uniqs

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
join:2001-06-15
Brooklyn, NY

Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

[XPPro] Need Hardware & Driver Help

I am currently working on 3 computers, that I reformatted and installed Windows XP Professional on. Two of them are desktops, and one of them is a laptop. Few situations here....

1. One of the desktops is a Shuttle, and I was able to successfully install XP after having to replaced the motherboard. This was done via a CD. But now after I've got the system all setup and all the drivers loaded, the CD drive isn't even being seen in Windows, or in the BIOS. WTH?! Clearly the CD drive was working for me to be able to install Windows, so why the hell isn't it even being seen by the system now???!

2. The second desktop I'm working on is a desktop that was given to my aunt, and she asked me to check it out and clean it up. Looks like it was built by whomever gave it to her. Before I reformat the HD and put XP on it, I want to know how best to go about finding out all the components that are in there, in order to know what drivers to download? Obviously Windows doesn't give you detailed descriptions in device manager if you've got that yellow exclamation mark, for you to know what components are in there and what drivers you need, short of opening up the tower and trying to look for the model numbers of every component in there.

3. The third system I'm working on is a laptop, a Dell Latitude D620. I reformatted the system already and have a bunch of yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager that I need to download the drivers for, but there are not and detailed descriptions/model numbers for me to know what drivers I need! Since I cant' open the laptop up, how best to find out what all the components are in the laptop, in order to know what drivers to download and install?

That's in advance everyone for your help.

dib22
join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

dib22

As for number 3 you can go here:

»www.dell.com/support/tro ··· ude-d620

the click on view drivers and downloads. Or just enter the dells service tag here: »www.dell.com/support/hom ··· en&s=bsd

I would install Chipset first.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

What's Chipset, and will that only work for #3?

What about #'s 1 & 2?

dib22
join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

1 recommendation

dib22

said by Alpha Phoenix:

What's Chipset, and will that only work for #3?

What about #'s 1 & 2?

Well for number 1 and 2 I would look on the motherboard and get its model number (or just go into the bios which should also list the model number).

Then goto the mfg website for each motherboard and go to the support section. Pop in the model number and windows xp when prompted and grab the chipset drivers.

The chipset drivers are usually any drivers that are needed to get the base level parts of a motherboard running... so a good place to start.

You might also just try running windows update or apply the service packs if needed... sometimes those updates will get the device drivers working again, but installing the chipset drivers is usually just easier.

If you are ever doing a (eek) vista, or 7, or 8 install you most likely wont need the chipset drivers.
Gem
Premium Member
join:2005-09-10

1 recommendation

Gem to Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

to Alpha Phoenix
For number 1, the CD likely came loose or partly unplugged inside the case. Figure out how to open the case and disconnect the CD connections. Wait 5 seconds, then reconnect. Then restart the laptop and see if the CD works again. If not, replace the CD drive.

Before you do anything inside the laptop unplug it from the AC power and remove the battery. Then discharge all power before opening the inside of the laptop.

It's not a fragile as you might think. Just go slow and be gentle and careful. Look for online tutorials about how to get inside your make and model before you start.

BEWARE: even if you are gentle and careful you can still damage the laptop so you are on your own if you do that. DO SO ONLY at your OWN RISK.

As to the other #2 and #3 driver questions. Install XP, then go to Windows updates to let windows install drivers for whatever it recognizes.

Then get Speccy online.

»www.piriform.com/speccy

Run it to see more details about your rig. With that information you may be able to go to manufacturer web pages for other drivers. Don't worry if you can't get them all. All you need is enough to run the lappy to do whatever you want it to do.

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

1 recommendation

plencnerb to Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

to Alpha Phoenix
This probably applies to number 2, as well as number 3.

When you are in device manger, and you right-click on one of the unknown items, you should be able to go to the details tab, and look at the hardware ID's for the item.

In my case, the picture above is for my video card. But, if I did not know that, I could google the hardware ID's, and that may lead you to figure out what drive is needed. You may not find an exact match, but hopefully it leads you in the right direction.

--Brian

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

Thanks. I'll try your suggestions. I just wish there was an easy way to see what the model for each unknown component is, and to download the drivers.
Alpha Phoenix

Alpha Phoenix to plencnerb

Premium Member

to plencnerb
said by plencnerb:

This probably applies to number 2, as well as number 3.

When you are in device manger, and you right-click on one of the unknown items, you should be able to go to the details tab, and look at the hardware ID's for the item.

In my case, the picture above is for my video card. But, if I did not know that, I could google the hardware ID's, and that may lead you to figure out what drive is needed. You may not find an exact match, but hopefully it leads you in the right direction.

