uniqs
47717768 (banned)
join:2003-12-08
Birmingham, AL

2 edits

47717768 (banned) to dandelion

to dandelion

Re: [General] Telemarketers qustion

I am suspecting so called "Do not call list" database was compromised or sold.

If you would ask me how? I would say someone who works for FTC has sold the database to the telemarketing companies. Just think about it, how many Federal agents got busted for an illegal activity in the past.

By the way FTC's site was hack into before »cylaw.info/ftc-gov-hacke ··· -leaked/

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536

Premium Member

said by 47717768:

I am suspecting so called "Do not call list" database was compromised or sold.

If you would ask me how? I would say someone who works for FTC has sold the database to the telemarketing companies. Just think about it, how many Federal agents got busted for an illegal activity in the past.

By the way FTC's site was hack into before »cylaw.info/ftc-gov-hacke ··· -leaked/

some bottomfeeders use DNC as their call list[fines are just a cost of doing bizzy]
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave

Premium Member

That seems to be a poor strategy: targetting people who've already said they don't want to talk to you, and hoping that they want to talk to you.

Statistically unlikely to do better than random dialling, I'd suppose.

Mr Neutron
Impassioned Gibberish
Premium Member
join:2005-05-30
Gorham, ME

Mr Neutron

Premium Member

said by dave:

That seems to be a poor strategy: targetting people who've already said they don't want to talk to you, and hoping that they want to talk to you.

Statistically unlikely to do better than random dialling, I'd suppose.

This is just a guess, but: I suspect that a fair number of people on the DNC registry are elderly folks who have had their numbers registered for them by relatives who understand just how susceptible the elderly can be to people with whom they talk (even over the telephone).

The sound of a human voice can count for a lot with some people, even if the voice in question is connected to a brain whose only intention is to sell you things you don't need and can't really afford.