Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

JustAmazing

@embarqhsd.net
reply to toby

Re: [CenturyTel] Being terminated for excessive usage

said by toby:

It is similar to getting a speeding ticket from a police officer, when you car doesn't have a speedometer. You have a general idea, but not an exact amount.

Jjust like the police officer (Centurylink) couldn't care less if your car (computer) doesn't have a speedometer (bandidth meter). It's your car (computer), so it's your responsibility to obey the speedlimit (usage CAPS).

Hazy Arc

join:2006-04-10
Greenwood, SC

Terrible analogy.

Here's a better one - If you have a question as to your electricity usage, you have an easy way to check your current usage by reading the meter on your house.

firedrakes

join:2009-01-29
Arcadia, FL

have you posted this on their face book page?? always good to do thAt

JustAmazing

@embarqhsd.net
reply to JustAmazing

While I completely agree that centurylink should have some type of way to check your usage I feel that the ultimate responsibility rests on the end user not having some way to determine your usage.

Like Toby's analogy, it's not the cops job to monitor your speed, you should have a speedometer and if you don't it's still not the cops problem.

The same goes here. Yes, CTL should have some way for you to check but until they get off their collective fat a**es and do something you shouldn't sit back and twiddle your thumbs and say it's Centurylinks problem. It takes two to tango. Also how are you going to check/challenge them to make sure they're right

TheMayor

join:2002-05-09

While I know people can get a router that was DD-WRT on it & use that as a guideline, it would be nice to have something to compare it to

GetMoney

join:2010-06-11
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to firedrakes

said by firedrakes:

have you posted this on their face book page?? always good to do thAt

LOL.... have you seen their page these days?? They barely can even give you some wishy washy apology. They used to have a great presence up here and then once the Qwest merger happened things went to shit. Why? I have no idea!!!

PX Eliezer
Morrow Project fan
Premium
join:2013-03-10
Outland
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Optimum Voice
·callwithus
·Callcentric
reply to Ravynmagi7

said by Ravynmagi7:

I'll start by saying I'm 100% guilty of exceeding the usage policy. I've exceeded it quite a bit every month I've been with Centurylink. I'm a heavy user and I was aware this may be a problem, so I did opt for the fastest speed Internet I could to get the largest data cap available for residential service.

Curious:

1) Will they let you set up a business-type account?

2) Related: Surely if you want more data, they should be happy to supply it to you as long as you are willing to pay for it! They are foolish businessmen otherwise.

3) Do you have any alternative for ISP? Otherwise they are cutting you off from the world!

4) After the first warning, maybe have installed Networx?
»www.softperfect.com/products/networx/

5) Even in New Jersey we have heard what a poor company is CenturyLink/CenturyTel/Qwest/Embarq!

firedrakes

join:2009-01-29
Arcadia, FL

i seeing it certain areas they dont give a dam and other parts they do.

pwtenny

join:2010-10-11
Danbury, NC
reply to Ravynmagi7

quote:
I'll start by saying I'm 100% guilty of exceeding the usage policy. I've exceeded it quite a bit every month I've been with Centurylink. I'm a heavy user and I was aware this may be a problem, so I did opt for the fastest speed Internet I could to get the largest data cap available for residential service.
Well there you go. The business account/line doesn't have a usage cap. You should have gone with that. They probably won't let you now, but you can always ask them if you can switch.

LFHC

join:2012-11-04
Collinsville, VA
reply to Ravynmagi7

Click for full size
Cable is the way to go for heavy users I have comcast and this is what I have used in the past month

Boulder

@clearwire-wmx.net
reply to dondude

My DSL was terminated by CenturyLink (formerly Qwest) last night. This was after two pop-up warnings a few months ago. A letter arrived in the mail ten days ago stating service would end on March 27th.

Interestingly, my online account showed that I was still being charged for the service. It is impossible to cancel DSL online (I love how companies let you sign up online but force you to call to cancel) so I called customer service to cancel. It took the representative about 15 minutes to figure out how do cancel the service.

