vz tell you to reset your wireless key?

MisterBill
Verizon FiOS

Yorktown Heights, NY

said by kes601:

Why would Vz tell you to reset your wireless key?

If I were to push the button to reset the router if there are problems (like I have now) doesn't it do a factory reset back to the original key?

kes601

Virginia Beach, VA

I suppose that would happen if you had to do a factory reset. Personally I'd rather remember to change my key on the router once (even if it happened every once in a while) and not all of my devices.

MisterBill
Verizon FiOS

Yorktown Heights, NY

That is a good point, I suppose. Anyway, it's on the truck for delivery today. Hopefully I get the N version of the router.

MisterBill
Verizon FiOS

Yorktown Heights, NY

1 edit

So I got a new Rev I router and installed it (I did set the wireless options to the same as the old router). The upload problem is still not fixed. In fact, it wasn't even getting started on the upload test, but then I updated the firmware to the latest and now it seems a little better but still does not complete and never gets above 3mb up.

As I mentioned earlier the Speakeasy speed test runs fine - I got a speed of 31 down and 18 up (not 25 but a lot better than Verizon). What would cause the Speakeasy test to be able to complete while Verizon's test and my real world experiences of doing stuff like sending files via email fail?

MisterBill
Verizon FiOS

Yorktown Heights, NY
reply to MisterBill

So I have been going back and forth with Verizon support on Twitter. Today they finally had someone on their end run tests and they said it tests fine to the ONT. and suggested it could be an internal wiring issue. I have the router on a splitter, so I can check and make sure that everything there is OK, and what I might do is try putting the original router (which I haven't sent back) on another cable drop in the house and turn off the new one, and see if that solves the problem. Id it doesn't, I assume I can connect it directly to the ONT and see if it fails there.

I still do not understand why the Speakeasy speed test runs fine while the Verizon one does not.

kes601

Virginia Beach, VA

For kicks, try selecting a different state for the Vz speedtest. I had issues once where certain states on the Vz test would download very slowly while others were fine. It ended up being an offsite issue w/one of the routes.

MisterBill
Verizon FiOS

Yorktown Heights, NY

said by kes601:

For kicks, try selecting a different state for the Vz speedtest. I had issues once where certain states on the Vz test would download very slowly while others were fine. It ended up being an offsite issue w/one of the routes.

Thanks, I already tried that and it still fails. When I was able to find the Java-based Verizon speedtest (which I am unable to at the moment), it ran fine. If it were only the speed test that wasn't working, I would not care. But as I said originally, I have other stuff that is flaky, like my Sling box, and off-site backup, and uploading videos.

jb1677

join:2001-10-15
Silver Spring, MD

I have same issue (»Slow upload)

Verizon has replaced router and ONT and most recently had be test with laptop wired to ONT to bypass all internal wiring. They then had me go to numerous speed test sites until they found one that produced good results and gave me an "I told you so, everything is fine"

During an upload operation if I take a network capture I see a huge amount of Duplicate ACK's and a ton of retransmits. I even see this on "good" speed test sites (that presumably do nothing to see that the data is complete).

I have tried the Fios forum, their Twitter and the FIOS direct forum here and still have gotten nowhere.

My next step will probably be a call to Comcast :-(

MisterBill
Verizon FiOS

Yorktown Heights, NY

Thanks for sharing. I had seen other (older) threads here with similar problems but the OP never reported on a resolution (if any). How do you do the network capture, that sounds interesting. In the "old days" we used to use a "sniffer" at work.

Is it failing on other speed test sites in addition to Verizon's? Are you seeing the same symptom as me where the upload test starts out slow-ish and then basically stops responding?

PS I also posted on Verizon's own site and got no response at all. Did not bother with Verizon Direct.

jb1677

Silver Spring, MD

My speed tests sometimes work flawlessly, sometimes the upload starts fast then fades, sometimes the upload never runs at all.

I am not too hung up on the speedtest sites, I am more concerned with the fact that uploads to youtube, dropbox or google drive also suffer in addition to VOIP and Video chat for work.

For a network capture I use a software sniffer (free options include Wireshark or Microsoft Network Monitor). For me, they paint a pretty clear picture of whats happening, a large portion of packets I am sending out need to be retransmitted.

MisterBill
Verizon FiOS

Yorktown Heights, NY
reply to MisterBill

New update -- decided to try the old router in the kitchen (turned off the new one first, obviously), since I had cloned the SSID and key so it's easy to swap. It never connected to the Internet, the orange light would flash or go off entirely. I logged into the console and it showed "connecting". Would there have been an issue with using two different routers, or is it most likely a signal quality issue? I didn't have any problems connecting the second router after turning off the first when I received it a couple of weeks ago.

