spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

vpn names

@comcastbusiness.net

How do I see computers across the VPN

We are using Cisco RV042 routers to set up the VPN tunnels. The workgroups are all named the same. How can we set it up so we can see the computer/server names across the VPN?

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

Since you are using the term workgroup instead of domain I'm assuming you are not running a windows domain controller in your environment ?

Each LAN will (semi random) elect one computer as master browser for the workgroup using local broadcast messages (which will not be routed). You therefore end up with two computers (one on each site) that each firmly believe to have the authoritative list of all computers in the workgroup.

Your problem isn't really VPN specific, you will encounter it with routed subnets within a single facility as well.

There are many ways around this issue each with its own pros and cons.

One way to fix it is by setting up an explicit WINS server that every computer will use (the unicast messages to the WINS server are routed across the VPN). This is not ideal from a performance standpoint so you may want to have a WINS server on each side of the VPN that are kept in sync (a separate challenge).

There are some advantages to keeping a workgroup contained to a single LAN so depending on your needs you might want to change the workgroup name for one of the sites.

A very crude way to fix the problem is to use bridging instead of routing for the VPN connection. While that eliminates the need for a WINS server, you may experience performance issues with broadcast traffic across the VPN link.
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

jimbopalmer
Tsar of all the Rushers

join:2008-06-02
Greenwood, MS
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to vpn names

Only IP Addresses will work, as Microsoft did not use DNS for naming. You can however, map IP Addresses to names in a HOSTS file you distribute to each PC that needs names.

That will not allow workgroup browsing, however.
--
I tried to remain child-like, all I achieved was childish.

ballistx

join:2013-03-18
Albuquerque, NM
reply to vpn names

The issue is with Revit that we are using. It requires the precise mapping as the central file to create a "local".

It appears that the standard VPN will not permit that.

Thanks for the responses though.

Samir

join:2010-02-06
Madison, AL
reply to jimbopalmer

While this is true, there may be a workaround that might work. On the client systems, you can bind Netbeui to be run over TCP/IP (which it does by default, I believe). This should enable the naming to run over the VPN link.

There's also an option on the rv042 under the VPN settings (if it's like the rv016 I have) for "NetBIOS broadcast". Try that as well.

I've never gotten this to work, but I tried it years ago and may have missed something. Report back if this works!
--
Huntsville's Premiere Car and Bike Enthusiast website: www.huntsvillecarscene.com

jimbopalmer
Tsar of all the Rushers

join:2008-06-02
Greenwood, MS
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to ballistx

said by ballistx:

The issue is with Revit that we are using. It requires the precise mapping as the central file to create a "local".

Instead of //name/path/ use //IP Address/path/ like //192.168.1.20/revit/
--
I tried to remain child-like, all I achieved was childish.