|reply to Raphion |
Re: The roots of the problem
There's been a new development; I ended up trying a twist on the heat idea, but using no heat. I had a couple cans of carb cleaner, and on a whim decided to see what it did to tar, and whether scrap clay was damaged by it. The tar liquifies, the clay is unaffected.
So, with industrial grade solvent resistant gloves on, I got a chisel and a long thin metal implement, and started removing the tar, first where it was bulged out from the joint, and then stabbing into it between the bell and the next tile, and spraying a little carb cleaner in every little bit. The carb cleaner penetrated right down between the clay and the tar, and let me pull ALL of the tar right out of the joint. So now there's nothing holding it, I'll be fitting in the PVC as soon as this little rain lets up.