Dragoonfly
Premium Member
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA

rcdailey to slajoh01

Premium Member

to slajoh01

Re: Windows 7 SP1 to start rolling out on Windows Update

I had to get a video driver update from Toshiba in order to put SP1 on that particular laptop. Not every user would have noticed that, but would just have thought that their computer didn't need SP1. The laptop was running Win 7 Pro 64-bit, just like two desktop systems, but did not accept SP1, while the desktop systems did. I had to do a little research to find out why, though it wasn't that difficult.
Finger2208
join:2001-04-07
Lindale, TX

Finger2208

said by rcdailey:

I had to get a video driver update from Toshiba in order to put SP1 on that particular laptop. Not every user would have noticed that, but would just have thought that their computer didn't need SP1. The laptop was running Win 7 Pro 64-bit, just like two desktop systems, but did not accept SP1, while the desktop systems did. I had to do a little research to find out why, though it wasn't that difficult.

I feel your pain there! We currently have a laptop, Acer Aspire 5745G, with switchable graphics. The Intel adapter, currently running 8.15.10.2104, will not allow SP1 to be served up via WU. Honestly I've been too gutless to install the newer Intel driver on the Acer site, as I don't want to trash the nVidia drivers....the only adapter we really use. So I guess it's time to bite the bullet and update. Just hoping I don't trash things in the process!

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by Finger2208:

Just hoping I don't trash things in the process!

I had a switchable graphics box some years ago (not an Acer) and it had the same vendors (nVidia/Intel). The drivers are completely separate so I doubt you'll have any issues. I never did.

BTW you have to switch adapters to update the driver(s).
Finger2208
Lindale, TX

Finger2208

said by StuartMW:

said by Finger2208:

Just hoping I don't trash things in the process!

I had a switchable graphics box some years ago (not an Acer) and it had the same vendors (nVidia/Intel). The drivers are completely separate so I doubt you'll have any issues. I never did.

BTW you have to switch adapters to update the driver(s).

Okay, currently we run the laptop in "performance" mode...aka the nVidia adapter. Also, in Device Manager it also shows the Intel HD adapter as using the nVidia drivers...not the Intel drivers. Only when I switch to "power saver" mode does the Intel HD driver actually load and show up in the tray bar. So will I want to be using the nVidia drivers or the Intel when I install the newer Intel drivers? Sorry, just don't want to trash anything

Honestly, playing with the drivers on this box over the weekend seems like a piece of cake compared to doing the laptop and the "switchable" graphics...confusing!! And thank you very much for the help!!!

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by Finger2208:

Also, in Device Manager it also shows the Intel HD adapter as using the nVidia drivers...not the Intel drivers.

Weird. The Intel adapter didn't even show up in DM when I was in performance mode.

I'd switch to power saving mode, update the Intel driver, and switch back. That's how I did it.
Finger2208
Lindale, TX

Finger2208

said by StuartMW:

said by Finger2208:

Also, in Device Manager it also shows the Intel HD adapter as using the nVidia drivers...not the Intel drivers.

Weird. The Intel adapter didn't even show up in DM when I was in performance mode.

I'd switch to power saving mode, update the Intel driver, and switch back. That's how I did it.

Yeah, thus the confusion! Both Intel HD and Geforce GT330M show in DM, and both are showing to use the nVidia drivers. Only when I switch to power saver does the Intel load in the tray bar, which is how I found out what driver version the Intel adapter was using.

I'll update the driver tomorrow evening, and see if then WU offers me SP1. I'll let you know how it goes, and thanks a mil for the advice!! I've been head scratching this one for a couple of weeks now...
Finger2208

Finger2208 to StuartMW

to StuartMW
said by StuartMW:

said by Finger2208:

Well, gave it a whirl tonight, and it was indeed a train wreck. I was able to get the Intel drivers on no prob, but it did trash the nVidia switchable drivers. Basically after reboot I had no nVidia CP, and the nVidia adapter was disabled in DM. Even after enabling the nVidia adapter it refused to load. I did roll back the driver on the Intel adapter, which fixed that issue.

The only real downer was that, unknown to me, WU started downloading SP1 as soon as the new driver was installed. And as soon as I rolled back, you guessed it....it stopped. So really kind of stuck where I was...

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW

Premium Member

Sounds to me like your system is borked. It may be fixable but that's up to you.

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium Member
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA

1 edit

rcdailey to Finger2208

Premium Member

to Finger2208
Check to see if Acer has the Intel driver update for your system. Getting it from Intel might be okay, too. Nevermind, I see it was too late to avoid the train wreck. Maybe there was no good way to get the right updated driver(s) installed.
Finger2208
Lindale, TX

Finger2208

said by rcdailey:

Check to see if Acer has the Intel driver update for your system. Getting it from Intel might be okay, too. Nevermind, I see it was too late to avoid the train wreck. Maybe there was no good way to get the right updated driver(s) installed.

Actually that's where I got the updated Intel driver, from the Acer site listed for the laptop. It's odd, in DM it shows the Intel adapter using the nVidia drivers even when the laptop is in "power saver" mode. Only looking in the tray bar can you see what Intel driver version the driver is.

I was able to roll back the driver and get the laptop running as before. But that is also the state in which no SP1 via WU So right back where I started.
Finger2208

Finger2208 to StuartMW

to StuartMW
said by StuartMW:

Sounds to me like your system is borked. It may be fixable but that's up to you.

Just a follow up here. I was never able to quite figure out how to properly install the Intel driver without wrecking the nVidia drivers. Eventually bit the dust and went to the SP download site, not WU, and ran the full SP1 file (not saved to HDD). I was able to successfully get SP1 installed on the laptop doing this.

I guess the only downside to this is that I know we will not be able to switch the laptop into "power saver" mode because of the Intel drivers causing instability with apps such as Windows Live Mail, etc. But the up side is that I now have SP1 properly installed, everything runs super great using the "performance mode" nVidia drivers with no crashes, etc. And actually we have received several more updates via WU since installing SP1!

I have been pondering why either the laptop manufacturers, or nVidia for that matter, don't come up with a driver kit that will properly install both the Intel and nVidia drivers without wrecking one or the other. I guess that would be too simple!