santy
Don't Follow Me, I'M Lost Too
Premium,MVM
join:2001-06-10
Wilmington, IL
kudos:1

1 recommendation

Going to switch to comcast

Hi all. I'm thinking of switching to comcast from att dsl service. I have a couple of questions I need answered. I've decided on a Zoom modem model 5341-J but on Bestbuys site they have 2 different ones listed with the same number..

5341-J Sku # 2847634 upc # 726947110649
and
5341-J Sku # 4752821 upc # 726947110793
Whats the difference? and is there any difference.

Most other places that I have checked show the second one at least as I can tell by picture and spec's.

Second question I have is the router I'm using is only about a month old. It's a Netgear ProSafe VPN Firewall 8 port router # FVS318 v3 is that going to be compatible with IPV6 or will I have to find a new router.
I'm going to get either the performance tier (20/4 with PB) or the blast tier which is shown as 30 down (50/10 with PB) I'm leaning towards the blast tier as the price is 10 bucks more a month for the first 12 months according to the website.

Thank you in advance for any and all answers.
--
You don't quit playing 'cause you're OLD. You're old BECAUSE you quit playing!!

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
A 5341J is a 5341J...won't be any difference, they only make that model one way (as long as it isn't the predecessor 5341).

Not familiar with that router...maybe someone else here?
--
Deeds, not words

noc007

join:2002-06-18
Cumming, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to santy
Do you see any IPv6 options in the router's config such as DHCP and/or firewall rules? Any mention of IPv6 in the manual?

I'm guessing it doesn't at the moment unless you can answer "Yes" to one of the above questions. The Reference Manual from January 2012 makes no mention of IPv6, the Reference Manual from June 2003 only has a couple of entries in the glossary, and it's not listed on IPv6 router compatibility page. If it doesn't support IPv6 and you need/want it, I suggest trying to return it or Ebay it.

THZNDUP
Deorum Offensa Diis Curae
Premium
join:2003-09-18
Lard
kudos:2
reply to santy
There doesn't seem to be any difference in the two modems except that SKU #2847634 has the wrong picture, costs $10 less and is sold/fullfilled by BestBuy. It is also the same SKU that I bought a few months ago at a BestBuy store.

SKU#4752821 is sold/fullfilled by Best.com/Rakuten.com Shopping.
--
one should not increase, beyond what is necessary, the number of entities required to explain anything

LordStig

join:2011-06-15
Fremont, CA
reply to santy
The FVS318 is not going to be IPv6 compatible. I used to use a FVS318G (gigabit version) and that did not have IPv6 functionality. Furthermore on that model WAN-LAN throughput was only 25Mbps. It look like the FVS318 is only 12.5. Presuming that you subscribe to Blast (50/10) that is going to limit your speed significantly. Also there is no powerboost, it will be a sustained 50/10.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to santy
Just so you know what you're getting, just go to your local Best Buy and pick one up in person.

I would go with the Motorola 6141 as that is 8x4 channel bonding. I personally have no experience with Zoom modems so I cannot speak for their quality but I've had good luck with Arris and Motorola. I prefer to buy Motorola when I buy an HSI modem and Arris for CDV modems.

Just whatever modem you buy make sure it is DOCSIS 3.0 and 8x4 channel bonding capable.
--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner. They are much better than broadcast TV.

I have not and will not cut the cord.

halfempty

join:2001-04-28
Miami, FL
reply to santy
Don't know if this helps, but I just bought one of these at my local BestBuy and the UPC is the first one you mentioned.

Clever_Proxy
Premium
join:2004-05-14
Villa Park, IL
reply to santy
I'm in agreement with IowaCowboy See Profile. I have been using the Motorola modems ever since I've had service with Comcast. They are tried and true. The 614X series seems to be very future proof with 8 channel bonding and IPv6.

