Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Cobras33
Premium
join:2003-02-05
NJ

Server PSU Question

I'm looking at building a new server for sandbox and other "play" needs. It's been several years since I've done custom builds, so I'm having problems finding the right PSU for the board. The server board has a 24 + 8 pin power connectors, but every PSU I look at has 24+4. I can't seem to confirm whether the PSU can support a 24+8 connections. When I google 24+8 PSU I get other forum sites, sites that explain what 28+8 means, or how to use a 4-to-8 pin converter. I can't seem to find any PSU manufacturers that state they have 24+8 support. The few sites that support the server board are redundant PSUs for 1U/2U cases which is not the form factor or capacity I need. I'm looking for a typical PSU that'll fit in a ATX tower case.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
kudos:1

koitsu
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
kudos:23
reply to Cobras33
What you're looking for, by the way, is what's called a "2x4" connector, as in "two connectors of 4 pins each". This is used to provide 12V power to the CPU -- newer boards tend to require two sets of those connectors, given the higher power draw requirements of CPUs. This is not a server-specific feature, by the way -- most Core iX motherboards today (desktop boards, that is) have 2x4 12V ATX power connectors instead of 1x4.

How PSU vendors advertise this feature, and how they phrase it, varies. You're going to have to look at the User Manual for each PSU, or (better choice) find product reviews with photos.

Here are some ATX form factor PSUs which do what you need, and you can see quite clearly how the way they advertise/phrase the 2x4 capability varies:

* »www.corsair.com/professional-ser···ply.html
* »www.antec.com/Believe_it/product···MTc1OQ== (not apparent from the product description -- I own this PSU which is how I know -- some review sites show pictures proving it, however)

These are in no way unique in any way; like I said, most PSUs today offer what you need, just make sure you read the user manual, find reviews, or contact the manufacturer and ask "Does the XXX model offer two (2) 4-pin 12V ATX CPU power connectors?".
--
Making life hard for others since 1977.
I speak for myself and not my employer/affiliates of my employer.

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA
reply to Cobras33
If the power supply lists EPS12V compliance, it'll have the connector you're looking for (as koitsu See Profile mentioned, it's usually split into two 4-pin connectors for greater compatibility).
--
KI6RIT

Cobras33
Premium
join:2003-02-05
NJ
reply to Cobras33
Thanks for the replies and information.

craig70130
Premium
join:2004-04-27
New Orleans, LA
reply to Cobras33
As said, EPS12V is what you want. Even many low end supplies now have the 8-pin connector which in many cases snaps apart if you just need the 4-pin.