share rss forum feed

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
kudos:2

Rebooting your device

Do you do it, and if so, why and how long between reboots?

Not that I've had any problems, but I tend to restart the device after 60-72 hours or so. Probably due to an outdated habit I've had way back when devices lost connections to the towers, and had a paltry RAM in the KB/ MB range.
--
"I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots." ~ Albert Einstein

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3
Not very often, unless an app/update requires it. If something hinky is happening, I'll reboot then too. But my phone is pretty good, it's rarely necessary. LG730 Venice.

beck
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-29
On The Road
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Stablehost.com
reply to Juggernaut
Previous ROM had a memory leak, so every couple days. But it also didn't have speaker phone sound, so it's gone. I have a new ROM with the memory leak fixed so I don't have to boot because of that. So, I reboot every couple days because of a problem with the home button that is caused by software. Waiting for the fix. Then, as long as things are ok, I won't reboot much at all.

chmod
Premium
join:2000-12-12
Lockport, IL

1 recommendation

reply to Juggernaut
Current uptime is 198:58:19, so over 8 days. Last time I rebooted was to update my kernel.

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC
Cool. I'm just over 69 hours now. I think I'll try to break my habit, and ride it out. Let's see what happens!

adrman
Premium
join:2007-08-23
New York, NY
reply to Juggernaut
About the only time I reboot is when I update my rom or kernel.

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to Juggernaut
said by Juggernaut:

Cool. I'm just over 69 hours now. I think I'll try to break my habit, and ride it out. Let's see what happens!

Never too old to live dangerously.

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC

1 recommendation

Heh. Just a rebel without a clue...

mromero
Premium
join:2000-12-07
The O.C.
reply to Juggernaut
only do it when flashing a new update to my rom or kernel or radios

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
reply to Juggernaut
Depends how many knowing or not background apps you allow... generally I would say once a week just to clean things up.
--

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
Key West, FL
reply to adrman
said by adrman:

About the only time I reboot is when I update my rom or kernel.

Rooted and Rom'ed is rather different than normal.
--

pcdebb
RIP lil hurricane
Premium
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Bright House
reply to Juggernaut
i never reboot unless my device (Nexus 7) is acting wierd or someting. Only been rebooted once since i've bought it
--
| map your city |

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
Key West, FL
reply to Juggernaut
Not really want to keep start up apps under control and those that can't be stopped....

Every few day when things get slower than they should be.
--

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
Key West, FL

2 edits
reply to La Luna
said by La Luna:

Not very often, unless an app/update requires it.

Well WINblows and Crapple often does but I have never had an Android app REQUIRE that. Or even Crapple iDevice
--

CompUser

join:2001-11-07
Ada, OH
reply to Juggernaut
I was over 600 hours on my phone and tablet this last time before I changed roms on them, again.
As long everything behaves, I don't reboot them.

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC
600 hours? Nice.

Again, I think I started this 'habit' a long time ago, and is outdated. Currently at 120 hours, and no issues.

nekkidtruth
YISMM
Premium
join:2002-05-20
London, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to Hayward
said by Hayward:

said by La Luna:

Well WINblows and Crapple often does but I have never had an Android app REQUIRE that. Or even Crapple iDevice

Yes there are.
--
Weeeeeee

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
Key West, FL
said by nekkidtruth:

said by Hayward:

said by La Luna:

Yes there are.

Well a system software update yes... but I have never run into an App that required a reboot at install or update..
--

nekkidtruth
YISMM
Premium
London, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Rogers Hi-Speed

1 recommendation

said by Hayward:

Well a system software update yes... but I have never run into an App that required a reboot at install or update..

No, apps as well. There are multiple apps/tools that do all sorts of things to the phone that require you to reboot in order for those changes to take effect. Just because you personally haven't come across them, doesn't mean they don't exist.

Two examples off the top of my head ROM Toolbox and AdAway. Although AdAway doesn't force it.
--
Weeeeeee

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
Key West, FL
said by nekkidtruth:

Two examples off the top of my head ROM Toolbox and AdAway. Although AdAway doesn't force it.

Well sure if modified devices and rumaging around in ROOT and ROM level stuff... of course that stuff can require a a reboot... equivalent to a system update.

