how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

TreeTops

join:2008-11-23

2 edits

MI424WR-GEN3 REV I Relocation Questions

I want to move my Router/Modem to an adjacent room. Presently the ONT is on the outside back wall - a hole is drilled through the wall and a 6 foot (approx.) COAX cable connects the ONT and the router in the basement. The room it is in now is always damp. What is the best way to connect the PON to the router if it is upstairs? Would I just need to run a new 30 foot COAX from the ONT to the router?
(Also part of the plan is to plug in my PC and HDhomerun directly to the modem once it is moved). Right now I have no wired connections in the home. Thanks for any advise, J

antioch

join:2007-10-06
Pomona, CA
kudos:1

Yes, you'll need to run a new coax to the location you want your router. And I assume you mean your ONT.
--
Fiber Network Technician
Pomona, CA

TreeTops

Yes I did mean ONT, I fixed my post so I do not appear to be totally clueless . I finally found someone to do the wiring and just wanted to be sure. I really appreciate your response!
He will be using RG6, quad shielded is this the correct type of COAX?

bbeesley
VIP
join:2003-08-07
Richardson, TX
kudos:5

said by TreeTops:

as long as the run is less than a few hundred feet, it should be fine. Ask him to use PPC Aquatight fittings since you say the area is always damp. »www.ppc-online.com/satellite/drop.php

if the drop is longer than a few hundred feet, ask him to use RG11

antioch

join:2007-10-06
Pomona, CA
kudos:1
reply to TreeTops

said by TreeTops:

Yes I did mean ONT, I fixed my post so I do not appear to be totally clueless . I finally found someone to do the wiring and just wanted to be sure. I really appreciate your response!

For 30 ft you'll be fine. As the dude above says, if your in a humid or damp area, use fittings that will protect from the weather if your connectors are outside.
--
Fiber Network Technician
Pomona, CA

TreeTops

Thanks a lot to all who replied. HE did use the proper fittings BUT (their is always a but ) part of the cable rests against an aluminum heater duct (a few inches of cable). Everything works as before AFA connectivity. Should I try to reloacate the cable?