I'm having Comcast broadband put in on Friday and will then switch my CenturyLink POTS line over to Ooma. I had been paying around $115/month to CenturyLink for POTS plus DSL. I've been a customer of them (well, AT&T, Mountain Bell, US West, Qwest, and so on) for over 35 years. When I've talked to them on the phone they haven't seen the least-bit concerned about losing me as a customer. I would have thought they'd be interested in keeping traditional land-line customers. Not so!

P.S. I'm using Google's FreedomPop to post this.

Technicholas

join:2010-11-11
Winterset, IA

Its horrible that they are kicking people off their network what about those places where Centurylink is the ONLY provider to get internet services? Like in my situation.

TheMayor

According to the EUP, they allow you to upgrade to a business plan. However, the one thing I've been noticing in all these "excessive use threads" is the lack of info in regards of how much bandwidth someone used when they started to get notified. Either they didn't ask when they had to call or "forgot" what they were told. I would think this might be important, as there is a difference between recieving a letter if you used (lets say) 260 GB & used 500 GB

said by Technicholas:

Its horrible that they are kicking people off their network what about those places where Centurylink is the ONLY provider to get internet services? Like in my situation.

PX Eliezer
Morrow Project fan
Premium
join:2013-03-10
Outland
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Optimum Voice
·callwithus
·Callcentric
reply to Boulder

said by Boulder :

P.S. I'm using Google's FreedomPop to post this.

I thought that FreedomPop had nothing to do with Google?
»www.crunchbase.com/company/freedompop

Boulder

@clearwire-wmx.net

You're right. I don't know why I had thought Google had a relationship with them. I might have read somewhere that an ex-Google employee was involved in the startup.

Sorry about the misinformation.

BTW, I have no idea how much data I used that got me forced off. CenturyLink doesn't provide a way to view this important piece of information. One thing I find interesting is that CenturyLink's Prism TV service's downloads do not count against the 250GB limit, yet other streaming services, such as Tivo, do.

luckmann

join:2004-06-27
Albuquerque, NM
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to Ravynmagi7

I got a termination notice last month. On the day I was supposed to terminate I switched to comcast. My connection has been rock solid since. I had the 40/5 tier with home phone. I was paying about $85 for the service and never got 40mb. I usually got about 31. Now I have unlimited phone and the blast Internet tier (50/10) and am actually pulling as high as 86mb steady. And, now I only pay $78. And caps have been suspended by comcast. I have to say in my case much better service and the one time I have had to deal with comcast CSR I have gotten what I needed / asked for with zero hassle and I spoke to an American. I think CL is going to loose a lot of business.

Sometwo

join:2008-12-28
reply to Ravynmagi7

This says the cap is 300 GB, but the eup says it is 250 GB.

»CenturyLink 'Fires' Customers For Excessive Use...

»qwest.centurylink.com/internethelp/eup.html

quote:
[The meter] only considers the total usage (bytes transferred) over a defined period of time independent of protocols, applications, or the content that is generating the excessive usage.
Does CenturyLinks meter start at the first of every month? How do we know when the month starts over? The "defined period" isn't DEFINED!

TheMayor

on the PDF document, it says "For each calendar month". I read that to be from the 1st to the 31st of each month.

Sometwo

I'm not so sure that's what they mean. You also get billed once a month, so it could just as easily be your billing date.

A "defined period" could mean either of those, or some time they aren't saying, or it could actually mean if at ANY period you go over 250 GB.

Can someone from centurylink explain when the meter rolls over?

Sometwo

reply to Ravynmagi7

BTW is it just me or is CL lying with numbers?

quote:
Q: What is considered “excessive” or “high volume” use?
A: This small percentage of customers is on the extreme margin, using 30-1000 times the monthly volume
of customers in the same speed tier.
Less than 0.5% (one half of one percent) of customers approach these listed limits. This high usage
would equate to millions of emails, tens of thousands of photos or MP3 files and hundreds of hours of
streaming videos.
The "30-1000 times the usage of other people" is so generic no one can conclude anything from it. The range of numbers is ridiculous, and there is no definition of how much other people in the tier are downloading.