Is there some kind of program I can download and install, that doesn't require an internet connection to run (for example if the Ethernet drivers aren't installed yet because I don't know which ones I need or what the model is), and just scan the hardware and list the model numbers? I'm thinking that should be hard-coded into whatever the peripheral is, right?

--Brian

I have a long string of characters for each of the components I need drivers for. Can't make out what the model is from those numbers. Do I have to type out that whole string of characters in the browser of my laptop that I actually have an internet connection on (my personal Mac), in order to try to find out what they are, or is there an easier way?

On #2, I haven't reformatted it and put XP on it yet, and wanted to go into Device Manager to see if I could figure out what the Ethernet, Audio, Video, Bus Controller, Network Controller, etc. components are in order to download those drivers ahead of time and put them on a USB stick, but can't make out what the components model #'s are from the Device Manager.
Alpha Phoenix

Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

I'm working on #2 currently, and there is an Amigo NV-AGA-9021X Radeon 9250 Graphics Card installed in there, but I can't find the drivers anywhere online to download them. Can somebody please help?!

Freddy
Premium Member
join:2005-05-17
Arlington, VA

1 recommendation

Freddy

Premium Member

On the following AMD website, click on Find a Driver (upper right) and then, among the options, select Auto Detect and Install, after also selecting the other required options. Maybe that approach will work for you:

»www.amd.com/us/Pages/AMD ··· age.aspx

Freddy
Gem
Premium Member

1 recommendation

Gem to Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

to Alpha Phoenix
Can't help you with the Dell box, but as to the others, the advice you've gotten so far is good.

Start with identifying the mobo and then google for its specs or go to the manufacturer's website if they are still in business or even if not, if they still have a website up on the Internet. With information that you can get the chipset drivers and many other needed drivers in most cases.

For the graphics card, drivers for it are easy too. Is it a PCI, AGP, or PCI-e card. And is it an ATI or nVidia based card? Once you know that there are multiple places to go to get video card drivers. If it is an older card, you'll probably want an older driver rather than the newest version.

»www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php

Speccy can give you much needed information on the components in each box. So can AIDA. Just google for a site from which to download either of them.

Is your CD Drive visible in Windows yet?

Keep us posted on how your projects are going. Sure many of us will be glad to continue to help out. Even with parts if you find you need something.

BTW, I'd stick with working on one box at a time. Get one working and then tackle each of the other ones one at a time.

plencnerb
Premium Member
53403-1242

1 recommendation

plencnerb to Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

to Alpha Phoenix

Picture #1

Picture #2

Click for full size
Picture #3

Picture #4
You could also try this.

Go to AMD's webpage

»www.amd.com/us/Pages/AMD ··· age.aspx

On the far right side at the top menu you will see the option "Find a Driver". If you look at Picture #1, this option is indicated by the red arrow.

When you mouse over that, you should get a drop down menu like I've shown in Picture #2. Fill in your options as I have them, and then click "View Results".

You should then be re-directed to the page I'm showing in Picture #3.

The words "Catalyst Software Suite" is a link. Clicking on that should start a download of the driver install package as a self-extracting EXE (see picture #4). Personally, I always choose "Save File" so I have a copy of it locally in case I need to run it again. I never just run files from the internet without saving them first.

Once the download is complete, run that EXE to extract the setup files to your computer. I've not run it, but it should do one of two things. It will either just extract all the files, and then you will have to go find and run setup.exe yourself, or when the extraction of the files is complete, it will launch the correct install program for you.

--Brian
techsup1983
join:2013-03-23

1 recommendation

techsup1983 to Alpha Phoenix

to Alpha Phoenix
I would use slim drivers, its free and will automatically find/update your missing software.
»download.cnet.com/SlimDr ··· 940.html
Gem
Premium Member

1 recommendation

Gem

Premium Member

said by techsup1983:

I would use slim drivers, its free and will automatically find/update your missing software.
»download.cnet.com/SlimDr ··· 940.html

That looks like a good program. It appears to work well. Just tested it on my laptop.

One word of caution, however. During the install, it will automatically install additional AVG softwares (3 of them) that you may not want on your computer.

To avoid the unwanted software, I recommend selecting the "custom install" method and unchecking all three boxes that will then be shown to you.
techsup1983
join:2013-03-23

techsup1983

I've used it so much that it's almost 2nd nature to deselect that on install.
Thanks for mentioning it

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

Alpha Phoenix to Gem

Premium Member

to Gem
Thanks guys. You guys are a big help. I'll try out your suggestions and let you know how it goes.

