how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

bill_ bass

join:2013-03-17
Sault Ste Marie, ON

Just FYI

I appreciate the feedback for this forum within regards to internet providers. Very useful. I actually decided to go with either Telgo
or Start.ca.

The price is right for both, as the modem is included and the only fees I pay upfront is the first month. Plus, with Telgo I can combine my homophone, whereas Start.ca I can't. BUT, start.ca has a lower price on internet. Any suggestions?

cybersaga

join:2011-12-19
Welland, ON
There are lots of VoIP companies out there that can provide phone service for a lot less than the $13.95 extra that Telgo charges for phone (looking at their bundled price with the 6mbps internet).

If you're looking at price, you're better off going with Start and using VoIP for your phone.

bill_ bass

join:2013-03-17
Sault Ste Marie, ON
reply to bill_ bass
Comwave, another one I kind of have in my mind offers $10 voip, but only local and no features; whereas Telgo has the features and unlimited North America. a comparable plan from Comwave is $20/mo.. Long Distance is a must for me, as I call Toronto all the time. Im half thinking of going with Start for the internet and telgo for the phone.

Any reccomndations on Comwave, Telgo or Start? I havent heard alot from either of these threee, but these 3 are alot cheaper than ROgers, Bell and Shaw!

cybersaga

join:2011-12-19
Welland, ON
I can only speak to Start, as I have my internet with them. They've been great. Fantastic customer service; any trouble I've had was fixed quickly and in my favour. You'll see Rocca from Start around the forums here. And the price is right.

For phone I just switched to Anveo. Based on my usage, I'll be spending around $4/month with them ($2/month gives you unlimited incoming calls, and all outgoing are charged at half a cent per minute for all of Canada). Anveo does require a bit of technical knowledge to setup, but there are several other VoIP companies around that price point. You could ask more over in the VoIP forum.

JCohen
Premium
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to bill_ bass
I've been with Start since July 2012 for cable internet, their service has been great and I haven't had any issues with it since I signed up. I've had a few questions since I started with Start and was able to call in and get them answered extremely quickly.

If you go to »Start Communications Rocca is always on the forums and he is very helpful.

Shrug

@videotron.ca
reply to bill_ bass
said by bill_ bass:

Comwave, another one I kind of have in my mind offers $10 voip, but only local and no features; whereas Telgo has the features and unlimited North America. a comparable plan from Comwave is $20/mo.. Long Distance is a must for me, as I call Toronto all the time. Im half thinking of going with Start for the internet and telgo for the phone.

Any reccomndations on Comwave, Telgo or Start? I havent heard alot from either of these threee, but these 3 are alot cheaper than ROgers, Bell and Shaw!

Start has their own forum here: »Start Communications

Comwave appears to have a very high number of customer complaints. One of the highest per the annual CCTS report. I've never heard anything good about them myself. I think I would continue shopping before settling on them.

Telgo, no clue.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to bill_ bass
I've been using Acanac for VoIP. Pay for a year up front and it works out to $10/month for unlimited North American calling. Support is non-existent but I haven't had any issues in the last two years.

I've thought of porting the number over to voip.ms as we use them at the shop and have been very pleased (we run four lines there and with all the minutes from the phones ringing off the hook all day is till only works out to less than $20/month) but I just can't bring myself to do it because I can never remember when the year renews, haha.

Shrug

@videotron.ca
said by Gone:

I've been using Acanac for VoIP. Pay for a year up front and it works out to $10/month for unlimited North American calling. Support is non-existent but I haven't had any issues in the last two years.

You raise a point. Lots of people b*tch about Acanac, but it's very rare we see a complaint about their voip. Unless you run a business and buy their residential package and call 10,000 diff numbers. I saw one guy actually complain about this when they told him to buy a business package. Go figure.

So yeah Acanac voip seems to have very low complaints. Might be worth it.

MichelR

join:2011-07-03
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·voip.ms
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to bill_ bass
Comwave has a LOT of complaints. If you want to go VoIP, check the reviews here, and check out the VoIP Tech Chat forum where you'll find tons of valuable information. That's what I did last year (I ended up going with voip.ms - ported my home phone # from Rogers). There's a huge thread of Comwave complaints at DigitalHome.ca (in the VoIP forum).

I'm with Start and the customer service is great (you can see rocca (the head honcho) and the occasional staff members posting here and in the Start Communications forum. So I highly recommend them. I don't know anything about Telgo.
--
Start Communications Forum

Gza14

join:2002-12-31
Scarborough, ON
reply to bill_ bass
Freephoneline.ca - along with their Fongo mobile app - has been an absolute boon for me, especially when travelling.

Unless you need to use an ATA and/ or are porting a number over, going this route is essentially free. Features include voice mail, call forwarding (up to three simultaneous numbers, IIRC), and free calling to any of the major cities.

OverrRyde

join:2007-04-10
Waterdown, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to bill_ bass
said by bill_ bass:

Plus, with Telgo I can combine my homophone

HEY! there's no need for that here man!

JK!

morisato

join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON
I went with voip.ms for My landline in 3 months i have paid just over 6 dollars for my phone p:0 win i say WIN!
--
Every time Someone leaves Sympatico an Angel gets its wings.