uniqs
Mango
Use DMZ and you get a kick in the dick.
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net

Mango

Premium Member

Do cell carriers charge for long distance texts?

I've heard stories about cell carriers charging ridiculous fees for long distance texting, but was only able to find references for American carriers. Do Canadian carriers charge the same for local and Canada/US texts? If not, which carriers charge more?

Thanks,
Mango

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

1 recommendation

Gone

Premium Member

There is no "long distance" text messages. It is based on destination country. If you send a text to the US or somewhere overseas it'll cost more than a Canadian text, regardless of where in whatever country you're sending it.

Oh how I long for the days when texting was texting and it didn't matter where it went.

Kardinal
Dei Gratina Regina
Mod
join:2001-02-04
N of 49th

1 recommendation

Kardinal

Mod

said by Gone:

Oh how I long for the days when texting was texting and it didn't matter where it went.

And the days when carriers had "roaming numbers" where you would call a local number, get a dial tone, and then dial the wireless number from another city but was visiting in town and neither of you got a long distance charge for the call.
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

1 recommendation

bt to Mango

to Mango
I don't know of any Canadian carriers that charge differently between local and Canada-wide texts.

I believe both Rogers and Bell treat the basic unlimited texting as Canada-Only, but might include the US or overseas on specific plans. Telus includes the US in all their texting plans. Wind includes US in all plans, and worldwide at the top end. Mobilicity includes US at the bottom end, worldwide on the rest. Not sure about the rest.
zod5000
join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC

1 recommendation

zod5000 to Mango

to Mango
I don't there's a one rule fits all. It depends whats included with your plan.

My plan with virgin mobile includes unlimited international texting (not that I ever use it) but I've seen other plans that don't.
peterboro (banned)
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

1 recommendation

peterboro (banned) to Kardinal

to Kardinal
Click for full size
said by Kardinal:

And the days when carriers had "roaming numbers" where you would call a local number, get a dial tone, and then dial the wireless number from another city but was visiting in town and neither of you got a long distance charge for the call.

And the days of Captain Crunch when you could make calls from any payphone.

Kardinal
Dei Gratina Regina
Mod
join:2001-02-04
N of 49th

Kardinal

Mod

said by peterboro:

Great pic with the 1978 Chevrolet Nova peeking in the corner!

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD to peterboro

Premium Member

to peterboro
said by peterboro:

said by Kardinal:

phreak out 2600

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to Kardinal

Premium Member

to Kardinal
said by Kardinal:

One of the carriers had them up until recently, I just can't remember if it was Rogers or Bell.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

1 recommendation

Guspaz to Mango

MVM

to Mango
Many carriers in Canada don't care where you text to on most plans.

Example: All of Fido's postpaid plans (which start at $25/mth) include unlimited international text, but their prepaid plans (which also start at $25/mth) only include unlimited Canadian text.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to AVD

Premium Member

to AVD
said by AVD:

said by peterboro:

said by Kardinal:

phreak out 2600

I remember that

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

1 recommendation

Gone to Guspaz

Premium Member

to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

Many carriers in Canada don't care where you text to on most plans.

Yes, they do. The discount carriers are the exception to the rule. On Bell and Rogers - two of the three largest - you need to pay more for texting outside Canada.

In these days of smartphones with email, facebook chat, whatsapp and whatever else, it's a wonder anyone sends texts anymore anyway.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav to Mango

Premium Member

to Mango
I believe you need to look at
a. texts to out of country (sending)
b. texts from out of country (receiving)

It appears that for regular plans -a- costs extra but in all plans -b- does not??

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

1 recommendation

Gone

Premium Member

In Canada I haven't seen them charge extra for B, but I know American carriers will charge you more just to receive them.
graniterock
Premium Member
join:2003-03-14
London, ON

graniterock to Mango

Premium Member

to Mango
My Christmas miracle wind plan comes with world wide SMS. Not that I actually text internationally.
peterboro (banned)
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned) to Gone

to Gone
said by Gone:

it's a wonder anyone sends texts anymore anyway.

I hope to get up to speed on texting this year and try it.

As to plans, yes most I have shopped charge more for outside Canada or the US not that I care.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to Gone

MVM

to Gone
said by Gone:

Yes, they do. The discount carriers are the exception to the rule. On Bell and Rogers - two of the three largest - you need to pay more for texting outside Canada.

Well, then, people should switch to the discount brands Considering the prices they charge (for Fido) are similar to Rogers, they're not really "discount" carriers anymore. The highest all-in-one plan that Fido has is $80/mth, the cheapest is $25/mth, hardly discount.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

$25/month compared to a base Rogers plans is discount.

And no, I will not switch to Fido anytime soon. I will stay with the main Rogers brand where they will bend over backwards for me whenever I ask them for something and probably charge me less for more than Fido would anyway.
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

1 recommendation

yyzlhr to Mango

to Mango
Here's a breakdown of how canadian carriers rate SMS.

Rogers:
-SMS to US: Charges apply if no add-on is present
-SMS to numbers outside Canada and the US: Charges apply if no add-on is present
*Exceptions apply for certain retention plans

Bell:
-SMS to US: Rated as domestic SMS
-SMS to numbers outside of Canada and the US: Charges apply if no add-on is present

Telus:
-SMS to US: Currently same policy as Bell, but will match Rogers policy as of May 1st
-SMS to numbers outside of Canada and the US: Charges apply if no add-on is present

Fido:
-Varies depending on plan

Virgin:
-Same as Bell

Koodo:

Wind:

Mobilicity
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

1 recommendation

MaynardKrebs to Mango

Premium Member

to Mango
said by Mango:

I've heard stories about cell carriers charging ridiculous fees for long distance texting, but was only able to find references for American carriers. Do Canadian carriers charge the same for local and Canada/US texts? If not, which carriers charge more?

My Wind plan (2010 HMP) has unlimited worldwide texting from Canada (on-network) included in the $40/month cost. MMS from Canada (on-network) is also included for Canada/US.