As for #1, unfortunately it's still not seeing the optical drive. I just swapped out the drive, and the IDE cable, and still nothing! Just said to hell with it and bought and external DVD burner. Hopefully that at least works.
The problem now is that after swapping out the optical drive and IDE cable (I also tried the IDE cable in the 2nd IDE port on the motherboard with no luck), not the damned thing won't power up! I don't get what's wrong with it?! I had to take out the RAM and the graphics card to get to the IDE cable, and I'm pretty sure everything is seated properly... can't figure it out. It's plugged in and I see the light on by the Ethernet port so I know power is going to the machine, but the machine just won't power up now.

#2 kept giving me error messages when I was trying to reinstall XP on it, saying certain setup files and .dll files were not able to be installed properly. Now after finally constantly hitting "Retry" to force the install to go through, I got XP up and running, but VLC, Adobe Reader, Java, and Microsoft Office 2007 won't install on it. I thought maybe I should put the service packs on, so I installed SP2 and SP3 and then did a Windows update and then it kind of crashed and said that there was a problem, to put in the Windows CD and boot to it and hit "R" for repair. I tried that and then it took me to a DOS screen and didn't give me options to repair, or even start the repair on it's own. I'm thinking I probably need to try reformatting and reinstalling XP all over again. What do you guys think? And if so, what happens if I start getting those error messages again during the re-installation process?
On other thing, the first time I was trying to reformat and reinstall XP on this machine, the circuit breaker tripped and the power went out. I flipped the circuit back on the circuit breaker panel and got the power back on again, but would that have messed something up and corrupted something on this machine since it was in the middle of the reformatting/re-installation process? It was after I got the power back that I tried to reformat/reinstall XP and then I got these problems.

plencnerb
Premium Member
53403-1242

1 recommendation

plencnerb

Premium Member

said by Alpha Phoenix:

Thanks guys. You guys are a big help. I'll try out your suggestions and let you know how it goes.

Always glad to help people out on here. Lets hope we can figure out what your issues still are, and get them resolved!
said by Alpha Phoenix:

As for #1, unfortunately it's still not seeing the optical drive. I just swapped out the drive, and the IDE cable, and still nothing! Just said to hell with it and bought and external DVD burner. Hopefully that at least works.

I don't know that much about a Shuttle desktop, but it does sound odd that the drive would work fine on install, and then "die" after xp was installed. While it is not uncommon, optical drives to fail, but the ones that I have seen normally fail by not reading or writing to the disc. The optical drive has always shown up in BIOS at least.

I was going to suggest a different optical drive and cable, but you have already done that. You have also tried the other IDE port on the motherboard. When you replaced the motherboard, was a new one, or one you had laying around? I ask as it sounds like the IDE ports on the motherboard have gone bad. Again, just a guess on my part here.
said by Alpha Phoenix:

The problem now is that after swapping out the optical drive and IDE cable (I also tried the IDE cable in the 2nd IDE port on the motherboard with no luck), not the damned thing won't power up! I don't get what's wrong with it?! I had to take out the RAM and the graphics card to get to the IDE cable, and I'm pretty sure everything is seated properly... can't figure it out. It's plugged in and I see the light on by the Ethernet port so I know power is going to the machine, but the machine just won't power up now.

When you say "does not power up" do you get anything at all, or just a black screen? My suggestion here would be to remove everything (Ram, any IDE devices, SATA devices, external devices too including keyboard, mouse, hard drives, etc), and be left with just the power supply. With no memory, it should beep at you, as it won't be able to post or even try to boot at that point. If that does not work, then maybe your power supply is bad? If it does beep, then connect just the memory and see if you can get it to post. It won't boot, as you don't have any drives connected, but you should at least see video, and some error message about not having any bootable devices. You should also be able to get into the BIOS as well at that point. I would then try to add back your Hard Drive, and see what happens.
said by Alpha Phoenix:

#2 kept giving me error messages when I was trying to reinstall XP on it, saying certain setup files and .dll files were not able to be installed properly. Now after finally constantly hitting "Retry" to force the install to go through, I got XP up and running, but VLC, Adobe Reader, Java, and Microsoft Office 2007 won't install on it. I thought maybe I should put the service packs on, so I installed SP2 and SP3 and then did a Windows update and then it kind of crashed and said that there was a problem, to put in the Windows CD and boot to it and hit "R" for repair. I tried that and then it took me to a DOS screen and didn't give me options to repair, or even start the repair on it's own. I'm thinking I probably need to try reformatting and reinstalling XP all over again. What do you guys think? And if so, what happens if I start getting those error messages again during the re-installation process?
On other thing, the first time I was trying to reformat and reinstall XP on this machine, the circuit breaker tripped and the power went out. I flipped the circuit back on the circuit breaker panel and got the power back on again, but would that have messed something up and corrupted something on this machine since it was in the middle of the reformatting/re-installation process? It was after I got the power back that I tried to reformat/reinstall XP and then I got these problems.

