Re: New speeds coming

I didn't say this but:

$41 - 3 Mbps/1 Mbps
$51 - 18 Mbps/ 1.5Mbps
$66 - 30 Mbps/ 3 Mbps
$86 - 45 Mbps/ 6 Mbps
$xx - 60 Mbps/ 6 Mbps (future tier)
$xx - 75 Mbps/ 10 Mbps (future tier)

The first four tiers will be the only available tiers at launch. Customers currently on the 6 Mbps tier will the grandfathered in unless they change speeds. Customers currently on the 12 Mbps will see a free speed bump to the 18 Mbps tier. Customers on the current 18Mbps tier will see a speed bump to 24Mbps and will be grandfathered at that speed as the 24Mbps speed will no longer be available. Customers currently on the 24Mbps speed will get a speed bump to the 30Mbps speed but will need to pay for a truck roll in case pair bonding is necessary. The 60 and 75 mbps tiers will be rolled out at a future date to make it seem at&t is constantly upgrading.

Now I know you may be wondering why there is nothing between 3mbps and 18mbps? well 3mbps will be used as retention/grandma/low usage users. Eliminating the middle tiers also forces customers to 18mbps even if they don't need it. We've counted our beans and this is the best way forward. We'll probably cover up this by stating that our customers want faster speeds so we got rid of the slow ones nobody wants except the 3mbps reserved for grandma.

Craiger

join:2012-07-05
Chesterfield, MO
Are those tiers for both Uverse and DSL? Do people on the 6 Mbps get grandfathered into the 18 Mbps and the 6 Mbps will no longer be offered? Thanks.

dlewis23

join:2005-04-18
Boca Raton, FL
reply to Kraygur
said by Kraygur :

Customers on the current 18Mbps tier will see a speed bump to 24Mbps and will be grandfathered at that speed as the 24Mbps speed will no longer be available.

I understand this is AT&T but why would they bump 18 Mbps up to 24 Mbps if they no longer off the 24 Mbps speed instead of just bumping them up to 30 Mbps to have less plans?

Also what about customers who are on 18 Mbps but unable to get 24 Mbps would it require a truck roll for pair bonding?

Matt7

join:2001-01-02
Columbus, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Insight Communic..
said by dlewis23:

I understand this is AT&T but why would they bump 18 Mbps up to 24 Mbps if they no longer off the 24 Mbps speed instead of just bumping them up to 30 Mbps to have less plans?

Also what about customers who are on 18 Mbps but unable to get 24 Mbps would it require a truck roll for pair bonding?

My guess it is has to do with pricing of the tiers on what is grandfathered.

Ghost0009000

@comcast.net
Any news for IP-DSL users?

Zoder

join:2002-04-16
Miami, FL

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to Kraygur
said by Kraygur :

I didn't say this but:

$41 - 3 Mbps/1 Mbps
$51 - 18 Mbps/ 1.5Mbps
$66 - 30 Mbps/ 3 Mbps
$86 - 45 Mbps/ 6 Mbps
$xx - 60 Mbps/ 6 Mbps (future tier)
$xx - 75 Mbps/ 10 Mbps (future tier)

Now I know you may be wondering why there is nothing between 3mbps and 18mbps? well 3mbps will be used as retention/grandma/low usage users. Eliminating the middle tiers also forces customers to 18mbps even if they don't need it. We've counted our beans and this is the best way forward. We'll probably cover up this by stating that our customers want faster speeds so we got rid of the slow ones nobody wants except the 3mbps reserved for grandma.

Thanks for the info. I'm actually wondering how this is competitive. I'm in a Comcast market that's upgrading their speeds tomorrow. For $51 you'll get 25/4 and for $61 50/10. The new Blast tier beats Uverse's new tiers on both price and speed. As long as I'm getting half off for Uverse I don't mind, but I would never pay full price for these new tiers.

There's nothing the top exec's at at&t like more than increasing the ARPU. So 3 is overpriced and it jumps from there to 18. They could position themselves as real competitive on the lowend, but that would lower ARPU.

AMDUSER
Premium
join:2003-05-28
Earth,
kudos:1
The bad part about it is, - at my house I can not get anything faster than the 3 Meg on that list [or grandfathered 6 Meg which I currently have.]

At the very least, I would need pair bonding for IP-DSL for the 18 Meg service.

Zoder

Miami, FL
said by AMDUSER:

The bad part about it is, - at my house I can not get anything faster than the 3 Meg on that list [or grandfathered 6 Meg which I currently have.]

At the very least, I would need pair bonding for IP-DSL for the 18 Meg service.

