spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

slajoh01

join:2005-04-23

[WIN7] Win7 Licensing/Activation question

I just bought a 32bit OEM version of Win7 and installed it on my machine just now with the product key included on the COA sticker on the disk cover. It has been also activated.

My question is, lets say if I buy a new PC down the road, will I also have to buy a new copy of Win7 disk even If I have one now with the product key included?

Thanks

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

Technically it's tied to the motherboard if its an OEM licence.

In practice I have never seen microsoft fail to activate as long as the key is only in use on one machine (even if you have to end up talking to them on the phone).

here are the official rules: »www.microsoft.com/oem/en/licensi···faq.aspx

slajoh01

So the answer would be yes, I do have to buy a new copy of Win7 disc when getting a new PC.

Or lets say, I have installed it on my desktop PC like I said, and then I have a notebook as well, will this disc work on the notebook too or not? Or, will I have to buy another copy for the notebook as well?

dib22

Kansas City, MO

Yes because it is another motherboard.

Technically the laptop should have a key of it's own. If you don't have the original laptop discs, and it came with the same level of windows 7 (home,pro, ultimate) you can use the install disc to re-install (you might need to call them to get the key activated since it will notice that that key is being applied to a system builder install instead of an mfg install).

If the laptop is licensed for a prior windows version then you would technically need to buy an upgrade.

Basically the way they seem to deal with the keys are, if you outgrow your motherboard you will have to buy windows again (which is usually included on retail computers anyway). One way or another MS is gonna get its $100, either from you or the mfg of the pc

slajoh01

What is the phone number in case I have to call them to activate?
And what information is needed from them when i call?
Only the product key?
Please explain the steps. Thanks.

dib22

Kansas City, MO

said by slajoh01:

What is the phone number in case I have to call them to activate?
And what information is needed from them when i call?
Only the product key?
Please explain the steps. Thanks.

It appears on the screen when it complains that it cannot activate. Just follow the onscreen instructions.

»support.microsoft.com/kb/950929

Shootist
Premium
join:2003-02-10
Decatur, GA
kudos:3
reply to slajoh01

said by slajoh01:

So the answer would be yes, I do have to buy a new copy of Win7 disc when getting a new PC.

Or lets say, I have installed it on my desktop PC like I said, and then I have a notebook as well, will this disc work on the notebook too or not? Or, will I have to buy another copy for the notebook as well?

IF YOU BUY, Note the Word BUY, a new computer that mean you are buying it from a OEM system builder, which usually means it is from Dell, HP or the like company, it will normally Include a copy of a Windows operating system, whether that is Win 7 or 8 or whatever it is at the time you BUY IT.

If you are BUILDING a new system from parts you buy then yes you will need to purchase another License Key for whichever version Windows you want to install on it.

OEM versions can NOT be transferred from one set of hardware to another. At least not easily and if you are successful in doing a transfer you might have to go through that transfer process every time it is reinstalled on that second set of hardware.
--
Shooter Ready--Stand By BEEP ********