Search similar:

uniqs
Matesax
join:2013-03-20
Czech Rep.

Matesax

UNIX for me?

Hi,
I hate maximization of this age. Why is needed 64bit OS? No for me... I leave GUI - I using only CommandLine. I want a small OS without excess applications. But with small automation - therefore for example in NetBSD is big problem to correctly set network interface. (WIFI - WPA2) And in Ubuntu it's possible to paste only SSID and KEY... But Ubuntu using lot of space and so on... I install Ubuntu Minimal - after small time it's using more HDD then other UNIX with GUI... (I using only 8 applications and Ruby, C/C++, Python development - therefore I'm programmer - but it using only small part of HDD.) From GUI I using only MPlayer. (FrameBuffer) Summary - I want a small, fast, agile UNIX with little automation. Which one UNIX do you recommend?
Thank you all.

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

1 recommendation

Hayward0

Premium Member

Then again you want to take Linux to its mini me self it is astounding what Android accomplishes on very small scales.... most even complex Apps not over 10MB if not a lot of graphic data.

And the tablet devices are pretty amazing too... very near PC but for high end stuff like intense Photoshop, video and audio production... but all else pretty much can do if your interest is just basic need and even above.

timcuth
Braves Fan
Premium Member
join:2000-09-18
Pelham, AL

timcuth to Matesax

Premium Member

to Matesax
Ok, I will recommend the "NoX" spin of Siduction Linux. Or, Arch Linux.

Tim

Trihexagonal5
join:2004-08-29
US

Trihexagonal5 to Matesax

to Matesax
If you're looking for little automation I'd suggest you give FreeBSD a try. You build it from scratch with only the base system as a start. Then you decide if you even want things like Xorg with it and have the option to build everything from binary packages or compile them through the ports system, which is what I prefer.

»freebsd.org

piper
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
Buffalo, NY

1 recommendation

piper to timcuth

Premium Member

to timcuth
said by timcuth:

Ok, I will recommend the "NoX" spin of Siduction Linux. Or, Arch Linux.

Tim

+1

I second the "NoX" spin of siduction

wmcbrine
join:2002-12-30
Laurel, MD

wmcbrine to Matesax

to Matesax
The smallest Unix that I've personally used was Minix. It ran fine on a 286 with a 40 MB (not GB) hard drive. I think that system had 2 MB (not GB) of RAM; maybe 4. I probably still have it here somewhere...
Matesax
Czech Rep.

Matesax

But how can I configure WPA2 connection?

laprjns
Premium Member
join:2002-03-11
Ellington, CT

laprjns to Matesax

Premium Member

to Matesax
How about Salix »www.salixos.org/wiki/ind ··· php/Home
mich64
join:2008-08-30

1 recommendation

mich64 to Matesax

to Matesax
quote:
Dunno about BSDs. In linux distros you just install wpa_supplicant and create /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf containing
network = {
    ssid="SSID"
    psk="password"
}

Not exactly rocket science.

Trihexagonal5
join:2004-08-29
US

Trihexagonal5

said by mich64:

quote:
Dunno about BSDs. In linux distros you just install wpa_supplicant and create /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf containing
network = {
    ssid="SSID"
    psk="password"
}

Not exactly rocket science.

It's pretty much the same for FreeBSD, although there may be a few more fields in the /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf file.
Matesax
Czech Rep.

3 edits

Matesax to mich64

to mich64
I'm thinking that I'll try DOS...

GILXA1226
MVM
join:2000-12-29
Dayton, OH

GILXA1226

MVM

said by Matesax:

I'm thinking that I'll try DOS...

you'll probably end up having the same problems with DOS. Take a look at susestudio.com, you can build a pre-configured appliance to meet your exact specifications. With a little work you should also be able to get the wireless networking setup properly as well.
Expand your moderator at work