how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Gary A

join:2008-03-02
Odessa, FL

Media Manager Redux

It has been several years since I first tried the VZ Media Manager. The concept sounded great. Yesterday, I installed the latest version on another PC and tried it again. The video quality is as bad now as it was 3 years ago, trying to play mp4 videos on my HDTV.

The videos look great when played right on the PC with WMP or other video players.

So my question is this - as I uninstall VZ Media Manager - not being as tech savy as I once was, what is the best (video & sound quality) method of playing videos on my PC to my HDTV (Sony KDL-37XBR6)?

Thanks for your suggestions.

DAVIDGR

join:2005-03-08
Armonk, NY
Apple TV can play your audio, video and photos. Works even on Windows PCs

nfotiu

join:2009-01-25
reply to Gary A
If you have a ps3, the ps3 media server works well.

OwlSaver
OwlSaver
Premium
join:2005-01-30
Berwyn, PA
reply to Gary A
Depends where your PC and TV are. If they are next to each other, then an HDMI cable would be the simplest route. If the PC only has DVI/RGB then you can use one of those cables for video and you will need a different cable for sound.

If they are not near each other, you will need a network connection to each of them and a media player near or on the TV. I prefer wired network connections. If you use wireless, it is shared bandwidth. I use two XBOX 360s to distribute video to two TVs from a single PC. There are other options.

Gary A

Odessa, FL
The TV is in a separate room from the WinXP desktop PC (and Actiontec router). I too would prefer not to use wireless so that would mean some sort of cabling or locating a PC with the TV. There is no game console.

Still it sounds like a hardware solution is required. $$$$$

Originally, VZ Media Manager "sounded" like such a great solution since it required no additional hardware and ran over the existing house coax. Just install free software. But the implementation was/is horrible.

UnnDunn
Premium
join:2005-12-21
Brooklyn, NY
said by Gary A:

The TV is in a separate room from the WinXP desktop PC (and Actiontec router). I too would prefer not to use wireless so that would mean some sort of cabling or locating a PC with the TV. There is no game console.

Still it sounds like a hardware solution is required. $$$$$

Originally, VZ Media Manager "sounded" like such a great solution since it required no additional hardware and ran over the existing house coax. Just install free software. But the implementation was/is horrible.

Verizon has said that they are exploring adding proper DLNA support to their STBs, removing the need to use Media Manager.

But that was two years ago. No idea how long it will take for this to actually come to fruition, or even if they are still actively developing it.

Gary A

Odessa, FL
reply to OwlSaver
said by OwlSaver:

If you use wireless, it is shared bandwidth. I use two XBOX 360s to distribute video to two TVs from a single PC. There are other options.

Thinking about it, I don't use wireless much, so shared bandwidth probably wouldn't be a problem.

PJL

join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Gary A
said by Gary A:

It has been several years since I first tried the VZ Media Manager. The concept sounded great. Yesterday, I installed the latest version on another PC and tried it again. The video quality is as bad now as it was 3 years ago, trying to play mp4 videos on my HDTV.

The videos look great when played right on the PC with WMP or other video players.

So my question is this - as I uninstall VZ Media Manager - not being as tech savy as I once was, what is the best (video & sound quality) method of playing videos on my PC to my HDTV (Sony KDL-37XBR6)?

Thanks for your suggestions.

I use two methods. I have an HDMI connection to the STB (it's about 40 feet of cabling -- got a great deal for the HDMI cable at monoprice.com). I also stream using Windows Media Player (the one from Microsoft) acting as a DNLA server, and a Sony Blu-ray player that acts as a DLNA client.

But with your Windows XP machine, either solution is likely problematic. The XP OS was released on October 25, 2001.

AVITWeb

join:2002-01-11
Trenton, NJ
reply to Gary A
I haven't tried it since Christmas, and back then the audio was horribly choppy. It ran but there was an underlying clicking every second or so while playing. Does anyone know if this has been fixed?