Hopefully the trailer can be fixed.
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44 to CylonRed

Premium Member

to CylonRed
I especially like how they talk about the manfield bar. LOL you can see it failed to do its job. Its job is to break away and fold under. Yet you can clearly see it didnt. Its really just a rear bumper mounted by bolts that shear and let it swing in and up. In any case you can see it failed as its in the vet straight down.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

CylonRed

MVM

Well - if you read the article they say why it did not work on the vette and other sports cars that have a low front end before the brakes are hit...
Dodge
Premium Member
join:2002-11-27

Dodge to CylonRed

Premium Member

to CylonRed
How do you "duck" in a corvette? I can see sliding down on the seat, but even that is a little hard if the car is braking hard. I just don't see enough space in there to lean forward to "duck". And how does a truck outbrake a vette? Where was that driver looking to begin with since it looks like he slammed into the truck full force.

Personally I have a better theory - oh shit, I dropped my phone / bagel / electric razor / any other distracting thing. Let me try and retrieve it....wakes up in a hospital, ummmm..... I ducked, yeah, that's it, ducked.

chip89
Premium Member
join:2012-07-05
Columbia Station, OH

chip89 to rody_44

Premium Member

to rody_44
Those things never work a lot of times they just make a crash worse or they don't work at all.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

CylonRed to Dodge

MVM

to Dodge
Lean over to the right as flat as you can.... That would still be considered a duck. I would bet the driver was going wayyyyyy to fast and did not see he was gaining on the truck.

mjhouser
Premium Member
join:2001-10-06

mjhouser to CylonRed

Premium Member

to CylonRed
Glad the driver is ok. To bad for the Z06.

Lurch77
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
Green Bay, WI

Lurch77 to rody_44

Premium Member

to rody_44
ICC bars are not supposed to fold, bend, or break away. They are supposed to stand firm and keep vehicles from going under the rear of the trailer and decapitating people. Most are welded to the frame. As the story says, the Vette's nose was below the bar, so it rode under it and the trailer. Obviously physics will overcome anything we try to do, and that bar can only stop so much force before giving way. Here's an example of one that worked well. Without the bar, the trailer could be in the cruiser's windshield or cabin.