Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
kudos:4

[Upgrades] Charter Fort Worth Texas system test area for 100% di

looks like Charter is going 100% digital in its North Texas systems starting off with the Fort Worth cluster and they adding close to 80-90 HD channels in system!

»connect.charter.com/digitalnow/

»connect.charter.com/digitalnow/d···ical.pdf

140+ HD channels soon for the Charter systems in Fort Worth and surrounding areas

ve52001

join:2004-05-11
Duncanville, TX

Re: [Upgrades] Charter Fort Worth Texas system test area for 100

Thanks for the heads up, hopefully they branch out here in Texas after the Ft. Worth system. I know the lady at the local office mentioned Weatherford upgrading while back.

motorola870

Arlington, TX
said by ve52001:

Thanks for the heads up, hopefully they branch out here in Texas after the Ft. Worth system. I know the lady at the local office mentioned Weatherford upgrading while back.

some of the new Channels are already uplinked but I don't know how many are at this time only the ones that I have seen at the silicondust lineup server clear QAM:

Fort Worth:
83-736 KAZD HD
86-835 IFC HD
114-810 WE HD

Park Cities:
36-835 IFC HD

there may be more but they could be encrypted. This is a good thing that they have some of the new HD channels in current QAM slots as that means that they will have more room to play with when they do remove the 60 + analogs

motorola870

Arlington, TX

1 edit
said by motorola870:

said by ve52001:

some of the new Channels are already uplinked but I don't know how many are at this time only the ones that I have seen at the silicondust lineup server clear QAM:

Fort Worth:
83-736 KAZD HD
86-835 IFC HD
114-810 WE HD

Park Cities:
36-835 IFC HD

there may be more but they could be encrypted. This is a good thing that they have some of the new HD channels in current QAM slots as that means that they will have more room to play with when they do remove the 60 + analogs

looks like more channels have been uplinked

Fort Worth:
46-715 Spike TV HD
49-570 ESPN News HD? (maybe the QAM subchannel should be 49-705 as there is no channel 570 at all on the lineup now or after the changes)
50-720 HLN HD
104-717 Fox News HD
105-719 MSNBC HD
133-819 Nickelodeon HD
134-724 truTV HD

ve52001

Duncanville, TX
Hopefully after the areas that are listed are upgraded, they start working on others here like mine and Ellis county.

motorola870

Arlington, TX
said by ve52001:

Hopefully after the areas that are listed are upgraded, they start working on others here like mine and Ellis county.

well in a press release about the upgrades Charter said that they are also replacing hundreds of miles of old cable so maybe they are upgrading the older systems as well?

»www.star-telegram.com/2013/03/20···rth.html

ve52001

Duncanville, TX
When inquiring info about another cable card for my new TiVo they told me all of Charter in Texas will be going all digital this year.

Zappa2000

join:2001-12-16
Kalamazoo, MI
said by ve52001:

When inquiring info about another cable card for my new TiVo they told me all of Charter in Texas will be going all digital this year.

Curious, do they then give everyone a digital box for a extra $6 (or whatever it is) a month ?

ve52001

Duncanville, TX
If I understood the guy on the phone right, it is free for a year. Don't hold me to that, I was only asking for another cable card for my 2nd TiVo. At first he was talking about a cable box, before I told him, I only needed a cable card.

motorola870

Arlington, TX
said by ve52001:

If I understood the guy on the phone right, it is free for a year. Don't hold me to that, I was only asking for another cable card for my 2nd TiVo. At first he was talking about a cable box, before I told him, I only needed a cable card.

I believe per FCC rules it has to be 2 years free box and 5 years free box for people on medicaid who only have limited basic and I think it is 1 or 2 years free if you have expanded basic. Maybe Charter is giving digital customers boxes free for a year?

steveotx

join:2010-03-22
Fort Worth, TX
reply to motorola870
Well, I know some of you are excited, but this is going to be a mess for me. I have 4 TVs, 2 with my own Tivos. I watch the Tivos, the rest of the family only watches live tv, NOT through the tivo interface. Wondering how many more boxes, cards, I am going to need AND PAY MONTHLY FOR and how much functionality I am going to lose in the process. This may force me to go back to antenna only and just add Netflix or Huluplus for everything else.

motorola870

Arlington, TX
project has taken off!