A few things come to mind here with #2. The tripping of the circuit breaker should not have done anything, as it would have the same effect of you pulling the cord during the install. The worst that could happen is that it may have caused bad sectors to be created on your hard drive. That is of course a rare case. When you mention about errors during the install of the OS, that can be caused by bad media (ie your CD/DVD disc is scratched or damaged). The other reason would be bad sector(s) on your hard drive, as its not able to copy the data from the CD/DVD to the hard drive. Knowing that you also cannot install other things (Java, Adobe Reader, etc), it would imply that your hard drive has issues (if you are doing those installs from the hard drive directly, and not a CD). So, what I would suggest here is that you may want to look at running some tests on the Hard Drive to make sure it is error free. The best place to start with that would be the website of whoever made the hard drive. If the issue is the CD/DVD itself of the OS install, I would see if you could burn yourself another copy of the install media.

--Brian

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds to Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

to Alpha Phoenix
For #2 try Unknown Device Identifier

»Re: [Need Info] PC Hardware Inventory

Unknown Devices Beta 1.4.20
»www.halfdone.com/ukd/

Unknown Device Identifier v8.00
»www.zhangduo.com/udi.html

Unknown Devices 1.5.1
»code.google.com/p/unknow ··· devices/
Doctor Olds

Doctor Olds to Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

to Alpha Phoenix
said by Alpha Phoenix:

What's Chipset,

It is the Chipset Drivers for the Motherboard core chipsets (Intel, AMD/ATI, NVIDIA, ULi/ALi, SiS, VIA) and it is the first thing to install after reinstalling/or fresh installing any Windows OS. Also called Northbridge/Southbridge drivers.

»www.playtool.com/pages/c ··· set.html
quote:
If you're installing a new operating system from scratch then Windows will use default chipset drivers to get your system running. Those default drivers have limited functionality. Generally, the first thing to do once Windows is up and running is to install the chipset drivers. It's best to install chipset drivers before anything else because some of your motherboard devices won't appear until after the chipset drivers are installed. In most cases things will still work if you install chipset drivers later, but generally speaking, it's best if they're installed first.
Gem
Premium Member

Gem to Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

to Alpha Phoenix
Take it slow and easy. You may have a bad board, or the processor may have died if you are getting no boot at all after what you describe on board #1.

What I'd suggest for it is to dismantle the board entirely including removing the heatsink and CPU and all devices and all cables.

Then remove the CMOS battery and test it on a digital multi-meter to be sure it is good. Harbor Freight has those for under $10 - sometimes under $5 on sale. If the battery is dead or low, buy another one.

Clear the CMOS. Then reassemble everything, including applying new thermal compound (just a very small dab - two BBs in size) to the CPU before cleaning and reseating the heatsink. Also clean the old thermal paste off the processor before reinstalling it.

With the power supply unplugged, reinstall all your power cables to the motherboard and to the hard drive and to the optical drive. Be sure to align everything the right way. If you plug a cable in the wrong way it can kill the board or the device.

Then reconnect the Power cord to the PSU. Attempt to boot into the bios. See if everything is seen. That is the hard drive and the optical drive. If you see them both, reset all settings as needed in the bios.
Save and restart. Then try to do a clean reinstall of Windows XP. Be sure the Devices are set to IDE mode if that is what you are using.

If you can see devices in the bios, but not in windows that usually (but not always) means a bios setting problem.

Report back and let us know what's happening with this machine after taking the above steps.

If you have new IDE cables try them. Likewise if the Optical drive still doesn't show up, try yet another Optical drive. Also try the Optical drive that doesn't work on this build in a different computer to see if it shows up in a different "known good" build.
Gem

Gem to Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

to Alpha Phoenix
As to problem #2, first check out your power supply. Is it large enough for the build? Is it failing?

Do you have a way to test the voltage output on it? If so, do so. You should be getting 12v + or - a fraction on all the 12v rails. Go online to Google how to test that with a multimeter or simply remove the present power supply and replace it with a known good one for now in this build.

If you are feeling brave, you might want to unplug the power supply, discharge any power from it, and only then remove the cover off the power supply to visually inspect it without touching anything. Look for any white stuff on the capacitors that might be leaking or building up. That's the sign of a dying power supply.

If the PSU is going bad, discard it and replace it with a new one or a different "known good" one.

If the PSU is large enough and not failing report back and we can move to the next step.