pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA
kudos:3

[Signals] Signal is getting worse

Click for full size
So back in early February, I posted about an outage after which my signals were much worse.

Things are slowly getting worse. I now have some channels below 33 dB and I'm starting to see intermittent packet loss I wasn't previously.

The "blips" in the DS power levels are new, I haven't seen that happen before.

How low does the SNR need to get before calling and having them come out to troubleshoot is worth my and their time?
--
"I drank what?" -Socrates

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley
kudos:10

2 edits
*Edit to be clear:

From the official Comcast site, they stickied this collaboration that Nerd kindly posted:

»forums.comcast.com/t5/Basic-Inte···/1253575

Quote: • Downstream Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR): This number should be at least 33dB. Higher is better. Anything less than 33dB and you will probably have slow transfers, dropped connections, etc.

So, if they endorse this topic, then you have 1 dB to go.
--
In God we trust; all others bring data!

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA
said by Johkal:

From the official Comcast site, they stickied Nerd's topic:

»forums.comcast.com/t5/Basic-Inte···/1253575

Quote: • Downstream Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR): This number should be at least 33dB. Higher is better. Anything less than 33dB and you will probably have slow transfers, dropped connections, etc.

So, if they endorse this topic, then you have 1 dB to go.

Well some of them are dipping below 33, so yeah I guess I'll give it a little longer until the majority of the channels are below 33 and give them a call. Thanks!
--

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley
kudos:10
I think it personally sucks that you have to wait for it to go below 33 dB, but you know how the game is played.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA
said by Johkal:

I think it personally sucks that you have to wait for it to go below 33 dB, but you know how the game is played.

Yeah, kind of sucks but it's not terribly bad. At least it occurs during the day when only my wife is affected. j/k
--

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA
reply to Johkal
said by Johkal:

Had about a 20 minute outage last night (thanks for the heads up Comcsat ) and while the downstream didn't seem to change much, my US power dropped 3 dBmV. I already have an US-only attenuator to keep it from being too hot and now it's even hotter. It'd be down near 35-36 without that.

Seems like I just have a really noisy line and it may need to be balanced. US power is quite high while DS power (through only one two-way splitter) isn't all that high and the DS SNR is quite bad.

Perhaps I'm just on a long leg with many amps, dunno.
--

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
reply to pflog
Them levels are good.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA
said by rody_44:

Them levels are good.

32.9 SNR is "good" for DS SNR?

I expect it will be pushing 32.5 or 32.0 by the time we start hitting the 80s here if the trend continues.
--

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4
THEN CALL!!!!!

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA
reply to pflog
Modems only estimate downstream SNR. Most estimate incorrectly. Swap your modem and most likely the noise isnt the same along with the upstream and such. Do you really think a modem swap changes the signal or noise on the line?

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

1 recommendation

reply to gar187er
said by gar187er:

THEN CALL!!!!!

It's difficult to get them to do anything when I have an issue, but proactively asking them to fix something that will likely become problematic? Yeah right.

As Johkal See Profile said, we all know how this game works. You can't really call until you're having a problem. I can quote their forum's "33 or higher" value once at least half my channels are --

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA
reply to rody_44
said by rody_44:

Do you really think a modem swap changes the signal or noise on the line?

Where did I imply I wanted to swap the modem or that I thought it would matter?

I want them to come out and check the levels and find out why they're crappy. But I'm not going to foot a bill for them to come out until I know they won't try to blame me or tell me it's "fine" when it's not.
--

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
You didnt and i didnt say it would. What i said was if you swap your modems odds are it reports different levels and the fact is a modem swap doesnt change levels. Just means modem signal stats are not gods gift to subscribers and is for fact not accurate. Especialy when it comes to SNR. Something that is just a estimate to start with.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA
said by rody_44:

You didnt and i didnt say it would. What i said was if you swap your modems odds are it reports different levels and the fact is a modem swap doesnt change levels. Just means modem signal stats are not gods gift to subscribers and is for fact not accurate.

Ahh, I see. Thanks for the clarification.

I can call support and ask them to pull up the numbers the CMTS sees, which are accurate, right?
--

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
I would certainly trust comcasts software on signal levels before a cheap estimate. But my main point was if you are not having problems i wouldnt worry about it. Comcast has internal alarms that handles signal issues in my area. If they go red comcast sends a team out to investigate.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA
said by rody_44:

I would certainly trust comcasts software on signal levels before a cheap estimate. But my main point was if you are not having problems i wouldnt worry about it. Comcast has internal alarms that handles signal issues in my area. If they go red comcast sends a team out to investigate.

As stated in the OP, I am having problems, but they aren't major (yet). During the hottest parts of the day, I start seeing packet loss and restransmissions, etc. Like I said, I probably need to wait until it's more pronounced or I start losing sync, sadly.
--

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to pflog
Has it been affecting speed or connectivity? If it is, then I would go ahead and give a call, even if SNR is only "borderline".

If not, then yes, you probably should wait until performance is clearly affected.

I have never had a perfectly-balanced signal here (though it is within range) but have had rock-solid connectivity. As long as that is the case, I've got no beef.
--
Deeds, not words

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA
said by PeteC2:

I have never had a perfectly-balanced signal here (though it is within range) but have had rock-solid connectivity. As long as that is the case, I've got no beef.

yeah this signal has never been perfect (far from it), but I've never really had packet loss issues. Speeds seem to be ok so far, I mean the packet loss from this is much, much less than their "traffic policing" after PB ends, so it can't contribute much to raw speeds.

Where I've definitely noticed it is when I work from home and my VNC connection over VPN to work gets choppy/laggy, which has not been a problem until recently.
--

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast
Well, it is hard to judge how severe the performance issue is, but if it is getting to the point of being noticeable, then it may be time to get someone out there, if there are otherwise no known system-wide issues going on in your area.
--
Deeds, not words

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4
reply to pflog
you call , complain about speeds, disconnects, and ask for a tech to come out. thats all......why do people make it out to be harder then what it is?!
--
I'm better than you!

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA
said by gar187er:

you call , complain about speeds, disconnects, and ask for a tech to come out. thats all......why do people make it out to be harder then what it is?!

Because if they come out and claim to find nothing, I get charged for it. I don't know about you, but I don't like spending money I don't need to.
--

AnonMan

@comcast.net
reply to gar187er
If you can catch the signals out of spec logging into your modem, call at that moment, make them document the levels and send a tech. If the tech arrives and they have bounces back you just tell them it bounces around.

Keep playing this game. They won't bill you if it's documented at time of your call it is out of spec.

Noise issues are a perfect example. My area recently had an issue that only appeared a few times a day causing US SNR to dip and knock a bunch of people down. Every time they came all was fine.

Get the same guy enough he will normally open a ticket higher up. I now have maint crew number. They had me call them direct one day when it happened and he saw the entire node dip for about 3 minutes. By the time he drove to it issue was gone again. It made them investigate it though and 2 months later they found the issue to be someone who no longer has server was hooked up (which is fine everything is encrypted so they no longer disconnect) but when they got home from work everyday they did something to introduce noise on the line and when they was done it went away. Short story the disconnected and tagged it that if reconnected noise must be fixed.

So don't worry about them charging.

The only time the generally try to charge is if your inside home wire is bad or a router issue, If you can show documentation, screen shots or get techs to note at the time it was out of spec or having problems you are good. Enough calls of them doing nothing will prompt a higher level or sup to look into.