Went back to the bedroom where the router is normally connected and tightened the connections at the splitter (Verizon provided) and the speed test still fails. Unfortunately I cannot get to the cable connection in my daughter's room so I can't try there. I may try connecting it to an unused cable in the basement and see if it works from there, or I could go up into the attic where I have another splitter (once again, Verizon supplied) and see if plugging it into the main line there works.

Does Verizon fix the coax if there are problems?

kes601

Virginia Beach, VA

You need to release the WAN IP from the new router and immediately unplug it, then plug in the old one.

MisterBill
Verizon FiOS

Yorktown Heights, NY

said by kes601:

You need to release the WAN IP from the new router and immediately unplug it, then plug in the old one.

Hmm.. I didn't do that when I switched from the old router to the new one that they sent me. Of course, because I had to get the new one set up, it took a few minutes. How long does it take to get released on its own?

jb1677

Silver Spring, MD

If you want to be certain its nothing in the house you could call support, talk the tech into enabling your Ethernet port on the ONT and plug directly in there to test. That will bypass all cables/splitters/switches/routers in the house. This will help you isolate the issue. Don't forget to have then switch back when testing is done!!

This is what I did, unfortunately for me the problem persisted even at the ONT. Hopefully you will find the issue is gone in which case you know the problem is in the house.

MisterBill
Verizon FiOS

Yorktown Heights, NY

This morning's update.. I plugged the new router directly into the wall jack with a new cable, bypassing the current splitter and existing cables. Same problem. Will try connecting it downstairs next, but possibly won't have a chance to do so until tomorrow night.

MisterBill
Verizon FiOS

Yorktown Heights, NY
reply to MisterBill

So, I was able to do some more testing. I was able to get the original router working in the kitchen, and had the same results. Then I moved it to the basement, which is not split from the attic drop (so it rules out the splitter up there), and I've got the same slow speed there. Not looking like my wiring is the problem.

Have not tried the sniffer yet.

MisterBill
Verizon FiOS

Yorktown Heights, NY
reply to MisterBill

Fixed - but not sure how or why!

So I just ran a speed test for the first time in a week or so, and was shocked to find that the problem is fixed! I'm now getting 31/27 on 25/25 service. The only thing I have done in the past week was stopped to talk to a Verizon repair guy who was on my street fixing someone else's service (he claimed his service was dropping, but the repair guy said he could not find anything). He had no idea what my problem was but maybe after I left he figured something out related to the two problems and fixed it. Very strange, but I am very pleased that it's fixed.

I guess I have to send back the old router since they sent me a return label. What will happen if I do not send it back? Will they charge me for it?

RolteC
0h

join:2001-05-20
Fresh Meadows, NY

I have not heard of Verizon charging for replacement routers, so don't worry about it. I have experience with that and they never charged me for keeping the replacement (which also didn't change or fix anything).

You are also posting at 10am, which should be fine when running a speedtest.

Try these and let us know the results:
»myspeed.visualware.com/index.php
»spdtst-dlls.tx.centurylink.net/

MisterBill
Verizon FiOS

Yorktown Heights, NY

Visualware 30.6 down 18.6 up.

The Speakeasy speed test was working fine even when I had the problem, since it was some odd problem.

FutureX2001

join:2000-10-25
Perris, CA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to MisterBill

Re: Very slow upload speeds (starts out OK then slows down)

Keep an eye on the problem. I've noticed my FiOS line has been decreasing in quality since Q4 2012. I now get packet loss, latency & decreased speeds. The problems tend to happen more in the evening/night and I've even bypassed the router and swapped the work stations to verify. I'm running network cable from the ONT. I'm starting to think my area is oversubscribed...

RolteC
0h

join:2001-05-20
Fresh Meadows, NY
reply to MisterBill

Re: Fixed - but not sure how or why!

Try your test now to www.speedtest.net and use the Inerail NYC server.

rhdcheme

join:2006-11-18
Lorton, VA
reply to FutureX2001

Re: Very slow upload speeds (starts out OK then slows down)

said by FutureX2001:

I've noticed my FiOS line has been decreasing in quality since Q4 2012. I now get packet loss, latency & decreased speeds. The problems tend to happen more in the evening/night and I've even bypassed the router and swapped the work stations to verify. I'm running network cable from the ONT. I'm starting to think my area is oversubscribed...

I am seeing similar problems here in Northern VA. I also have CAT5e cable from ONT.