CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

CylonRed to Hayward0

MVM

to Hayward0

Re: scavenging is interesting?...

Ummm - that really does not matter if the VCR is working. It is an explanation of why it can be lucrative to scavenge the players...

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

Hayward0

Premium Member

said by CylonRed:

Ummm - that really does not matter if the VCR is working. It is an explanation of why it can be lucrative to scavenge the players...

Well theoretically a VCR in the garbage would likely be mechanically broken... eating tapes... would not see much salvage potential there. Also likely in the trash can not out on display like a big TV or an old window AC.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

CylonRed

MVM

Bits and pieces can be used - like the head. Besides - eating tapes can generally be fixed by a good cleaning. It does not have top be working to have value - kinda like cars and junkyards...

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

4 edits

Hayward0

Premium Member

Well again VHS usually mechanically not electronically fails... not an easy fix but for replacing physical long gone parts. Yeah cleaning might do it but not in my both VHS and BETA experience... a part need to be replaced...even heads might be working... but aged and musrt be installed right.... time was might be new... but that was over a decade ago.

If I were a picker would choose near anything else.

Like my 40" TV that MIGHT have had a fixable separate PS vs entire MB the usual fix taken to a shop for hundreds on a $300 4 year old TV that started this thread.

Again not being able to take it to the hazardous waste disposal collection hope it is recycled... and not just dumped somewhere inappropriate not even picked up for landfill.

And no VS the large easily recoverable amount of copper in AC's the amounts of silver and gold in a TV is miniscule and very hard to recover as salvage.