Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
·AT&T Midwest

PC Sleep Mode Question

Hi All

Windows 8 Pro 64bit
(Clean Reset installed recently)

Sleep Mode setting question

Is it fine to have PC set to sleep after 3 hours? So it can finish some Maintenance, like a virus or anti malware scan?

Or should I lower the time to say 1-2 hours?

koitsu
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
kudos:23

(I'm going to request the moderators send this to the Microsoft Help forum, given that this is not really a PC hardware question but a general OS-oriented question)

The interval of when to sleep is up to you -- it makes no difference.

Windows Vista onward tend to do all sorts of "maintenance" activities at different times; anti-malware scanning is usually done in real-time, and the same especially applies for viruses.

Disk defragmenting, Windows Defender definition updates, a Defender "quick scan" (which is purely precautionary), and some other tasks are scheduled to run at a specific time of day (I think 02:00 in the morning local time). Microsoft Security Essentials also has something similar.

If the PC is asleep at that time, these tasks won't get run.

The time at which these tasks run is configurable in each application, so you can change it to meet your needs. To my knowledge, however, none of these applications will automatically induce wake-up to run. There may be software or ways to configure the PC to automatically wake up at some time (say 01:55am) then later shut off (say 04:00am), giving those scheduled tasks a chance to run, but to my knowledge this isn't possible natively within any of those programs.
--
Making life hard for others since 1977.
I speak for myself and not my employer/affiliates of my employer.

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

2 edits

1 recommendation

said by koitsu:

This is not necessarily true; scheduled tasks can wake up the machine. Mine wake up in the wee hours to do backups (via Home Server: task is scheduled on client) and to run Windows Update.

I took no particular action to make this happen: it's just normal. It seems like it would be pretty silly to write a scheduled task that was intended to run when no-one has been at the machine for a couple of hours, and then have it *not* do a wakeup. Self-defeating design.

I'm pretty sure that Security Essentials also wakes the machine: the PC *will* be asleep by the time MSE needs to run, and MSE *does* run, though I suppose there is a sliver of a chance that the PC just happens to be awake after doing something else.

EDITED: for every scheduled task, the 'conditions' tab in Task Scheduler has a checkbox for 'wake the computer to run this task'. I'm not at home right now so can't check on specific tasks.

I think that after being woken up, the normal rules for idling apply.

dave
Premium,MVM
not in ohio
reply to computerman2

Why so high? I have the various computers at home set to sleep after about 30 minutes of idle. The wake-up takes a few seconds, so it's not really an inconvenience. Most of 'em rarely ever get powered off.

computerman2
Premium
join:2002-04-20
Rockwood, MI
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
·AT&T Midwest

Yeah think I set the hours originally too high, set it back to 30 Minutes now, and should be all set

Do use Windows 8 Defender, so i'll see if it does wake up and perform it's quick scan during Windows 8 Maintenance time.

Thank you everyone for the replies, really do appreciate and have learned a few things on Sleep mode in the process as well.

koitsu
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
kudos:23
reply to dave

said by dave:

said by koitsu:

EDITED: for every scheduled task, the 'conditions' tab in Task Scheduler has a checkbox for 'wake the computer to run this task'. I'm not at home right now so can't check on specific tasks.

I think that after being woken up, the normal rules for idling apply.

Thank you -- this is (new) information to me, and it proves my understanding of the existing (or historic?) model is either outdated or wrong. I'm quite happy to be wrong in this case.
--
Making life hard for others since 1977.
I speak for myself and not my employer/affiliates of my employer.

dmagerl
Premium
join:2007-08-06
Woodstock, IL
reply to computerman2

You have to be careful when setting the "wake computer to run task" box.

Microsoft is notorious for resetting that box back to it's default setting every time an update is received. For Security Essentials, thats pretty often.

I gave up trying to get MSE to wake the computer at 2:00am using the preconfigured scheduled task. I had to duplicate the scheduled task under another name that Microsoft doesnt update and then set that to wake the computer.

computerman2
Premium
join:2002-04-20
Rockwood, MI

Thank you All for the replies, hopefully it works properly next time I leave it idle, and wakes up properly to run the tasks and such.

Guess will see though how it does.

dave
Premium,MVM
not in ohio
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to computerman2

It looks to me that the only thing I have waking the system up is WHS backup; and then everything else that needs doing gets to be done then as well.

C:\Windows\system32>powercfg -waketimers
Timer set by [SERVICE] \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Program Files\Windows Home Server\WHSConnector.exe (WHSConnector) expires at 02:26:28 on 3/21/2013.