dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
« This goal
This is a sub-selection from The United States..

toby
Troy Mcclure
join:2001-11-13
Seattle, WA

1 recommendation

toby to elray

to elray

Re: The United States..

said by elray:

said by SimbaSeven:

..will never see it.. Ever. If ISP's can charge $40/mo for a 768k connection, getting these speeds for that price will never happen.

Nonsense.

With the exception of those who choose to live in the middle of nowhere, there will continue to be competitive pressures forcing continual improvement in wired price:performance.

Those who live in underserved locations will benefit as well, as more wireless options become available.

I'm assuming that you live in a huge city and choices.
Out in the West you can live in a city 20k people and have no choices.

If you think wireless cellphone and satellite are choices, then you are mistaken.
It is like saying just build your own power station if you want cheaper power.

We live in the same country, I pay federal taxes that go to your schools for your children, etc.
elray
join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

elray

said by toby:

I'm assuming that you live in a huge city and choices.

You'd be wrong. Our city is but 8 square miles, with a population under 100K, and at present, we have only one choice.
said by toby:

Out in the West you can live in a city 20k people and have no choices.

If you think wireless cellphone and satellite are choices, then you are mistaken.
It is like saying just build your own power station if you want cheaper power.

We live in the same country, I pay federal taxes that go to your schools for your children, etc.

We do live in the same country. The federal government has no business using our tax money to fund schools, anywhere. Schools are a local concern. Frankly, we shouldn't be paying any tax for them at all, given the record of the public school monopoly.

You choose to live in a 20K town. If you want broadband, it may come at a bit of a premium versus more dense settings.

We choose to live in a 100K city. We pay a huge premium for our choice, versus moving to a 20K town.

We don't ask you to subsidize our rent, transportation, insurance, utilities, or any other higher costs that reflect our location; please don't expect us to underwrite yours.
« This goal
This is a sub-selection from The United States..