spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Fervid
join:2013-02-20

1 edit

Fervid

Modem Upgrade.

I currently have a DCM 425 Cable modem and the 28/1 cable package from TekSavvy.. I'm looking to upgrade my cable modem and can't decide which to get.

I've been reading reviews for both the Technicolor DCM 476, and the Motorola 6121B

I have a TP-Link WR1043ND Router: »www.tp-link.com/CA/produ ··· WR1043ND with 1000Base-T cables.

I'm just looking for some feedback from anyone that has some experience with these two models in hopes of helping me make a decision.

EDIT: Sorry my mistake, I have a 425, not a 475.

SimplePanda
BSD
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Montreal, QC

SimplePanda

Premium Member

Is there a reason you want to upgrade?

THe 475 is DOCIS 3.0 and supports 8 channels. Not a lot of reason to upgrade if it's working OK.
Scycotic
join:2012-12-10

Scycotic to Fervid

to Fervid
The DCM475 is essentially equal to the 476...and the Motorola might be more reliable, but doesn't support 8/4 channel bonding...so I don't see any point in you upgrading unless your 475 is broken.
Fervid

Fervid

double post (please remove this post)
Fervid

Fervid

My mistake, I have a DCM425, not 475..

Taylortbb
Premium Member
join:2007-02-18
Kitchener, ON

Taylortbb to Fervid

Premium Member

to Fervid
Some people prefers the Motorolas as they're considered to be more reliable, in practice I think the difference is negligible. The big difference is the Technicolor supports 8 channels while the Motorola only supports 4. Some of the higher speeds (like the 150/10) will only be available to 8 channel modems.
Scycotic
join:2012-12-10

Scycotic to Fervid

to Fervid
In that case personally I'd grab the DCM476 from TekSavvy. That way you're futureproofed for the 150/50 tier (SB6121 can't take it) and you get the one year warranty from TSI.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium Member
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON

TwiztedZero to Taylortbb

Premium Member

to Taylortbb
said by Taylortbb:

Some people prefers the Motorolas as they're considered to be more reliable, in practice I think the difference is negligible. The big difference is the Technicolor supports 8 channels while the Motorola only supports 4. Some of the higher speeds (like the 150/10) will only be available to 8 channel modems.

And this is why we're pushing to get the SB6141 approved as it supports 8x4 channel bonding.
Fervid

Fervid

I ordered the cable modem from Teksavvy the other day. It will arrive in 3-5 business days. Thanks for all the feedback.
stormy13
join:2003-10-28
Pickering, ON

stormy13

Could have saved a few bucks,

»www.hookbag.ca/product/H ··· hnicolor

Got my DCM476 from them a couple of weeks ago.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by stormy13:

Yeah, but you are essentially guessing which firmware it comes with... And if its not the right one, you've either got a boat anchor that the ISP can't activate, or you've got to hack it apart voiding the warranty and having to get the firmware flashed with the help of some forum members.
stormy13
Pickering, ON

stormy13 to Fervid

to Fervid
If it helps any mine came with the right firmware on it.
mlord
join:2006-11-05
Kanata, ON

mlord to HiVolt

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

said by stormy13:

Yeah, but you are essentially guessing which firmware it comes with... And if its not the right one, you've either got a boat anchor that the ISP can't activate, or you've got to hack it apart voiding the warranty and having to get the firmware flashed with the help of some forum members.

Yes, and in this case they clearly say "Videotron TPIA approved", which means it has the wrong firmware for Teksavvy/Rogers. They might have a different SKU for a "Rogers firmware" version, but who knows..

d4m1r
join:2011-08-25

d4m1r to Fervid

to Fervid
SB6120 and thank me later!
Fervid

Fervid

Thanks for the additional feedback. I think that had I known about hookbag.ca prior to me purchasing it from TekSavvy.. I probably would have still made the same choice..

I have never heard of hookbag before and at least I know that if I ever have any issues with the one I bought from TSI, I would feel a bit more comfortable in knowing TSI would take care of me as they have in the past with my internet services.

I do however appreciate that you were trying to help out a stranger by saving them a few bucks. =D
stormy13
Pickering, ON
Asus RT-AC66U B1

stormy13

Sorry, I linked to the wrong one. This is the one they list as approved for Rogers,

Currently out of stock, and a couple of $$ less than I paid for it.

SimplePanda
BSD
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Montreal, QC

SimplePanda to Taylortbb

Premium Member

to Taylortbb
said by Taylortbb:

The guy on here that flashes cable modems (and repairs them) has suggested that, based on his teardown, the DCM modems are actually better built and will probably last longer as a result.

A lot of people ascribe reliability to the Motorola modems based on their experiences with the 5100 series, which were very good.

Not that the 61xx's are junk, just that they haven't put in the hours that the 51xx's have yet and anecdotally aren't built any better than alternate modems.

Indeed, there have been some 6120/6121 overheating/failure issues to suggest that they're not as good.

All that aside, to the OP: buying a 612x modem right now isn't a great idea. They're already "outdated", per se as 4 channel devices. If you want a Motorola, buy a 614x or higher to get 8 channels. Since those aren't certified right now, you should probably just by a DCM476.
koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW
join:2005-01-08
Etobicoke, ON

koreyb to Fervid

to Fervid
I actually just flipped to the HUAWEI MT130U cable modem, and have noticed it works VERY WELL, infact stands up to the Motorola very well. Only reason I flipped was My 6120 only does 4X4 instead of 8x4 which makes it a little more future proof, and should avoid any congestion issues in the future. (related to node congestion)

For a cheaper D3, it's a reasonable choice.