spc
Search similar:

uniqs
xv920
join:2002-08-27
San Jose, CA

xv920

intermittent streaming

It has been a few weeks since we switched the Internet service at our home from DSL to UVerse. Speedtests consistently show the promised rate and we're glad to see that, but one thing we noticed is the intermittency. While streaming music or web radio or video from video sites like YouTube, it freezes in 10 minutes or so for about a minute. It doesn't seem like particular sites only, but any type of streaming. Can anybody tell me how we can overcome this intermittency issue? Thanks in advance.

rolande
Certifiable
MVM,
join:2002-05-24
Dallas, TX
ARRIS BGW210-700
Cisco Meraki MR42

rolande

MVM,

This has been a big topic around here for at least a year. It is not a UVerse or really any ISP's problem. The uplinks from some or many of the larger ISP carriers into YouTube's content cloud are saturated on a regular basis. YouTube just doesn't seem to noticeably care too much to do anything about it.

You can read one of the longer threads covering the issue here:

»Youtube sucks for me
xv920
San Jose, CA

xv920

Thanks, yes I have read the thread. But it is not just YouTube, it is pretty much everything. It was my wife who noticed the drop first when she was streaming from one of her favorite web radio sites. When we were on DSL, she had never seen any sort of issue at all on that station. Then I noticed the same thing while visiting a different video site than YouTube. Kids told us YouTube videos momentarily froze too. It looks more like a UVerse issue to me than individual sites.

rolande
Certifiable
MVM,
Dallas, TX
ARRIS BGW210-700
Cisco Meraki MR42

rolande

MVM,

Are you data only or do you have TV service also? Are you using the provided wireless on the Uverse RG or is it a wired connection? The question is how much simultaneous data is being delivered for different services. You can run into local QoS problems on the RG, especially with the wireless.

I use video conferencing over Skype and GoTo Meeting with multi-way live feeds every day and I rarely have any issues. I may see artifacts and even some rare audio distortion but it is usually smooth as silk. I am on the 24/3 package with my wife who is a DVR fiend and is constantly recording 2 or more shows in the background.
xv920
San Jose, CA

xv920

Allow me to revive a very old thread here...

The issue has been root-caused and fixed as described in this thread:

»www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/vi ··· t=149614

Basically, the ddwrt router fails to renew the dhcp lease from the uverse modem because it blocks the port at its own firewall. The solution is to unblock the dhcp renewal communication by opening the dhcp ports at the firewall.

rolande
Certifiable
MVM,
Dallas, TX
ARRIS BGW210-700
Cisco Meraki MR42

rolande

MVM,

Good to know you found a resolution. You never mentioned you were using another router downstream from the RG. DHCP lease problems are not uncommon in that scenario. 10 minutes is the default max lease time for a DMZ device. That would seem to make sense if the router was never renewing the lease. I've seen that same behavior myself.