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL

1 recommendation

But the Motorola's seemed to run into issues with the upstream channel bonding. That said, there have been two firmware updates that hopefully fix some of them. The latest hopefully fixes the issue where one upstream would get stuck disabled in a T4 timeout.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
Bristol, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast

2 recommendations

I think that either the Zoom 5341J or the Motorola SB6141 are good choices. Generally, you will find the Zoom 5341J about $10 less than the SB6141.

For whatever reasons, the Zoom 5341J has appeared to have less firmware issues than either the older SB6121 or SB6141 modems, but I don't think that is a long-term issue.

The Cisco DPC 3008 also had firmware issues at one point, but resolved and now performs well...just not commonly found at local stores, but otherwise, also a good choice.
--
Deeds, not words

noc007

Cumming, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to santy
Based on a number of previous posts, the Zoom 5341J was more tolerant of poor signals. Some that had a Moto modem regularly rebooting due to signals were resolved by switching to the Zoom modem. Perhaps it's fixed in newer firmware.

I personally picked up one a few weeks ago based on feedback from here and it's been a marked improvement over the leased POS I had. BTW, I generally favor Motorola, but the feedback just didn't seem like it was the best choice to me.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10
reply to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

I would go with the Motorola 6141 as that is 8x4 channel bonding.

Just whatever modem you buy make sure it is DOCSIS 3.0 and 8x4 channel bonding capable.

FWIW, so is the 5341J.

santy
Premium,MVM
Wilmington, IL

1 recommendation

reply to santy
Thanks everyone. I will get a 5341J . I was just confused by the difference in pictures ( I know don't count on em.) and the upc #'s I thought every one would have the same upc code as long as it was the same model number. Tiger Direct has a B&M store near me and they show online the second modem I listed with same upc code. It's also a few bucks cheaper than Best Buy.

As far as my router goes I'll have to dig into it some more as I tend to agree that it won't be IPV6 compatible unless they have a firmware update. If I have speed issues then it'll be time for a new router.

Any more comments will be welcomed as I finalize where to buy the Zoom modem and dig into my router for the other questions. Problem is I need a router with a minimum of 8 ports but still small enough to fit into my structured media cabinet. Otherwise I'll have to make up around 10 new patch cables to move the router elsewhere.
--

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10

1 recommendation

said by santy:

Problem is I need a router with a minimum of 8 ports but still small enough to fit into my structured media cabinet. Otherwise I'll have to make up around 10 new patch cables to move the router elsewhere.

FWIW, consumer grade SOHO routers typically come with only four LAN ports but you can use an ethernet switch connected to one of the LAN ports as a port extender.

santy
Premium,MVM
Wilmington, IL
I understand that. It's one of the reasons I went with the netgear. It is supposedly business class (at least small business.) I know netgear also makes a 16 or 24 port version of what I have but I don't know the dimensions of them. I'll worry about that if this netgear router causes speed issues or other problems with Comcast.

I'll be going to Best Buy on the way home from work to pick up the Zoom modem and then call them for an install.

Nice thing about this house is the coax from outside to inside the house is only 4 years old. I bought the house brand new in 2007 and it has never had cable brought to the house yet.
--

noc007

Cumming, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to santy
said by santy:

As far as my router goes I'll have to dig into it some more as I tend to agree that it won't be IPV6 compatible unless they have a firmware update. If I have speed issues then it'll be time for a new router.

Any more comments will be welcomed as I finalize where to buy the Zoom modem and dig into my router for the other questions. Problem is I need a router with a minimum of 8 ports but still small enough to fit into my structured media cabinet. Otherwise I'll have to make up around 10 new patch cables to move the router elsewhere.

If IPv6, speed, and switch ports are high on your priority list, you'll probably be better served going with a separate router and network switch. Routers and switches can be small and unless the space you have are the dimensions of a USPS Small FRB, I'm pretty sure you could fit both in that space. Worst case is you have to move two cables and put your router elsewhere. I can make some suggestions for both if you'd like; I just did an upgrade of practically all my networking equipment recently.

santy
Premium,MVM
Wilmington, IL
Thank you. I might take you up on that if I discover I have problems.

