uniqs
share rss forum feed

zaedas99

join:2012-03-06
Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX

Warranty covering my nexus 4

Hey guys.

Since this morning, i've been thinking seriously about the purchase i did at the Source.

I bought a brand new Nexus 4 there alongside getting a new contract. Everything went well up until he offered a warranty for the phone. First, He told me that he could cover for 70$ any kind of defect with my phone for 3 years, which means anything aside water damage, physical damage, etc. I declined that offer.

But then he goes on and offer me something called an "advanced" warranty, which for 120$, cover ANY kind of defect, including drops (in other words, physical damages) and water damage. On top of it, he told me that i could make them change the battery only once during the time of my warranty (but i read somewhere that the nexus's 4 battery is not removable?).

So to summarize the offer, 1 battery and water/physical/defect damage covered for 3 years, for 120$.

I was really happy to get my nexus that day so i kind of accepted without much thinking.

Now i'm wondering if i wasn't scammed. On my invoice, it says that i did pay for something that cost 120$, that starts on 14/03/2013 and ends on 14/03/2016.

But nowhere on the invoice itself is wrote what is covered or what the warranty is for. I'm a little worried about that... Should i?

All in all, could you guys recommend advice on what to do for now? Should i keep the warranty? Or get me refunded? I believe i have up to 14 days to get anything - including the contract - refunded to me. So i guess i could always just make them refund my warranty only to me.

Anyway, thanks in advance for your advices,

zaedas99

EDIT :

I forgot to precise, i live in canada.

Here is a link to the store : www.thesource.ca/

And since i've read this, i'm worrying even more : »fabulouslyfrugirl.wordpress.com/···-part-1/

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
kudos:2

The warranty should state in clear terms, what is and what is not covered. Ask for documentation to verify it. If they can't or won't, get it refunded.
--
"I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots." ~ Albert Einstein

fourboxers
Co-Lead Mod
join:2003-05-04
Toronto, ON
reply to zaedas99

This plan?
»www.thesource.ca/estore/content/···ge=en-CA

zaedas99

Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX

That sounds like it... But it does not seems to have anything regarding physical damage.

I'll probably go there and ask for documentation or a print of a second invoice that states everything covered. If they won't do it, i'll get my warranty refunded. I'm getting a case and a screen protector this week anyway so :/

fourboxers
Co-Lead Mod
join:2003-05-04
Toronto, ON

You can click the full pdf from that page, it looks like they will give you a one time product replacement refurb

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC

Not so good for a warranty then. Personally, I'd get a refund.

zaedas99

Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX
reply to fourboxers

said by fourboxers:

You can click the full pdf from that page, it looks like they will give you a one time product replacement refurb

[att=1]

Getting a refurb is really not great at all :/.

Also, the battery thingy is worrying me a lot. How the hell are they going to replace a battery that you aren't supposed to be able to, like in the nexus 4?

zaedas99

Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX
reply to Juggernaut

said by Juggernaut:

Not so good for a warranty then. Personally, I'd get a refund.

I'm seriously thinking about that. + it's 120$... It's quite expensive :/.

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC
reply to zaedas99

The battery is replaceable. The 2 #5 torx screws on the bottom have to be removed, and the case opened that's all.

It's just not user replaceable.
--
"I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots." ~ Albert Einstein

zaedas99

Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX

said by Juggernaut:

The battery is replaceable. The 2 #5 torx screws on the bottom have to be removed, and the case opened that's all.

It's just not user replaceable.

How is that not "user replaceable"?

What could prevent me from opening it, aside of voiding my warranty?

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC

Nothing can stop you. It's just generally something the average user wouldn't do.

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON
reply to fourboxers

i often purchase extended warranties, but this isn't a very good one for $120...if you have a credit card with protection coverage on it, just use that.

FiReSTaRT
Premium
join:2010-02-26
Canada
Reviews:
·Velcom

2 recommendations

Store warranties... Keep buyin'em DJ and I'll keep enjoying lower retail prices of the products that I buy without those warranties.. Buy some Monster (R) cables while you're at it

jaberi

join:2010-08-13
reply to zaedas99

Save Money and Skip the Cell Phone Insurance for Your New iPhone 5

»www.gobankingrates.com/savings-a···r-worth/

Expand your moderator at work

jaberi

join:2010-08-13
reply to zaedas99

Re: Warranty covering my nexus 4

Credit Cards Can Offer Better Protection

Certain cash-back rewards credit cards actually offer to double the length of the manufacturer's warranty, free of charge. This alone should give you more than enough coverage.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to FiReSTaRT

said by FiReSTaRT:

Store warranties... Keep buyin'em DJ and I'll keep enjoying lower retail prices of the products that I buy without those warranties.. Buy some Monster (R) cables while you're at it

What do they say, a fool and his money are easily parted?
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

FiReSTaRT
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Velcom

said by elwoodblues:

I wouldn't go that far, but so far, I haven't bought a single item for which the extended warranty would have made sense. Extended warranties and overpriced accessories are ways for retailers to stay afloat while racing to the bottom with big ticket item pricing.
--
If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas.
—George Bernard Shaw

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia

When I bought my Flat Screen TV there was a big mix up and they sent me the bottom of the line instead of TOL, after finally getting a hold of someone, i convinced them to give me another years warranty.

If not used, you could cash it in, for store credit. those kinds of warranties make sense,.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

zaedas99

Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX

1 edit
reply to jaberi

said by jaberi:

Credit Cards Can Offer Better Protection

Certain cash-back rewards credit cards actually offer to double the length of the manufacturer's warranty, free of charge. This alone should give you more than enough coverage.

said by dirtyjeffer:

i often purchase extended warranties, but this isn't a very good one for $120...if you have a credit card with protection coverage on it, just use that.

