how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Kn1gh7

join:2011-07-22
Sharpsburg, GA

8 downstream channels?

If I remember correctly, I thought Charter only used 4 DS channels. Just noticed today that I have 8 now. I am by no means a network expert, but I assume this is a good thing?

compuguybna

join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter

Only 4 still here..... What is the firmware on your modem???? Must be a CISCO because the screen looks like mine...

Cisco DPC3008
Vendor: Cisco
Hardware Revision: 1.0

MAC Address: 7c:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Bootloader Revision: 2.3.1_R3
Current Software Revision: d3000-v302r125551-111216a
Firmware Name: d3000-v302r125551-111216a.bin
Firmware Build Time: Dec 16 17:22:41 2011
Cable Modem Status: Operational

Power Level: Signal to Noise Ratio:
Channel 1: 4.2 dBmV 41.8 dB
Channel 2: 4.3 dBmV 41.9 dB
Channel 3: 4.3 dBmV 41.7 dB
Channel 4: 4.3 dBmV 41.8 dB

Kn1gh7

Sharpsburg, GA

Firmware: d3000-v302r125551-111216a

And yeah, we have the same exact modem. DPC3008.

KoRnGtL15
Premium
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR
kudos:1
reply to Kn1gh7

Sounds like something big is coming. They only use 4.

whoaru99

join:2003-12-17

The existing speeds might require only 4 channels, but it sure looks like 8 are active there.

Alas, I think my DOCSIS 3 modem only has 4 DS channel capability. Not that having 8 would materially improve the 30Mbps...but everyone wants the best toys, right?

KoRnGtL15
Premium
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR

I am thinking the 8 down stream channels are more or less for the Ultra tier? Which is why I am thinking a speed increase is coming soon for that tier. If so. I will need a new modem. My current Ubee U10C035 only does 4 down.

compuguybna

join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter
reply to Kn1gh7

Must be a rollout in your area.....Because the firmware you listed is the same I have in mine......the Cisco DPC3008 is a good modem from what i've seen, never had any issues with it.

I have NEVER been able to find out the password to see other settings however......Every combination someone suggests doesn't work.

Chubbysumo

join:2009-12-01
Superior, WI
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to KoRnGtL15

said by KoRnGtL15:

I am thinking the 8 down stream channels are more or less for the Ultra tier? Which is why I am thinking a speed increase is coming soon for that tier. If so. I will need a new modem. My current Ubee U10C035 only does 4 down.

Don't need 8 for the ultra100 tier. happily getting my 100mbps on 4 channels.

whoaru99

join:2003-12-17

Yeah. 4 DS should be good to ~150Mbps. That said, with more channels the speed should be more consistent as seemed to be the case for many when going from 1 DS to 4 DS even when the speed at the time didn't require 4 DS channels.

Kn1gh7

Sharpsburg, GA
reply to Kn1gh7

Could this have something to do with the 300 mbps tier we heard about awhile ago? We have some competition where I live (U-Verse, Comcast, Charter and I guess Clearwire too) so I would think our market would be a prime candidate for something like this.

Double OH 7

join:2009-10-19

said by Kn1gh7:

Could this have something to do with the 300 mbps tier we heard about awhile ago? We have some competition where I live (U-Verse, Comcast, Charter and I guess Clearwire too) so I would think our market would be a prime candidate for something like this.

That is the same thing I was thinking... Though I really wish they would give just a wee bit more attention to the upload side of things...

A 300 Mbps tier should be cap free... Need it for that 4K netflix!

duffman45200

join:2010-09-20
reply to Kn1gh7

Now for Charter to implement upstream bonding and deploy it to my area

Tanker

join:2012-09-18
Montgomery, AL
reply to Kn1gh7

said by Kn1gh7:

If I remember correctly, I thought Charter only used 4 DS channels. Just noticed today that I have 8 now. I am by no means a network expert, but I assume this is a good thing?

[att=1]

Stoopid noob question, but how do I check the DS channels at home?

cablegeek01

join:2003-05-13
USA
reply to Kn1gh7

Woohoo! 8 Channels is a big plus for anyone on that node. even if you only have a 4 channel modem (or a 1 channel DOCSIS 2.0 for that matter), that's a 100% increase in shared bandwidth. Hopefully it'll mean consistant speeds for you and your neighbors.

/probably paving the way for 150+Mb packages as well

cablegeek01

USA
reply to Tanker

open up a browser and type in »192.168.100.1 and hit enter. Most modems have a signal or DOCSIS page that will tell you how many channels you modem is connected to (and some will tell you how many channels the modem supports). What kind of modem do you have?

Tanker

join:2012-09-18
Montgomery, AL

said by cablegeek01:

open up a browser and type in »192.168.100.1 and hit enter. Most modems have a signal or DOCSIS page that will tell you how many channels you modem is connected to (and some will tell you how many channels the modem supports). What kind of modem do you have?

SB6120. I'll check when I get home this evening.

Thanks for the prompt response!

msmisfit

join:2004-09-13
Lawrenceville, GA
kudos:2
reply to cablegeek01

said by cablegeek01:

Woohoo! 8 Channels is a big plus for anyone on that node. even if you only have a 4 channel modem.

Is this something that is all done in house? Charter has been laying new cable in my subdivision this past week or so. Digging up my yard where the box is, and my across the street neighbor's yard where they are laying the cable. He says he isn't having any problems and we're wondering what they're doing.

cablegeek01

USA
reply to Tanker

The SB6120/6121 are 4 channel modems, so you won't likely see any change as far as how many channels are bonded. what you may see is different downstream frequencies in use, and/or (hopefully) more consistant downstream speeds when everyone inthe neighborhood gets home in the evening and uses their internet connection.

cablegeek01

USA
reply to msmisfit

said by msmisfit:

said by cablegeek01:

Woohoo! 8 Channels is a big plus for anyone on that node. even if you only have a 4 channel modem.

Is this something that is all done in house? Charter has been laying new cable in my subdivision this past week or so. Digging up my yard where the box is, and my across the street neighbor's yard where they are laying the cable. He says he isn't having any problems and we're wondering what they're doing.

No, this is done at what's known as the headend (where all the cable connections come into the cable company). They'll do what is known as recombining and channel additions.
What they're doing in your neighborhood is probably either a node split (where they add capacity to the neighborhood), or they're replacing a trunk or feeder cable that is damaged. A lot of cable companies have advanced diagnostics that can locate some cable faults before they degrade further and impact customers.

Kn1gh7

Sharpsburg, GA
reply to Kn1gh7

Well in terms of speed, nothing has really changed from when I had 4 DS channels. Just hoping this is just some prereq for maybe a speed bump in the future? I don't see how that would be impossible with Comcast getting some serious speed bumps and heck, maybe it'd justify the price increases lately. A 50/10 connection would be amazing.

msmisfit

join:2004-09-13
Lawrenceville, GA
kudos:2
reply to cablegeek01

said by cablegeek01:

No, this is done at what's known as the headend (where all the cable connections come into the cable company). They'll do what is known as recombining and channel additions.

I phrased my question badly, that's what I meant to ask... and thought would be the case. This interested me, because Buford GA is pretty close to our neighborhood.

Thanks for the info on what they might be doing even though we users aren't experiencing any regular problems out here.