how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ohh

join:2011-07-16
San Jose, CA

Ram question

Soo... I just ordered the »www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···13131818 off newegg.. it comes with 8gb of gskill.. its the same speed, size and voltage etc as the ram I previously got.

I bought this off amazon a week or two ago.. »www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006EW···F8&psc=1

Will the one gskill play nice with the two vegeance? If so I'll have 24gb! Or do I need to fill in all 4 slots?

ohh

San Jose, CA

I am not sure if the person is full of fuck, but »www.tomshardware.com/forum/28517···nel-mobo

They said if you run three sticks you do not get dual channel? Is this a degradation of performance?

lol ty for answering my nooblet questions all the time btw.

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA

Newer systems have the ability to run in partial dual-channel mode with an odd number of modules. Using three 2 GB sticks as an example, the first 4 GB would be dual-channel, but the last 2 GB wouldn't. Asus explains this on chapter 2, page 6 in the manual if you want more info.

Unless you're running multiple VMs or something, I'd stick to the 16 GB kit, but it's up to you .
--
KI6RIT

ohh

San Jose, CA

Ah, I see. So... up to 16gb it'll be fast dual channel blah blah stuff.. then the 16 to 24 it is slower? or does it bork the whole thing as a whole? VMs are fun..!

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA

said by ohh:

Ah, I see. So... up to 16gb it'll be fast dual channel blah blah stuff.. then the 16 to 24 it is slower?

Yes. To be honest, it probably won't be very noticeable, if at all.
--
KI6RIT

ohh

San Jose, CA

That is great news! Thank you I appreciate your help. I did 16gb at first, because some streamer/gamers I've talked to used 8gb or more and decided they actually needed 12 to 16... So i did 16.. 24gb is nice, I like to dick around with VM.. run bots and other shit in the background... edit music, movies, blahblah.