Weatherford Texas
Parker Texas (rural county areas of Parker County)
Cleburne Texas

are now 100% digital only! Confirmed on the website for Weatherford Texas channel lineup.

the channel adds are scheduled for later this week by Friday in areas that have gone 100% digital today as they have to set up the QAM muxes and get all of the encoders situated.

RAZ Black

join:2001-10-04
Mansfield, TX
ya, I can confirm as of today.. most clear QAM channels are gone. too bad, so sad.

which is fine, most were Hispanic shows with no English subtitles...

steveotx

join:2010-03-22
Fort Worth, TX
Thanks Charter for making one of my Tivos obsolete.

jfoust

join:2001-11-30
Jefferson, WI
reply to motorola870
Just to clarify, does this mean that all clear QAM goes away? All the direct turning on newer TVs goes away, and you must have a Charter-branded tuner for every receiver? If so, what's the name of the technology used? Is it all encrypted QAM?

»www.myaccount.charter.com/custom···eid=3271

kherr
Premium
join:2000-09-04
Collinsville, IL
Aren't they supposed to give free boxes for the non-HD channels for a period of time (1yr. ~ 2yr.)??

motorola870

Arlington, TX
said by kherr:

Aren't they supposed to give free boxes for the non-HD channels for a period of time (1yr. ~ 2yr.)??

actually it is for the HD channels as well.

dnrhtx

join:2013-04-25
North Richland Hills, TX
reply to motorola870
Fort Worth Charter's website indicates that the following equipment is available.

"Upon request, Charter will provide you equipment with a DLNA-enabled Ethernet connector that can provide IP-enabled clear QAM devices access to basic service tier channels. You should check with the manufacturer of your device to confirm whether it supports the DLNA protocol."

After numerous requests, Charter has indicated that they cannot provide me this equipment. I am following up with the Greenwood Springs, Colorado office on this issue. It is my understanding that the FCC requires this equipment be provided for newly encrypted cable systems.

RAZ Black

join:2001-10-04
Mansfield, TX
so, how is that working out for you? because i'm sure the hee-haw re-run from them is like an episode of the actual show from 1962.. ZZZZZzzzzz.....
--
-= ok, who turned out the lights? =-

ve52001

Duncanville, TX
Is there anyone on here that has any info for areas that weren't listed on the original announcement about going all digital? I was told that all Texas is digital now, and I know that isn't true. My area hasn't been upgraded yet.

motorola870

Arlington, TX
said by ve52001:

Is there anyone on here that has any info for areas that weren't listed on the original announcement about going all digital? I was told that all Texas is digital now, and I know that isn't true. My area hasn't been upgraded yet.

I think it has something to do with Charter wanting to get the Cisco areas in Texas converted to all digital first and then work on the motorola areas. As all of the motorola areas in Texas except for Denton don't have VOD or digital phone.

Also Charter has almost upgraded the entire City of Waxahachie proper and something tells me about dozen or so amps are keeping that system at 450MHz as they have at least 1 450MHz trunk amps made by Scientific Atlanta on a run out by the lake in Waxahachie but they are slowly replacing the older amps putting in new power supplies to support digital phone. I am wondering if they are going to abandon the 450MHz/550MHz areas in Texas but my gut tells me no due to the fact that I have seen brand new 1GHz CCOR amplifiers in the 450MHz areas in Ellis county that have been installed in the last few months. There are actually a lot of the CCOR amps in the 450MHz areas in Ellis county as they have been replacing the bad amps with CCOR amps when the 450MHz amplifiers die out. Also lo and behold a lot of these areas that are 450MHz in Ellis county are fiber optic already as Charter a while back installed Harmonic branded nodes in areas that had 550MHz CCOR nodes a long time ago that have gone bad so the ellis county system could technically offer some kind of internet in all areas but they would not be able to offer say the 30/4 package.

ve52001

Duncanville, TX
Ok, that make sense to finish all Cisco areas first. I guess Highland Park area is Cisco also. I have a feeling that they have been slowly replacing amps, here in my area also.

motorola870

Arlington, TX

1 edit
said by ve52001:

Ok, that make sense to finish all Cisco areas first. I guess Highland Park area is Cisco also. I have a feeling that they have been slowly replacing amps, here in my area also.

