Search similar:

uniqs
bill_ bass
join:2013-03-17
Sault Ste Marie, ON

bill_ bass

Internet Insurance Quoter is way off

Hello Again!

I am in the market for car insurance, so I came across Kanetix and Insurance Hotline. Kanetix quoted me at $79, while Insurance Hotlin.com gave me a quote close to $150. Has anybody had this issue? Is InsuranceHotline.com a scam? It says its owned by the Toronto Star, but outputs numbers on the high side, in my opinion.

Give it a try for yourself, and if you can, provide feedback on your results. Would be greatly Appreciated!

JC_
Premium Member
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON

JC_

Premium Member

When I was looking for insurance I used Kanetix but I ended up just calling around to different companies for rates.

I ended up going with »www.belairdirect.com/ind ··· onen.htm as they gave me one of the cheapest rates and I had a few discounts for them; one was from work and the other was for a multi-car discount.

Shrug
@videotron.ca

Shrug to bill_ bass

Anon

to bill_ bass
A better place for this topic might be over in »Canadian Chat

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to JC_

Premium Member

to JC_
That's funny because after Belair raised my rates significantly a few years back they continue to be one of the highest every time I run a quote. I think they still want close to $200/month for me.

The wife and I just switched everything back to TD Meloche Monnex. First time my insurance has been under $100/month since the mid-2000s. We do have multi-line and alumni discounts, though.

JC_
Premium Member
Nepean, ON

JC_

Premium Member

said by Gone:

That's funny because after Belair raised my rates significantly a few years back they continue to be one of the highest every time I run a quote. I think they still want close to $200/month for me.

The wife and I just switched everything back to TD Meloche Monnex. First time my insurance has been under $100/month since the mid-2000s. We do have multi-line and alumni discounts, though.

My mum is having the same issue with Belair with her rates constantly going up. I may switch providers in the future but while I'm getting the discounts I have my rates are great for someone my age.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Yeah, I was getting better rates with Belair in my early 20s than I am at 30, and even though I've had no accidents my record is still technically better now because I have a longer record of continual insurance with no accidents or claims. I have no idea how Belair justifies their pricing. At the time time, my jaw dropped when I saw how cheap TD was for the premium coverage I have.

JC_
Premium Member
Nepean, ON

JC_

Premium Member

Hmmm, looks like I'll need to look into TD when I get older.
MichelR
join:2011-07-03
Trois-Rivieres, QC

MichelR to JC_

to JC_
said by JC_:

When I was looking for insurance I used Kanetix but I ended up just calling around to different companies for rates.

I ended up going with »www.belairdirect.com/ind ··· onen.htm as they gave me one of the cheapest rates and I had a few discounts for them; one was from work and the other was for a multi-car discount.

When I moved back from Quebec in 2006 I got a lot of quote and BelairDirect were by far the cheapest. I had my car insured for about 6 and a half years with them (I sold my car in January and haven't bought a new one - I was barely using it). My premiums never changed much. One time they even phoned me and said "your car is pretty old... are you sure you still want collision coverage?" Basically they were saying I'd get almost nothing (at the time the car was 12 years old, I believe). So that dropped my premiums by some $150 a year. Most insurers would just have taken the money and paid out a few bucks in case of a collision, rather than do any repairs. I'm still with them for my condo insurance. Only ever had one claim (windshield) and that went very well.

I was expecting a good rate from The Personal, since I had been with them since 1996 (first in Ontario, then in Quebec). The quote they gave me was something like $300 more than what it was when my car was brand new (also note that I had no claims and a perfect driving record). I was a bit surprised by that. Anyway, BelairDirect were like $400 cheaper. The others I contacted were all in the ball park of what The Personal offered.
yabos
join:2003-02-16
London, ON

yabos to Gone

to Gone
TD Meloche Monnex is the cheapest I've come across. I was with Cooperators under my parent's policy and they wanted 2x the price for my own policy and living in a different city. TD Meloche Monnex was cheaper than what it was under my parent's policy. Second cheapest for me was Belair.

Hydraglass
Premium Member
join:2002-05-08

Hydraglass to bill_ bass

Premium Member

to bill_ bass
CAA insurance was by far the cheapest for me - BelAir wanted $120/mo, TD wanted $114, RBC Insurance wanted $110, CAA is $88. After 3 years now they haven't raised my rates at all. I do get another $75/year off for being a CAA member - so I basically get my CAA membership $ back on the insurance discount (all of $6/mo).

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

In my case, Belair wanted $214/month. TD wanted $92.

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member
join:2010-07-16
Sainte-Anne-De-Bellevue, QC

ekster to bill_ bass

Premium Member

to bill_ bass
I had Belair for condo insurance.

First year was great, the second year was even better... the third year, I got a letter saying 'Congratulations, because you have zero claims 2 years in a row, you qualify for an extra discount'

And then I see my price go up $200?

And when I was looking for a quote for the car, with the discount for having condo and car, they wanted $1,400 for the car and $600 for the condo.

After a bit of looking around, I found one that offered me $800 for the car and $190 for condo, and that's with better coverage.

I really don't understand how Belair can be the cheapest for some and have these crazy prices for others.

JC_
Premium Member
Nepean, ON

JC_ to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
said by Gone:

That's a huge price difference.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Tell me about it. As I said, I have no idea how Belair can justify it.

JC_
Premium Member
Nepean, ON

JC_

Premium Member

I'm getting 26% off of my insurance right now through Belair and I'm thankful otherwise my rates would be outrageous.

corster
Premium Member
join:2002-02-23
Oshawa, ON

corster to bill_ bass

Premium Member

to bill_ bass
I moved across the river to Quebec and am paying $800 a year. I know some of my friends in Toronto pay nearly that per month!

I'll move back to Ontario when I turn 25
peterboro (banned)
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned) to bill_ bass

to bill_ bass
So I shopped a price last week on one of my cars. I pay $505.00 a year now and called Grey Power even though I'm not old enough.

The price was double at Grey Power and over $1050.00 Wtf!! Ripoff, I guess all their customers are senile.

I think I'll try CAA but I don't want to give up my $0 deductible on comp.

Styvas
Who are we? Forge FC!
Premium Member
join:2004-09-15
Hamilton, ON

Styvas to bill_ bass

Premium Member

to bill_ bass
TDMM was my second lowest quote, but Belair was so much lower that it was a no brainer. I also had little luck/accuracy with the online quote comparison sites.

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4 to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
said by Gone:

I'm at $91 with Belair. Found them to be the least expensive, and good to work with, though I haven't shopped for a long time.

andyb
Premium Member
join:2003-05-29
SW Ontario

andyb to bill_ bass

Premium Member

to bill_ bass
I'm trying to find insurance for my son who is 20 and goes for his G2 in a couple of weeks.Bloody rip off so far.Cheapest has been TDMM at 500 a month

Shrug
@videotron.ca

Shrug to corster

Anon

to corster
said by corster:

I moved across the river to Quebec and am paying $800 a year. I know some of my friends in Toronto pay nearly that per month!

I'll move back to Ontario when I turn 25

Yeah Ontario rates are just insane. Makes no sense. Even MP's out there are screaming for change. *shrug*

But, on topic with Belair... Even here in Quebec Belair is the most expensive. I haven't bothered with them in even for a quote. I wrote them off long ago as gouging people.

@J E F F, at 91$/month, I hope that is a brand new car worth over 35K and with a couple of accidents under your belt. Otherwise, you might try shopping around (but since you're in Ontario, that could very well be the price for a 1976 Chevette)