billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
Premium,MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV
kudos:3
reply to Sometwo

Re: [CenturyTel] Being terminated for excessive usage

Reminds me of an old saying I heard when I was much younger.
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lies,_damn···atistics

Chongo

join:2007-12-11
Phoenix, AZ
reply to Ravynmagi7

I went to my mothers house earlier this week. When I got on her computer to read the comics I was greeted by a web message stating they were in violation of the excessive use policy. It show the last four months. 12/12 to 3/13. 400 GB a month for Dec, Jan, and Feb. March was almost 800GB. I believe it was a combination of Netflix and streaming the Jodie Arias trial on a daily basis.

TheMayor

join:2002-05-09

Was that the first time that message was recieved by their account? If it was then I would have to assume that the 800GB amount triggered it & not so much, the 400 GB.

If they like watching netflix, I would probably suggest changing the quality of the stream to either low or medium.

Sometwo

join:2008-12-28

1 edit
reply to Chongo

If they have a meter, and it's their meter everyone has to go by, what sense is there in only showing you the meter once you've gone past the limit? Are these guys serious?

Chongo

Phoenix, AZ
reply to TheMayor

It was the first message.

Boulder

@comcast.net
reply to Ravynmagi7

After CenturyLink dropped me for excessive DSL usage, I dropped them for plain old telephone service...having been a customer of their ancestor companies dating back to the original AT&T over 35 years ago with the same phone number.

I'm now on Comcast, using Ooma for the phone. The cost is one-third what I was paying to CenturyLink, the download speeds are more than double, and there are no download limits.

Tell me again how CenturyLink keeps any landline phone customers?

toby
Troy Mcclure

join:2001-11-13
Seattle, WA

said by Boulder :

Tell me again how CenturyLink keeps any landline phone customers?

Because of most of their service area where people don't have another choice.

Chongo

Phoenix, AZ
reply to Boulder

Comcast still has limits
»customer.comcast.com/help-and-su···aunching

Introduction
Frequently asked questions about excessive use of data.
What are the different plans you will be launching?
We'll be launching at least two approaches, and here is an overview:

In the Nashville market, we will increase our data usage allowance for all tiers to 300 GB per month and also offer additional gigabytes in increments/blocks (e.g., $10 per 50 GB).

In the Tucson market, we will increase our data usage allowance for XFINITY Internet customers subscribing to the Economy tier through the Performance tier from 250 GB to 300 GB. In addition, those customers subscribed to the Blast! tier will receive an increase to 350 GB, those subscribed to Extreme 50 will be increased to 450 GB, and those subscribed to Extreme 105 will be increased to 600 GB (see table below).

XFINITY Internet Package New Data Usage Allowance
Economy 300 GB
Economy Plus 300 GB
Internet Essentials 300 GB
Performance Starter 300 GB
Performance 300 GB
Blast 350 GB
Extreme 50 450 GB
Extreme 105 600 GB
In both approaches, we'll be increasing the initial data usage allowance for our customers from 250 GB per month to at least 300 GB per month.

luckmann

join:2004-06-27
Albuquerque, NM
Reviews:
·Comcast

Data usage:

65GB as of April 09, 2013
View Details Note: Enforcement of the 250GB data consumption threshold is currently suspended.

Since i switched from CTL I have used and average of about 200GB a month (I was recently terminated by CTL for excessive data usage.). Right now the caps are suspended and don't apply anywhere except the test markets. I realize this might change but I haven't seen any indication of it. The caps have been suspended since may of last year. That could be why they have so many customers and more are leaving Century link all the time.

Sometwo

join:2008-12-28

Why do you say caps are suspended? If they are suspended why is that why people are leaving CenturyLink?

Sileny Jizda

join:2008-01-15
Millersburg, OH
reply to Ravynmagi7

We've already decided in this house if we get a notice we are terminating ALL Centurylink services. Presently, we are using the DD-WRT firmware to track our usage but that is only for ourselves since CL will not use it as evidence for us to protect our case. They will still use their imaginary numbers on their top-secret we can't show you meter they have.

luckmann

join:2004-06-27
Albuquerque, NM
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Sometwo

I didn't make my post clear. I have switched to Comcast. Caps are suspended with the exception of a few test markets for Comcast customers. Centurylink still has caps in place hence people are leaving DSL and switching to cable where they get more bandwidth for less money. I have not seen any evidence of Comcast re-introducing caps. Centurylink however is not budging on theirs.

AnonLuckmann

@comcast.net
reply to luckmann

I was too quick. CL has caps I switched to comcast. Comcast caps are suspended everywhere but a few test markets.

Centurylink has caps. Comcast has suspended caps