I drove through duncanville yesterday on my way home from ellis county and it looks like they have not been replacing the amplifiers or are replacing the modules inside of them instead replacing the entire housing. I know there are a few CCOR amps in the system over there in Duncanville near Duncanville High School on Cedar Ridge Dr. either the one I saw is a node or it is a amp.

Yes Highland Park is a Cisco area and it seems is 750MHz as their highest channel is 117 (753MHz) oh and they have VOD there. I know that a few years ago Charter did some changes and added a lot of channels over there in Highland Park and VOD as well. In the process they moved several analogs to digital at the time and then this year they moved a few more over to digital only to allow for digital simulcasting on the system channels such as QVC and HSN were moved to digital only along with the Travel Channel. Oh and Highland Park has Magnavox amplifiers as well too. I don't know what charters plans are but I am thinking maybe they will keep a 750MHz mix with 860MHz systems as well as Fort Worth has some weird traps as they go up into the 80s so channels in the 561MHz to 615MHz range are trapped out on that system so they likely will stay using the full 860MHz while the 750MHz areas will have fewer open QAMs than Fort Worth as Fort Worth will be able to use about 19 more QAM slots than the 750MHz areas.

Oh and I talked to a Charter rep not too long as they called my house asking me to sign up even though I am in a TWC area so I asked them to see what they could find out about the Ellis county system and they found out that they have changed their hours to stay open until 6pm so the guy said that they are making progress on getting ready for the all digital due staying open later.

I know that the system in Waxahachie has a few older amps that is mainly on the lines on the outskirts of town or at the edge of town so they are still upgrading the system as they have added a lot of those housings that say "Alpha" on them that house the backup power supplies.

ve52001

Duncanville, TX
I'm wondering the CCOR amps you seen were part of Time Warner's system. I know Time Warner services the houses on the northern part of Camp Wisdom road. The cutoff from Charter to Time Warner is west of Cedar Ridge and north of Camp Wisdom, I believe. North of Camp Wisdom past Cedar Ridge is Dallas city limits. Then Charter's system goes out towards Clark Road and east of Clark is all Charter.

motorola870

Arlington, TX
said by ve52001:

I'm wondering the CCOR amps you seen were part of Time Warner's system. I know Time Warner services the houses on the northern part of Camp Wisdom road. The cutoff from Charter to Time Warner is west of Cedar Ridge and north of Camp Wisdom, I believe. North of Camp Wisdom past Cedar Ridge is Dallas city limits. Then Charter's system goes out towards Clark Road and east of Clark is all Charter.

no what I saw was in the Charter area as it was on the east side of Duncanville High School so yeah that is Duncanville city limits. TWC uses Motorola gear on the lines except they have a few CCOR Housings here and there in the Dallas City limits from when the "A" cable was 550MHz but no I was on Cedar Ridge right across from Duncanvile High when I saw the CCOR amp and on the same line there are Magnavox amps as well.

ve52001

Duncanville, TX
Oh ok, yep that is Charter's then. Hopefully they get the ball rolling in Motorola areas then soon. The last schedule date 6-11 is for the Highland Park area. The lady I talked to not long ago did tell me they were ahead of schedule, but with Highland Park system being 750 MHz, maybe it might take a lil bit longer to upgrade.

salvag

@sbcglobal.net
Anyone know when the Berry St/TCU area is going to be upgraded? My tivo is showing all the new HD channels, but none of them are coming in.

heavenly
Premium
join:2006-03-06
Fort Worth, TX
I don't know it this will hold true in your case but we got the upgrade about a month after they showed up on the Tivo.

heavenly
Premium
join:2006-03-06
Fort Worth, TX
reply to salvag
said by salvag :

Anyone know when the Berry St/TCU area is going to be upgraded? My tivo is showing all the new HD channels, but none of them are coming in.

How long has this been going on? Do you have any regular charter boxes in the house?

motorola870

Arlington, TX
reply to ve52001
said by ve52001:

Oh ok, yep that is Charter's then. Hopefully they get the ball rolling in Motorola areas then soon. The last schedule date 6-11 is for the Highland Park area. The lady I talked to not long ago did tell me they were ahead of schedule, but with Highland Park system being 750 MHz, maybe it might take a lil bit longer to upgrade.

well them being 750MHz is not going to delay the upgrade in Highland park they will have room to add the channels.