NetDog
Premium,VIP
join:2002-03-04
Parker, CO
kudos:80

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to santy
I like the fact everyone here is asking IPv6 questions, in my mind IPv6 is required in any new product I buy in the market...

santy
Premium,MVM
Wilmington, IL

1 recommendation

reply to santy
OK. I figured I'd just add to this thread instead of creating a new one. Install went just fine on Sunday, (they still need to come out and trench/bury the cable from the overhead to the house).

Since I only have HSI, the tech just connected the cable via a grounding block directly to the lead from the house.

Once inside he hooked up his meter and found my signals a little high I think, put in a splitter that knocked it down by 7db and they came out good per the meter, he then called and got the modem configured and made sure I could surf the internet before leaving.

I found out that the NETGEAR business class router/firewall I had limits thru put to about 7 Mbps down and 6Mbps up. Needless to say it went back and I exchanged it for a NETGEAR WNDR3700v4 and all is great now. I am happy as a lark as my dad would say. Below is a shot of my speed test.

»stage.results.speedtest.comcast.···0532.png

Oh just a small quick question too. Zoom modem and the router and my computer are IPV6 compatible but yet I'm pulling IPV4 address. Any particular reason? Or is it that they just haven't rolled IPV6 out in the south suburbs of Chicago?
--

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
Bristol, CT

1 recommendation

I don't know about the Chicago area, but my area has yet to go to IPv6 either. From what I've read, most areas should be IPv6 by this summer.

Your gear is fine for when IPv6 does hit your area.
--
Deeds, not words

santy
Premium,MVM
Wilmington, IL
That what I figured. I just thought I remembered getting an IPV6 addy when I was testing with no router in place but maybe I'm just confused.

As a side note, I can't believe that Netgear would make a business class router that throttles thru speed that much. And I was the only user at the time. So much for believing that business class is any better than consumer/residential equipment.
--

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
Bristol, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by santy:

That what I figured. I just thought I remembered getting an IPV6 addy when I was testing with no router in place but maybe I'm just confused.

Or maybe not. Like I said, I am not familiar with the Chicago area as to whether or not it has gone IPv6. I know the Netgear is IPv6 enabled. Perhaps there is a setting that needs to be changed or turned on? Others here could probably advise you on both counts.
--
Deeds, not words

DaveX510

@comcast.net
reply to santy
I have the v3 even though I cant check the gui right now cause I don't have stock firmware on it but I believe you have to turn it on somewhere under advanced settings.

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
join:2001-08-19
kudos:23

1 recommendation

reply to santy
Do poke around in your router pages, santy. I have an earlier version of that router and you do need to enable IPv6 for it to pick up native IP.
--
Join Team Helix * I am praying for these friends .

NetDog
Premium,VIP
Parker, CO
reply to santy
Comcast Chicago area is IPv6 ready...

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
Bristol, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by NetDog:

Comcast Chicago area is IPv6 ready...

...which makes sortofageek's advice a really good idea!
--
Deeds, not words

santy
Premium,MVM
Wilmington, IL
reply to santy
Click for full size
OK, had to fire up the old XP laptop as I couldn't find anything like MS Paint on Win 7 PRO 64 bit, but here is the screen shot of my IPV6 router page. See if I have to change any settings. Also I just rebooted the Zoom modem and I'm still pulling an IPV4 addy.
--

NetDog
Premium,VIP
Parker, CO
Oh one small detail make sure your cable modem is on this list of approved IPv6 CPE modems. »mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/?s=i&so···1&sc=519

What kind of modem do you have?
--
Comcaster.. Network Engineer with NETO

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
He just bought a Zoom 5341J in preparation for the install.

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod

1 edit
reply to santy
santy, on your IPv6 page for your router, that pick list where you have DHCP selected ... is there a choice for auto config or auto detect or similar? If so, try that and then Apply.
--
Join Team Helix * I am praying for these friends .