dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870

Re: [HD] Maybe this means more HD will follow...

maybe I am getting cynical but what if when Verizon does the MPEG4 conversion they move almost their entire set of national HD MPEG2 channels to 3 to a QAM and free up even more space then most people are expecting?
crgauth
join:2004-05-18
Glen Burnie, MD

crgauth

I didn't think that some of the MPEG2 would fit more than 2/QAM without compression. And so far, Verizon has not done any compression of channels.
46436203 (banned)
join:2013-01-03

46436203 (banned) to motorola870

to motorola870
said by motorola870:

maybe I am getting cynical but what if when Verizon does the MPEG4 conversion they move almost their entire set of national HD MPEG2 channels to 3 to a QAM and free up even more space then most people are expecting?

They've already done this because there aren't many MPEG-2 channels distributed at bitrates higher than 3-to-a-QAM (~13 Mbps).

Very few channels have a bitrate higher than 13 Mbps on Verizon anymore. AXS.tv and HDNet Movies are the only two natively distributed MPEG-2 @ 13+ Mbps ones I can think of.

Verizon re-encodes some of the MPEG-4 distributed channels to 17 Mbps MPEG-2 though. It's been a while since I've checked but EPIX and ESPN were two examples of this. Pretty wasteful. Will be nice when they can just pass these on through because I doubt the ESPN and EPIX MPEG-4 satellite distribution feeds have bitrates as high as Verizon is re-encoding them to as MPEG-2.