All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

ITALIAN926
join:2003-08-16

1 recommendation

ITALIAN926 to celeritypc

to celeritypc

Re: Can she pay $222,000? And what if she can't?

Yea, hope the musical enjoyment was worth it. DOWNLOAD LEGALLY

DaSneaky1D
what's up
MVM
join:2001-03-29
The Lou

DaSneaky1D

MVM

This was in 2005.... the legal music download scene wasn't really well established, nor was the concept of "I really don't own the music I purchased on this CD" a generally accepted concept.

Not to drag this out, but the music industry has successfully changed public thought to believe it's better to lease monthly access to a wealth of music, store music files purchased online and have legal access to them as long as you remain a customer of "said" service (unless you knowingly download to back them up).

Boy, how times have changed...

ITALIAN926

ITALIAN926

Napster was shut down in 2001, and legal means of downloading like Itunes were released and widespread shortly after.

Wow, Im getting all these songs for free !!

Now was her opinion " The best things in life are free" , "if its Free it for Me", or was it " if its too good to be true, it probably is"

1700 downloaded songs illegally, give me a break
axus
join:2001-06-18
Washington, DC

1 recommendation

axus to ITALIAN926

to ITALIAN926
You're the kind of person who tells Rosa Parks "Hope sitting in the front seat was worth it!" after she goes to jail.

ITALIAN926

1 recommendation

ITALIAN926

Yea well, Rosa Parks PAID HER FARE on that bus, this woman did not pay her FARE.

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList to ITALIAN926

Premium Member

to ITALIAN926
1700 songs should never equal $222k

Xioden
Premium Member
join:2008-06-10
Monticello, NY

Xioden to ITALIAN926

Premium Member

to ITALIAN926
Paid or not she broke the law all the same. I mean just think, that white person Rosa Parks didn't give her seat up for could have fallen on the way to the back of the bus causing long term injury and a loss of their way of life! I mean who cares how likely any of that is to happen, it's too hard to prove damages anyway, so $222,000 judgement in favor of the plaintiff against Rosa Parks too because, well... because!

toby
Troy Mcclure
join:2001-11-13
Seattle, WA

toby to ITALIAN926

to ITALIAN926
said by ITALIAN926:

Yea well, Rosa Parks PAID HER FARE on that bus, this woman did not pay her FARE.

Have you ever watched tv clips on Youtube?

Most of those are illegal.

ITALIAN926

ITALIAN926

Youtube removes any copyrighted material almost instantly when reported. Is there a legal difference between STREAMING, and DOWNLOADING? I would assume that streaming isnt categorized as copying, downloading/saving them certainly is.
This woman downloaded 1200 mp3's, and probably burned dozens of CDs
axus
join:2001-06-18
Washington, DC

axus to ITALIAN926

to ITALIAN926
Even worse, she allowed others to ride the bus FOR FREE, thus depriving the good Montgomery County bus service of paying fares, which may or may not have added up to $222,000 worth of damages.

PapaMidnight
join:2009-01-13
Baltimore, MD

1 recommendation

PapaMidnight to ITALIAN926

to ITALIAN926
said by ITALIAN926:

Youtube removes any copyrighted material almost instantly when reported. Is there a legal difference between STREAMING, and DOWNLOADING? I would assume that streaming isnt categorized as copying, downloading/saving them certainly is.

By streaming, you technically are downloading.
Also, she is being punished for 24 songs.
Let us also be clear on this: She is not being explicitly punished for downloading. She is being punished for implicitly "making available" 24 songs for an unidentifiable number of persons.

toby
Troy Mcclure
join:2001-11-13
Seattle, WA

toby to ITALIAN926

to ITALIAN926
said by ITALIAN926:

Streaming = downloading. How can it not be?

Youtube removes some material, not all.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to ArrayList

Premium Member

to ArrayList
it should equal $1700 because a song is only worth that if based off iTunes.
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco to toby

Premium Member

to toby
Technically they are the same, legally they are not.

DaSneaky1D
what's up
MVM
join:2001-03-29
The Lou

DaSneaky1D to ITALIAN926

MVM

to ITALIAN926
iTunes may have been available in 2001, but it wasn't until DRM free mp3 files were sold that things started to change. This is less about the woman in question, as it is the mindset change for everyone...

"At the 2009 Macworld Conference & Expo, it was announced that the iTunes Music Store would be DRM-free, with all songs DRM-free by April 2009."
dra6o0n
join:2011-08-15
Mississauga, ON

dra6o0n to toby

to toby
Technically isn't.
Streaming is a whole different segment than downloading.

The way you look at it, Streaming is a session, which you download, and upload data.

Youtube is a site that streams video to you, you don't literally download something to save and use it, it's temporary data that is used and erased after the user browse elsewhere.
40757180 (banned)
join:2009-11-01

40757180 (banned) to ITALIAN926

to ITALIAN926
said by ITALIAN926:

Yea, hope the musical enjoyment was worth it. DOWNLOAD LEGALLY

Welcome to the 21th century. Why do that when people can just download from secure places and nothing happens to them.

Transmaster
Don't Blame Me I Voted For Bill and Opus
join:2001-06-20
Cheyenne, WY

Transmaster to ITALIAN926

to ITALIAN926
said by ITALIAN926:

Napster was shut down in 2001, and legal means of downloading like Itunes were released and widespread shortly after. Wow, Im getting all these songs for free !! Now was her opinion " The best things in life are free" , "if its Free it for Me", or was it " if its too good to be true, it probably is" 1700 downloaded songs illegally, give me a break

This is all find and dandy and I do use iTunes and Amazon but what about a recording that has not been available for 50 or 60 years and because of the ridiculous copyright laws is still has a maintained copyright, and will have one for at least another 50 or 60 years and the copyright holder has no intention of ever publishing it but since is costs little or nothing to maintain can sit on it forever, and is not available anywhere to purchase not even on a place such as Discogs. This is the problem I have with this whole issue I always purchase what I listen to but what about something that is not available for purchase anywhere. I have been looking for a show put on by Kay Kyser at Ft Lewis, Washington in 1941 He was performing for the 115th Cavalry, Wyoming Army National Guard. It was recorded and I have never been able to find it. If I run into it on a bit-torrent site I will download it period, I am not holding my breath. They way I see it the copyright laws on music need to be reformed. I believe that a copyright holder should be obligated to publish what they hold in a meaningful release every so many years and if they fail do so the copyright is canceled and the rights are transferred to the National Archives. Where a person on demand can purchase this music. I resent a speculator sitting on a copyright who's "studio" is nothing more then a post office box.

tc1uscg
join:2005-03-09
Gulfport, MS

tc1uscg to dra6o0n

to dra6o0n
said by dra6o0n:

Technically isn't.
Streaming is a whole different segment than downloading.

The way you look at it, Streaming is a session, which you download, and upload data.

Youtube is a site that streams video to you, you don't literally download something to save and use it, it's temporary data that is used and erased after the user browse elsewhere.

However, streaming may be one thing, capturing that stream is another animal. What about all these apps that "allow" you to download videos of youtube? Or the apps that "rips" the music from the youtube video? We can also visit the apps that capture songs being streamed on the internet and stores them (with tags) on your PC. As long as Youtube plants "temp" files on your PC, "technically", your keeping part of said file on your PC till you clean up. Just sayin