There is no way less than .5% of people are using more than 30 times the average person in the tier. Maybe .5% are using 1000 times the average. The numbers are worthless.

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
Premium,MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV
kudos:3

Reminds me of an old saying I heard when I was much younger.
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lies,_damn···atistics

Chongo

join:2007-12-11
Phoenix, AZ
reply to Ravynmagi7

I went to my mothers house earlier this week. When I got on her computer to read the comics I was greeted by a web message stating they were in violation of the excessive use policy. It show the last four months. 12/12 to 3/13. 400 GB a month for Dec, Jan, and Feb. March was almost 800GB. I believe it was a combination of Netflix and streaming the Jodie Arias trial on a daily basis.

TheMayor

Was that the first time that message was recieved by their account? If it was then I would have to assume that the 800GB amount triggered it & not so much, the 400 GB.

If they like watching netflix, I would probably suggest changing the quality of the stream to either low or medium.

Sometwo

1 edit
reply to Chongo

If they have a meter, and it's their meter everyone has to go by, what sense is there in only showing you the meter once you've gone past the limit? Are these guys serious?

Chongo

Phoenix, AZ
reply to TheMayor

It was the first message.

Boulder

@comcast.net
reply to Ravynmagi7

After CenturyLink dropped me for excessive DSL usage, I dropped them for plain old telephone service...having been a customer of their ancestor companies dating back to the original AT&T over 35 years ago with the same phone number.

I'm now on Comcast, using Ooma for the phone. The cost is one-third what I was paying to CenturyLink, the download speeds are more than double, and there are no download limits.

Tell me again how CenturyLink keeps any landline phone customers?

toby
Troy Mcclure

join:2001-11-13
Seattle, WA

said by Boulder :

Tell me again how CenturyLink keeps any landline phone customers?

Because of most of their service area where people don't have another choice.

Chongo

Phoenix, AZ
reply to Boulder

Comcast still has limits
»customer.comcast.com/help-and-su···aunching

Introduction
Frequently asked questions about excessive use of data.
What are the different plans you will be launching?
We'll be launching at least two approaches, and here is an overview:

In the Nashville market, we will increase our data usage allowance for all tiers to 300 GB per month and also offer additional gigabytes in increments/blocks (e.g., $10 per 50 GB).

In the Tucson market, we will increase our data usage allowance for XFINITY Internet customers subscribing to the Economy tier through the Performance tier from 250 GB to 300 GB. In addition, those customers subscribed to the Blast! tier will receive an increase to 350 GB, those subscribed to Extreme 50 will be increased to 450 GB, and those subscribed to Extreme 105 will be increased to 600 GB (see table below).

XFINITY Internet Package New Data Usage Allowance
Economy 300 GB
Economy Plus 300 GB
Internet Essentials 300 GB
Performance Starter 300 GB
Performance 300 GB
Blast 350 GB
Extreme 50 450 GB
Extreme 105 600 GB
In both approaches, we'll be increasing the initial data usage allowance for our customers from 250 GB per month to at least 300 GB per month.

luckmann

join:2004-06-27
Albuquerque, NM
Reviews:
·Comcast

Data usage:

65GB as of April 09, 2013
View Details Note: Enforcement of the 250GB data consumption threshold is currently suspended.

Since i switched from CTL I have used and average of about 200GB a month (I was recently terminated by CTL for excessive data usage.). Right now the caps are suspended and don't apply anywhere except the test markets. I realize this might change but I haven't seen any indication of it. The caps have been suspended since may of last year. That could be why they have so many customers and more are leaving Century link all the time.

Sometwo

Why do you say caps are suspended? If they are suspended why is that why people are leaving CenturyLink?