Would you guys mind going on on that subject? I did pay with my credit card, so i'd be interested to know. I have a mastercard "silver" (no annual fees)

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON

you will need to read your cardholder agreement to see if your card carries an extended warranty option...many premium cards do (don't necessarily have to have an annual fee)...if you need to make a claim, in most cases, you contact the credit card company, register the claim, and you would then go to a store and either pay for the repair or replace the item...you then notify the credit card company, and they will issue you a credit for the value of said purchase...it is a pretty decent process, but does take some time and legwork to do.
--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
reply to FiReSTaRT

said by FiReSTaRT:

said by elwoodblues:

I wouldn't go that far, but so far, I haven't bought a single item for which the extended warranty would have made sense. Extended warranties and overpriced accessories are ways for retailers to stay afloat while racing to the bottom with big ticket item pricing.

that's been your experience...mine has been very different.

i purchased a $90 warranty on flat top stove we bought several years ago...i had it repaired 3 times over 5 years...a thermostat once and the main board twice...the basic repair was $150, but both main board repairs were about $450 each...none of which we paid for, as we had the extended warranty...my plasma TV was having some issues a couple of years ago and it too had its main board replaced...it was about $750 for that repair, but covered under my extended warranty, which was about $200...while there has been items i haven't used it on, i have used it on a fair number of items.
--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in

That tells me you a) bought several lemons or b) bought such a pieces of junk that the extended warranty was required

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON

said by elwoodblues:

That tells me you a) bought several lemons or b) bought such a pieces of junk that the extended warranty was required

lemons perhaps...i don't buy junk.

corster
Premium
join:2002-02-23
Gatineau, QC
reply to dirtyjeffer

said by dirtyjeffer:

Just remember that credit card warranties generally only cover you up to the amount charged on the card - for most people, in the case of cell phones, this means they'll only cover up to the $100 or so you paid for the phone, not the replacement value.

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON

said by corster:

Just remember that credit card warranties generally only cover you up to the amount charged on the card - for most people, in the case of cell phones, this means they'll only cover up to the $100 or so you paid for the phone, not the replacement value.

correct...if you paid $100 for the phone on a 3 year contract, but the regular price is $500, they will only cover you for the $100.
--

- George Orwell

FiReSTaRT
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Velcom

DJ, I guess you had pretty unique experience.. Those extended warranties are so profitable for the retailers that they can afford to maintain very slim margins on the actual items. So far I've never even had to rely on the manufacturer's warranty and I can honestly say that I've never bought an item for which the extended warranty would have made financial sense. Ok, there was one fridge, but it had more to do with the way the tenants are using it in the summer (keeping their booze cool in the freezer), but the "fix" (more of a modification) for that involved a 16" piece of 14ga wire and 15min of my time.
--
If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas.
—George Bernard Shaw

shaner
Premium
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB
reply to zaedas99

said by zaedas99:

said by fourboxers:

[att=1]

To be fair, let's say your phone breaks and it's sent in for repair. They fix it and *presto* your phone is now a refurbished phone. So, instead of waiting weeks for your own refurbished phone to find its way back from the repair depot back to you, they give you a different refurbished phone over the counter. It's no big deal really.

Now, as for the warranty you bought, I'd return it. From the looks of it, physical damage is not covered and I'd be pretty pissed if I went to make a claim and it wasn't covered. Personally, I really don't understand why. These warranty companies pay out such a small percentage of extended warranties, it's not like they lose anything on the deal.

However, this is why AppleCare+ is the best warranty period. No dickering, and OTC replacements for a reasonable price.
--
I'm a man, but I can change. If I have to. I guess.

»shaner38.blogspot.com/

zaedas99

Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX

said by shaner:

said by zaedas99:

said by fourboxers:

[att=1]

To be fair, let's say your phone breaks and it's sent in for repair. They fix it and *presto* your phone is now a refurbished phone. So, instead of waiting weeks for your own refurbished phone to find its way back from the repair depot back to you, they give you a different refurbished phone over the counter. It's no big deal really.

Now, as for the warranty you bought, I'd return it. From the looks of it, physical damage is not covered and I'd be pretty pissed if I went to make a claim and it wasn't covered. Personally, I really don't understand why. These warranty companies pay out such a small percentage of extended warranties, it's not like they lose anything on the deal.

However, this is why AppleCare+ is the best warranty period. No dickering, and OTC replacements for a reasonable price.

I kind of agree with you, but somehow, i like it when i know it's "my phone". Can't really explain why. I just feel like it!

As for everyone who participated in this thread, i want to thank you very much. After thinking about what everything was said here, i decided to get refunded. It feels so nice to get that 140$ back :P (with taxes)

OverrRyde

join:2007-04-10
Waterdown, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to dirtyjeffer

said by dirtyjeffer:

said by corster:

correct...if you paid $100 for the phone on a 3 year contract, but the regular price is $500, they will only cover you for the $100.

This is true, but this only applies under "purchase security" which covers ANYTHING that happens in the first 3 months/90 days of purchase... Anything. So yes, in essense, if you loose your phone, you can only get back what you paid for. However this does not apply as i state below.

Extended warranty DUPLICATES the original manufacturers warranty and there is no maximum $ amount under this portion of the insurance. As long as it is or would have been covered under the manufacturers warranty, it will be covered under extended warranty. If there is a max $ amount that would be as stipulated by the manufacturers warranty.