Apparently pair bonding will be the new standard so that shouldn't be a problem for you.

nephipower

join:2012-02-20
San Antonio, TX
reply to Zoder
said by Zoder:

Thanks for the info. I'm actually wondering how this is competitive. I'm in a Comcast market that's upgrading their speeds tomorrow. For $51 you'll get 25/4 and for $61 50/10. The new Blast tier beats Uverse's new tiers on both price and speed. As long as I'm getting half off for Uverse I don't mind, but I would never pay full price for these new tiers.

There's nothing the top exec's at at&t like more than increasing the ARPU. So 3 is overpriced and it jumps from there to 18. They could position themselves as real competitive on the lowend, but that would lower ARPU.

You also forgetting that this is all pricing before any promotional rates that they will offer. So in reality it won't be this expensive.

Today the regular price of 24 mbit service is $66 so everybody calm down first before deciding to pick up your pitch fork

doubleohwhat

join:2008-10-25
Birmingham, AL
I'm curious to see what the business (cap free) plans and prices will be will be.

mcwhatl

join:2010-12-19
North Miami Beach, FL
reply to Kraygur
said by Kraygur :

I didn't say this but:

$41 - 3 Mbps/1 Mbps
$51 - 18 Mbps/ 1.5Mbps
$66 - 30 Mbps/ 3 Mbps
$86 - 45 Mbps/ 6 Mbps

Wow, if these prices are accurate then I will switch to cable. In Atlanta, Xfinity Blast! pricing for 50/10 will be around $70/month + install. Why would anyone pay $86/month + install for 45/6 in a market served by Comcast?

Darknessfall
Premium
join:2012-08-17
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse
said by mcwhatl:

said by Kraygur :

I didn't say this but:

$41 - 3 Mbps/1 Mbps
$51 - 18 Mbps/ 1.5Mbps
$66 - 30 Mbps/ 3 Mbps
$86 - 45 Mbps/ 6 Mbps

Wow, if these prices are accurate then I will switch to cable. In Atlanta, Xfinity Blast! pricing for 50/10 will be around $70/month + install. Why would anyone pay $86/month + install for 45/6 in a market served by Comcast?

I also get 23/4.5 without powerboost/download speeds up to 100 Mbps+ with powerboost quick bursts for $19.99 on Comcast on a promo. Not really worth going to AT&T with those prices, even with a promotion.

Metatron2008
Premium
join:2008-09-02
united state
That 45/6 is pretty much the same price as 100/5 on charter. 55 less download, 1 more upload. What a tough choice!

doubleohwhat

join:2008-10-25
Birmingham, AL
said by Metatron2008:

That 45/6 is pretty much the same price as 100/5 on charter. 55 less download, 1 more upload. What a tough choice!

The bean counters at AT&T smoke only the best weed. We've known that for a while.

One of the things they're banking on is communities like mine where they made a deal with the developer to be the only TV/Phone/Internet provider. A lot of the new communities around here have similar deals. The HOA gets a check from AT&T each month for every subscriber in the community. I imagine it's a pretty small check but it's apparently enough to have my HOA forbid Charter from ripping up the landscaping to install lines.

So I'll probably be paying whatever AT&T charges for the new plans whether it's a good deal or not.

morbo
Complete Your Transaction

join:2002-01-22
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to Kraygur
6 tiers? Wow. Exact opposite strategy of Charter reducing options to only 2 tiers.

I'm a little disappointed the upload speed hasn't been upgraded on the 18 Mbps tier. It's the same as the current 12 Mbps tier: 1.5Mbps.

What is the current upload speed for the 18Mbps and 24Mbps tiers? I may update now if there is a price advantage.

raIDERspeed

join:2002-07-26
Soledad, CA
reply to Kraygur
So they just cut out the 6mbps?

c4junk
Premium
join:2004-05-08
Orlando, FL
and the 12 mbps

raIDERspeed

join:2002-07-26
Soledad, CA
I hope they don't downgrade me

Zoder

Miami, FL
reply to nephipower
said by nephipower:

You also forgetting that this is all pricing before any promotional rates that they will offer. So in reality it won't be this expensive.

Today the regular price of 24 mbit service is $66 so everybody calm down first before deciding to pick up your pitch fork

So are the Comcast prices I quoted. After your initial promo most customers pay the regular price unless they call in and threaten to cancel.

24 for $66 is no longer competitive.

These prices on the other hand would be:

$31 - 3 Mbps
$36 - 6 Mbps
$41 - 12 Mbps
$46 - 18 Mbps
$51 - 24 Mbps
$56 - 30 Mbps
$61 - 45 Mbps

Darknessfall
Premium
join:2012-08-17
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse

4 edits
I would make it:(If I wanted to REALLY be competitive it would look something like this )
$30 - 3/1 Promo:$15
$40 - 12/1.5 Promo:$20
$45 - 24/3 Promo: $25
$50 - 30/- Promo:$30
$55 - 45/- Promo: $35
$70 - 75/- Promo: $50
$90 - 100/- Promo: $70

Add in rental fee costs.