spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

fam of 6

@windstream.net

[Speed] Calling all installers.... Pole or ped? I have both avai

Hope I am in the correct place to post this. I am signing up for Comcast in the next few days and want the fastest internet possible, of course. My property is at the end of a very long residential street. It has a ped at the bottom of the driveway (typical neighborhood set up) BUT the back of my property has a pole with 2 taps on it. The pole is situated on a state highway with almost no houses on the road. Both taps are equidistant from my house. Should I, or can I, ask the installer to hook up one over the other? They will have to bury the same amount of wire either way. Is there any advantage to being the only one on the pole vs the last ped on the street? Or is the ped better or does it even matter?

Thanks everyone!

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

Re: [Speed] Calling all installers.... Pole or ped? I have both

I know this situation very well. My property is right between overhead and underground utilities. On west side of my lot the utilities come in overhead as there are three houses with overhead utilities and then all the houses from my house downwards the utilities are buried. Our utilities are supposed to come in underground but the drop for the other unit in my duplex went bad and they just ran an overhead pine to the pole in the adjacent yard. The specs for my house are the lines are supposed to be buried. The landlord is not too happy as the overhead drop damaged the roof on the garage.

If your property is wired for CATV, they'll just hook it back up and replace any bad/out of spec wire. If not, they'll have to do an unwired house installation. They'll most likely follow the routing of the telephone and electrical. If they come in underground, they'll go underground. If the come in overhead, they'll go overhead. Cable follows electrical in most installs. Another point to consider is it's still technically winter and the ground is still frozen so they cannot bury the line until the ground thaws (does not apply in warmer climates). If they can't bury the line, they'll run an orange colored line (to prevent tripping over it) from the ped to your house if they can do it without crossing driveways or roads and they'll bury it at a later day.
--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner. They are much better than broadcast TV.

I have not and will not cut the cord.

Fam of 6

@windstream.net

Hey, thanks IowaCowboy. I guess my question isn't too clear, sorry. I am wanting to know if there is any advantage to hooking up to the pole vs hooking up to the ped? My house is 7 years old and I built it. It is "cable" ready with all home runs leading to onQ type panel in basement. I even stuffed 2 coax wires in every box. Anyway, I really only need the drop from the house to the street but if I have to pay for an install I am gonna let them do everything, including anything that needs done inside. I am only buying internet.

So the drop is my main question. Pole and ped are same distance from house. I am in GA so they can bury whenever, although it will prolly be mid summer before they get around to actually doing it

Thanks,
Chad

Cable Employ

join:2012-07-23
Saint Paul, MN
reply to fam of 6

They should follow whatever the power company did. If the power comes from the overhead pole, that is where the cable should come from. If power comes in underground, it should come in from there. It is also possible that each tap in actually in a different node. You should be hooked to the tap in the node that is assigned to your house by the billing system. Another possibility, are you on the border of two cities? If so, depending on the franchise with the city, that could determine what tap you are hooked to. Also, when the system was designed, they should of designated the tap that you come from. Their is a lot of areas that I work that have this same situation. In answering your question, all of what I mentioned have to be looked at, but, what tap you were designed to be hooked up to will answer all of them.

aabaaf

join:2011-12-09
Lombard, IL

1 recommendation

reply to Fam of 6

Once the install is done, if it's from the ped near the street and would be underground it is usually buried within a few days. Sometimes the installer puts that request in, but best soon after the installer leaves you call and speak to a CSR, and have them put in the bury request. That way you're sure it will be done, as one won't cancel out the other, and will be done within a few days. You do not need to be home when it is done. So best to ask the installer which has better signal, which they would do, etc......

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4

1 recommendation

reply to Cable Employ

said by Cable Employ:

They should follow whatever the power company did. If the power comes from the overhead pole, that is where the cable should come from. If power comes in underground, it should come in from there. It is also possible that each tap in actually in a different node. You should be hooked to the tap in the node that is assigned to your house by the billing system. Another possibility, are you on the border of two cities? If so, depending on the franchise with the city, that could determine what tap you are hooked to. Also, when the system was designed, they should of designated the tap that you come from. Their is a lot of areas that I work that have this same situation. In answering your question, all of what I mentioned have to be looked at, but, what tap you were designed to be hooked up to will answer all of them.

THIS.

it follows electric.
--
I'm better than you!

Fam of 6

@windstream.net

Yes, everything is underground to my house. I meant to say that earlier, sorry. From either tap, it will be laid on the ground, run to my house, and buried later. Is there any signal difference from end of a street ped vs pole on a highway? I just wonder about signal strength or congestion in the afternoon, or difference in speed, or anything else I'm missing that one might want to consider if they had a choice in tap location. They may be exactly the same or, like Cable Employ said, I may not even have a choice at all depending on how they laid it out in my area. I guess I was just worried about being the last ped in the cul de sac on a long street and maybe getting slower service since everyone is using the same wires or something. I'm probably just over worrying about stuff I am way off base on. Thanks everyone.

anon321

@comcast.net
reply to fam of 6

Without knowing the distance to the amp and how many customers are on the nodes, I don't think anyone can really tell you if one is going to be better than another. Overhead lines can be knocked out by trees, and UG lines can be knocked out by backhoes. I would generally prefer to have the line buried but I don't know if there is a statistic that supports less interruptions one way or another.

Ideally the installer coming out should have already been instructed as to which one he needs to hook you up to in order to keep the nodes small and which has a better signal in your area. Once again in a good area it really shouldn't matter much as both drop locations should be decent if there is a tap plate there.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, as long as the service comes up and everything is working well then it really doesn't matter how it is fed to you.

gar187er
I do this for a living

Dover, DE
reply to Fam of 6

thats not how cable works. youll be fine
--
I'm better than you!

gar187er
I do this for a living

Dover, DE
reply to Fam of 6

thats not how it works. youll be fine.
--
I'm better than you!

Fam of 6

@windstream.net

Awesome, thanks everyone. Calling them today to set up install.