how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Dick W

join:2001-12-08
Denver, CO

Transparent Bridging due dilligence

I've got a new C1000Z on the 40/20 VDSL service. Unfortunately I lost 5GHz WiFi and a number of other router features.

So I'm thinking of using my router and putting the C1000Z in transparent bridge mode.

Some things about this are not obvious to me: the PPPOE traffic is just 802.3 LLC? I.e., no need to worry about what the IP addresses are between the router WAN port and the modem? But can I set them up in such a way, perhaps with a static route, that I can still browse to the modem's GUI? What other features on the modem get disabled/or do I need to disable them? Its WiFi? Its DHCP? Its DDNS? Etc...

Any thoughts/advice greatly appreciated before I dive in that brier patch.

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
Premium,MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV
kudos:3

When in Transparent Bridge mode, the modem maintains its LAN IP, but it is not usually accessible through the router. A direct connection to the modem with a static IP set on the LAN port is required to reach the web interface.

What I did was add a second ethernet port to the PC using an ethernet to usb adapter. The second port is configured with a static IP in the same range as the modems LAN IP. When I need to access the modem, I just enable the USB adapter and connect through the web browser.

Make sure that the modems LAN IP is not in the same subnet as the LAN IP assigned to the router. Disable the wireless on the modem. You don't really need to worry about any of the other settings when you telll it to use Transparent Bridge mode.

Dick W

join:2001-12-08
Denver, CO

That confirms my understanding. I'm thinking the best bet is just to reset defaults, turn off WiFi, set it to Transparent Bridging, get the new router working and forget the C1000Z is even there.

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
Premium,MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV
kudos:3

That is what I prefer to do. It's also easier to manage, especially if you need to configure port-forwarding or remote access.