uniqs

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot to Bender2000

Premium Member

to Bender2000

Re: [Rant] Was Suppose to have a 3 day weekend....

said by Bender2000:

.it really is a sad occurance nowadays and it really boils down to taking advantage of the employee...

... taking advantage of the employee!? To pay them more!?

I guess as you get further to the east people want to work less and earn less, but around these parts people clamor at the possibility of collecting overtime. It's like the holy grail of employment, especially in these times.

Robert4
Premium Member
join:2002-03-11
St John'S, NL

Robert4

Premium Member

I know too many people like you. Work work work, take no time to stop and smell the roses. You'll regret it on your death bed. You'll deny it now and say you love going non stop, but you will regret it.

At the end of the day, I have a comfortable lifestyle, an awesome family, great friends, & overall a great job. Why add stress by punching double duty every single day and every weekend? If you can't enjoy what is all around you, what's the point?

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot

Premium Member

said by Robert4:

I know too many people like you. Work work work, take no time to stop and smell the roses.

Well, in between working and diving in the Maldives at the start of this month, it's true I haven't had any time to stop and smell the roses. I'm surprised you know so many people like me, I haven't had many conversations with people who have had similar adventures.
said by Robert4:

You'll regret it on your death bed. You'll deny it now and say you love going non stop, but you will regret it.

If I get to my death bed with only that regret, then I'll count myself fortunate that in so many years my only regret was not smelling a rose. So far my only regret is not buying a proper camera before going to Socotra in Yemen. I have a feeling I'll regret more of what I've forgotten than what I haven't done...
said by Robert4:

At the end of the day, I have a comfortable lifestyle, an awesome family, great friends, & overall a great job. Why add stress by punching double duty every single day and every weekend? If you can't enjoy what is all around you, what's the point?

Well then you're fortunate and doing much better than many people, as I don't know anyone in my area that wouldn't be excited over the prospect of overtime pay. If anything, people in this province seem to be bitching more about cut hours than they are about having too many hours.

Do you not have coworkers that would jump at the chance to pick up your shifts?
bjlockie
join:2007-12-16
Ontario
Technicolor TC4350
Asus RT-AC56
Grandstream HandyTone 702/704

bjlockie to Robert4

to Robert4
said by Robert4:

I know too many people like you. Work work work, take no time to stop and smell the roses. You'll regret it on your death bed. You'll deny it now and say you love going non stop, but you will regret it.

In my profession, I have no choice.
It is work, work, work or be unemployed.

Mike2009
join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON

Mike2009

I guess I'm lucky that overtime is quite rare for me. I put in my time and get to have dinner with my family everyday.
lawrence171
join:2001-12-24
Canada

lawrence171 to bjlockie

to bjlockie
What is this profession?

FiReSTaRT
Premium Member
join:2010-02-26
Canada

FiReSTaRT

Premium Member

I find that family time is VERY important. While I've done OT when needed, in some cases it was unpaid but I couldn't complain or I would have lost my opportunity to get a permanent position (didn't get it anyway lol) or in another industry where you're expected to work 7 days a week when in the field, 10-16hrs a day, you're paid the same per-diem for all 7 days, I'll be more likely to choose time off as long as it doesn't put my employer/coworkers in a spot.

Robert4
Premium Member
join:2002-03-11
St John'S, NL

Robert4 to bjlockie

Premium Member

to bjlockie
said by bjlockie:

In my profession, I have no choice.
It is work, work, work or be unemployed.

I am in the same boat, hence the rant.

And no, no one can pick up "my" shift when it is the whole department busting their balls for months, hence the rant.

Alas, it is Tuesday: start of a new week.
vue666 (banned)
Let's make Canchat better!!!
join:2007-12-07

vue666 (banned) to Robert4

to Robert4
said by Robert4:

Exactly... I don't think too many on their deathbed think...
"I wish I would have spent a bit more time in the office"...

It's more like "I wish I would have spent more time with my family..."

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo to urbanriot

Premium Member

to urbanriot
said by urbanriot:

said by Bender2000:

.it really is a sad occurance nowadays and it really boils down to taking advantage of the employee...

... taking advantage of the employee!? To pay them more!?

I guess as you get further to the east people want to work less and earn less, but around these parts people clamor at the possibility of collecting overtime. It's like the holy grail of employment, especially in these times.

I do not personally know anyone who thinks like that, aside from here it seems.