Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

MisterBill
Verizon FiOS

join:2002-06-05
Yorktown Heights, NY
reply to kes601

Re: Very slow upload speeds (starts out OK then slows down)

said by kes601:

You need to release the WAN IP from the new router and immediately unplug it, then plug in the old one.

Hmm.. I didn't do that when I switched from the old router to the new one that they sent me. Of course, because I had to get the new one set up, it took a few minutes. How long does it take to get released on its own?

jb1677

join:2001-10-15
Silver Spring, MD

If you want to be certain its nothing in the house you could call support, talk the tech into enabling your Ethernet port on the ONT and plug directly in there to test. That will bypass all cables/splitters/switches/routers in the house. This will help you isolate the issue. Don't forget to have then switch back when testing is done!!

This is what I did, unfortunately for me the problem persisted even at the ONT. Hopefully you will find the issue is gone in which case you know the problem is in the house.

MisterBill
Verizon FiOS

Yorktown Heights, NY

This morning's update.. I plugged the new router directly into the wall jack with a new cable, bypassing the current splitter and existing cables. Same problem. Will try connecting it downstairs next, but possibly won't have a chance to do so until tomorrow night.

MisterBill
Verizon FiOS

Yorktown Heights, NY
reply to MisterBill

So, I was able to do some more testing. I was able to get the original router working in the kitchen, and had the same results. Then I moved it to the basement, which is not split from the attic drop (so it rules out the splitter up there), and I've got the same slow speed there. Not looking like my wiring is the problem.

Have not tried the sniffer yet.

MisterBill
Verizon FiOS

Yorktown Heights, NY
reply to MisterBill

Fixed - but not sure how or why!

So I just ran a speed test for the first time in a week or so, and was shocked to find that the problem is fixed! I'm now getting 31/27 on 25/25 service. The only thing I have done in the past week was stopped to talk to a Verizon repair guy who was on my street fixing someone else's service (he claimed his service was dropping, but the repair guy said he could not find anything). He had no idea what my problem was but maybe after I left he figured something out related to the two problems and fixed it. Very strange, but I am very pleased that it's fixed.

I guess I have to send back the old router since they sent me a return label. What will happen if I do not send it back? Will they charge me for it?

RolteC
0h

join:2001-05-20
Fresh Meadows, NY
kudos:1

I have not heard of Verizon charging for replacement routers, so don't worry about it. I have experience with that and they never charged me for keeping the replacement (which also didn't change or fix anything).

You are also posting at 10am, which should be fine when running a speedtest.

Try these and let us know the results:
»myspeed.visualware.com/index.php
»spdtst-dlls.tx.centurylink.net/

MisterBill
Verizon FiOS

Yorktown Heights, NY

Visualware 30.6 down 18.6 up.

The Speakeasy speed test was working fine even when I had the problem, since it was some odd problem.

FutureX2001

join:2000-10-25
Perris, CA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to MisterBill

Keep an eye on the problem. I've noticed my FiOS line has been decreasing in quality since Q4 2012. I now get packet loss, latency & decreased speeds. The problems tend to happen more in the evening/night and I've even bypassed the router and swapped the work stations to verify. I'm running network cable from the ONT. I'm starting to think my area is oversubscribed...

RolteC
0h

Fresh Meadows, NY
reply to MisterBill

Re: Fixed - but not sure how or why!

Try your test now to www.speedtest.net and use the Inerail NYC server.

rhdcheme

join:2006-11-18
Lorton, VA
reply to FutureX2001

said by FutureX2001:

I've noticed my FiOS line has been decreasing in quality since Q4 2012. I now get packet loss, latency & decreased speeds. The problems tend to happen more in the evening/night and I've even bypassed the router and swapped the work stations to verify. I'm running network cable from the ONT. I'm starting to think my area is oversubscribed...

I am seeing similar problems here in Northern VA. I also have CAT5e cable from ONT.

jb1677

join:2001-10-15
Silver Spring, MD

My issue went away after numerous support cases, ultimately something was changed or replaced but not at my house and the problem went away for a few weeks. Unfortunately its back, same as before. Uploads to any reputable service are slow as heck, my backups to crashplan are stalling/failing, I am being told that voip/video conference are choppy on the remote end and speedtest results suck.

Packet captures show numerous retransmits on any upload operation, downloads are fine.

MisterBill
Verizon FiOS

Yorktown Heights, NY
reply to RolteC

Re: Fixed - but not sure how or why!

said by RolteC:

I have not heard of Verizon charging for replacement routers, so don't worry about it. I have experience with that and they never charged me for keeping the replacement (which also didn't change or fix anything).

I would suggest that you not give this advice out anymore. I just got my Verizon bill and found this item on it:

4/22 UNRETURNED EQUIPMENT CHARGE 99.99

Hopefully I can return it and get the $99.99 refunded.

RolteC
0h

Fresh Meadows, NY

That is a first. But I will correct my statement on equipment exchanges going forward.

MisterBill
Verizon FiOS

Yorktown Heights, NY

I contacted them via Twitter DM and they said I will get the charge refunded if I return it, so I shipped it out today.

FutureX2001

join:2000-10-25
Perris, CA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to MisterBill

Houston we have a problem.

Checking for Middleboxes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Done
SendBufferSize set to [261360]
running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 353.22Kb/s
running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 127.63kb/s
Information: Network Middlebox is modifying MSS variable
Server IP addresses are preserved End-to-End

You know what's funny? I just connected through RDP to my workplace which has the FiOS Business package (150mbps?). It's roughly ~25 miles further south.

MisterBill
Verizon FiOS

Yorktown Heights, NY

said by FutureX2001:

Houston we have a problem.

Yours is slow in both directions. Mine was ok for downloads but slow for uploads. Hopefully it will be easier to diagnose and fix.
Expand your moderator at work