not in ohio

2 edits

1 recommendation

dave to koitsu

Premium Member

to koitsu

Re: PC Sleep Mode Question

said by koitsu:

If the PC is asleep at that time, these tasks won't get run.

This is not necessarily true; scheduled tasks can wake up the machine. Mine wake up in the wee hours to do backups (via Home Server: task is scheduled on client) and to run Windows Update.

I took no particular action to make this happen: it's just normal. It seems like it would be pretty silly to write a scheduled task that was intended to run when no-one has been at the machine for a couple of hours, and then have it *not* do a wakeup. Self-defeating design.

I'm pretty sure that Security Essentials also wakes the machine: the PC *will* be asleep by the time MSE needs to run, and MSE *does* run, though I suppose there is a sliver of a chance that the PC just happens to be awake after doing something else.

EDITED: for every scheduled task, the 'conditions' tab in Task Scheduler has a checkbox for 'wake the computer to run this task'. I'm not at home right now so can't check on specific tasks.

I think that after being woken up, the normal rules for idling apply.

koitsu
MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
Humax BGW320-500

koitsu

MVM

said by dave:

said by koitsu:

If the PC is asleep at that time, these tasks won't get run.

EDITED: for every scheduled task, the 'conditions' tab in Task Scheduler has a checkbox for 'wake the computer to run this task'. I'm not at home right now so can't check on specific tasks.

I think that after being woken up, the normal rules for idling apply.

Thank you -- this is (new) information to me, and it proves my understanding of the existing (or historic?) model is either outdated or wrong. I'm quite happy to be wrong in this case.