how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jice65

join:2003-10-08
San Francisco, CA

[Modem] What is the modem used for Uverse ATT ADSL2+

It seems that I need to change from DSL to Uverse DSL; I understand this to be ADSL2+.

I thought I might pick up the modem on Craigslist instead of paying $100.

Thanks,
john

NetFixer
From my cold dead hands
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
·Comcast

1 edit

said by jice65:

It seems that I need to change from DSL to Uverse DSL; I understand this to be ADSL2+.

I thought I might pick up the modem on Craigslist instead of paying $100.

Thanks,
john

The "modem" that was recently provided by AT&T for my backup U-verse ADSL2+ circuit was the Motorola NVG510. AT&T has used several other "modems" for this service, but that (at least in this area) seems to be the one currently being supplied (that is the model that I have seen in all the recent installs for friends and clients that I know about.

Just any ADSL2+ modem will not work; it must be an IP-DSL modem with a certificate that AT&T recognizes, and not an ATM modem. Another potential gotcha is if the device you get from Craigslist, eBay, etc has outdated firmware with an outdated certificate, you may have purchased a high tech plastic paperweight (even if it is an acceptable brand/model).

You may find it helpful to peruse this thread: »IP-DSLAM FAQ where other modem models and the technology in general is discussed.

--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

jice65

San Francisco, CA

What is the option for modem only if I would like to use my own router? I didn't see the option online.

NetFixer
From my cold dead hands
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
·Comcast

said by jice65:

What is the option for modem only if I would like to use my own router? I didn't see the option online.

I am not aware of any bridge modem that is available for the AT&T U-verse IP-DSL service. However, you can disable the WiFi radio in the NVG510, and setup its firewall to use IP Passthrough to another router behind it.

If IP Passthrough is compatible with the secondary router that you use, the effect is that the NVG510 emulates a simple bridge modem for that connection. Unfortunately, the NVG510's IP Passthrough mode does not seem to be compatible with all routers. It was not compatible with the Linksys WRT160 router behind the NVG510 from which the above screen shots came, and I can't provide you with a list of compatible routers. You may want to start a thread in the »AT&T U-verse forum where there are more people who are familiar with the NVG510, and perhaps someone there can recommend a compatible router.
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

jice65

San Francisco, CA

Thanks again. I guess I need to wait and see exactly which modem/router I receive from ATT (the person I reached on the phone mentioned a different one (a 2Wire 2700HGV).

At minium I will want to turn off the wifi and use a collection of airport express units as an extended WAP. I assume that the route/firewall in whatever unit I receive might be OK to use. I will have a few wired devices (desktop computer, Video-on-demand device, etc.) and use my portable devices wirelessly. This is what I currently do with old-fashioned ATT DSL and a 2Wire 2710HG-B (wifi was awful on that unit), but otherwise OK. Any reason to expect trouble?

I read some complaints that one or more of the ATT supplied ADSL2+ modem/routers required some kind of software installed on the ethernet connected devices (that can't be right, can it?).

NetFixer
From my cold dead hands
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
·Comcast

1 recommendation

said by jice65:

Thanks again. I guess I need to wait and see exactly which modem/router I receive from ATT (the person I reached on the phone mentioned a different one (a 2Wire 2700HGV).

At minium I will want to turn off the wifi and use a collection of airport express units as an extended WAP. I assume that the route/firewall in whatever unit I receive might be OK to use. I will have a few wired devices (desktop computer, Video-on-demand device, etc.) and use my portable devices wirelessly. This is what I currently do with old-fashioned ATT DSL and a 2Wire 2710HG-B (wifi was awful on that unit), but otherwise OK. Any reason to expect trouble?

I am pretty sure that the IP-DSL 2wire is identical to the ATM version in its available configuration options, and that would include being able to disable the WiFi radio, and use IP Passthrough (I think that 2wire calls it "DMZ Plus"). If you are going to be using external WAPs instead of an external WiFi router, then you should be able to use the built-in firewalls in either the NVG510 or the 2wire with no problems (both are reasonably good SPI firewalls).

said by jice65:

I read some complaints that one or more of the ATT supplied ADSL2+ modem/routers required some kind of software installed on the ethernet connected devices (that can't be right, can it?).

I am not familiar with that claim. However, AT&T does provide IPv6 support in the form of a 6rd relay for their U-verse connections. Perhaps you were seeing a reference to some users having IPv6 implementation problems on their PC devices. There is nothing non-standard about the Ethernet or TCPIP implementation on the new IP-DSL routers that I know of (or can even imagine).
--

THP

join:2013-03-19
Forney, TX
reply to jice65

I have an airport extreme connected to the NVG510 with IP Passthrough set-up. The AE controls my network and I use airport expresses to extend it. I can look up my settings this evening and post if this is what you are talking about.

jice65

San Francisco, CA

Thanks for both responses.

All details are appreciated. I'll be receiving a modem/router from ATT and setting up next week. I'll follow-up afterwards.

jice65

San Francisco, CA

ATT customer service person is telling me that the modem will be a 2Wire device of some sort. But, they were unable to tell me a model number.