On a stock device I have never run into it on an app level.
--

nekkidtruth
YISMM
Premium
London, ON
Regardless, it happens and there are apps that like reboots
--
Weeeeeee

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
Key West, FL

2 edits
But I wouldn't really call them Apps (as most think of the term) at that point either much more core/dev/mgt system tools.
--

nekkidtruth
YISMM
Premium
London, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Rogers Hi-Speed
But they are apps. Not sure what there is to argue about? You said you weren't aware of any apps that require you to reboot, I explained there are. You may not have used any...but they exist...
--
Weeeeeee

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
Key West, FL

1 edit
said by nekkidtruth:

But they are apps. Not sure what there is to argue about? You said you weren't aware of any apps that require you to reboot, I explained there are. You may not have used any...but they exist...

Maybe something unique to Android (Certainly Craple doesn't even allow with more invasively named jail break... again don't even allow)

Unless you want to say ANYTHING is an app... most think game, facebook, file manager or whatever not system rooting/ALTERING TOOLS....

Again I would see an APP as a benign thing... not some thing that digs in (and would require a reset) as an invasive system ALTERING TOOL.

Unless you think that App just defines ANYTHING and there is no differentiation of passive and very you don't know what you are doing harmful invasive. Two very different things.
--

nekkidtruth
YISMM
Premium
London, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Rogers Hi-Speed
Considering they are called apps...I would say that yes, they are apps. Apps do all sorts of different things. Whether they are benign or not doesn't determine whether they are an app. The term app is applied to all applications (where the word is derived from). We can split hairs on what said apps do, but they are still apps. Therefore, there are apps that require rebooting. *shrug*
--
Weeeeeee

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
Key West, FL

1 edit
Buts that what I am try to get at in the Win and Mac there are a variety of things.... AV entertainment, games, utilities, tools, personal managers, etc...

Some how in Android EVERYTHING has just become a generic App... no matter how intense or dangerous for someone not knowing what they are doing because it was not described well, and normally clicking isn't bricking, but can in Android easily be, without proper understanding.... or if lucky just screwed up as often the case in these threads.

For intance I am really ammuzed by bad reviews of something that might have a name that suggest it might be a game... gets 1 star reviews because it isn't. And its not just beause they are morons

But again that is much a problem of just everything is just an App with no real classification of specifics.

--

nekkidtruth
YISMM
Premium
London, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Rogers Hi-Speed
They are all applications in Windows and Macs as well. You're referring to category of apps. These applications may fall under a specific category sure, but they're still apps.

This is the same across all mobile devices, desktop devices and anything else that runs based off of any type of OS. For all intents and purposes, a game is still an application. It's simply an entertaining application.

But this discussion is going way off topic. I get what you're saying, but it really has little to do with the topic. There are applications on the Android platform that require rebooting.
--
Weeeeeee

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
Key West, FL

4 edits
said by nekkidtruth:

There are applications on the Android platform that require rebooting.

But not common ones ONLY rooting/rom TOOLS... again on the level of a stock device ONLY a system update.

And just look at Play.... top free, top paid, trending, new free new paid... but again they are all in ONE huge common LUMP, and Amazon Market about the same.

And yes you can category search for them that way but not how presented...

And you seem to seem to see all the same too... yes root/rom TOOLS might need a system reboot NO other what most think of as plain old apps NOT modified device SYSTEM LEVEL TOOLs don't.
--

nekkidtruth
YISMM
Premium
London, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Rogers Hi-Speed
Ok so this will be the last time I'm responding to you about this because it seems like we're going in circles.

There are apps that need/want a reboot on the Android platform. Doesn't matter what those apps are or what they do, they are still apps and still require a reboot. Split hairs, categorize them, research them, ignore them...do whatever you want with them. The fact remains, they exist. Which is all I was saying. If you want to debate the term "app" or "application" and how, when or why it's used, have at it. Start a thread up.

Ultimately, there are apps on Android that require you to reboot.
--
Weeeeeee

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
Key West, FL
said by nekkidtruth:

There are apps that need/want a reboot on the Android platform. Doesn't matter what those apps are or what they do, they are still apps and still require a reboot. Split hairs, categorize them, research them, ignore them..

But again the part you just don't get.... and the way Android is marketed that some thing a utility is a game... is that in your thinking APPS are just APPS doesn't matter what they are... again in WIN and Mac (even Linux) always classified... but not happening in Android that way just with out searching all lumped together... leading to confusion and likely the TOOL you are talking about likely aren't even in Play or Amazon and third party... all the more reason you shouldn't just be calling them generic apps.

Yes they are applications... but with out definition what does that mean... just like saying dirt under your feet... some very usefully minerals for SOME... other its still all just DIRT.
--