uniqs
share rss forum feed
« Just FYIStart.ca »
page: 1 · 2 · next

mikee

join:2012-12-21
Gloucester, ON

Rogers offered me

So a rogers guy came to the door today and asked if i was on teksavvy, i told him yes. he asked me what speed am i on and how much bandwidth i use per month.

I told him that i'm on 28/1 and I use about 150gb per month he then offered me 35 down 3 up with 200gb bandwidth for 45$/month which is good for the next 8 years with no contract which sounds really good to me since I am not a heavy bandwidth user. Even when teksavvy goes aggregated it will be 49.95$/month for the 35/3 this could save 5$/month.

He also told me that the modem and router are in one device which is pretty nice, although I do prefer to use my own router. But it's not that important. I think the modem was called a citron? something like that I can't remember the exact name of it so yea...

What are your thoughts on this offer?

corster
Premium
join:2002-02-23
Gatineau, QC

My thoughts are that you have a sleazy door to door salesperson who will say anything to close a sale.

No way in hell Rogers would guarentee anything for 8 years.

mikee

Gloucester, ON
reply to mikee

Well I could write this all up and ask him to sign a paper to make it official that they can't change anything on it?

stormy13

join:2003-10-28
Etobicoke, ON
reply to mikee

74 page thread about it here,

»forums.redflagdeals.com/rogers-e···1290815/

looking at the last couple of pages, it looks like it is over.
--
MS MVP Windows Expert-Consumer 2010-2012

Expand your moderator at work

mikee

Gloucester, ON
reply to mikee

Re: Rogers offered me

Hmm well he literally just offered me this 25-30minutes ago. I don't see why he would offer me this if it was already over.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia

said by mikee:

Hmm well he literally just offered me this 25-30minutes ago. I don't see why he would offer me this if it was already over.

Because they fucken lie, and do anything to make a sale.

CFoo

join:2008-03-19
Nepean, ON
reply to mikee

Because there is a sucker born every minute

The modem he was talking about is the Hitron and I believe they have issues so it would be better to put it in bridge mode and use your own router.

BrianON

join:2011-09-30
Ottawa, ON
reply to mikee

The deal is likely legitimate. The main problem I see is it meets your current needs without providing any options if those needs change. There is no $31/month 6mbps/256kpbs 300GB package to drop down to if money becomes tight for example.

b_p_smith

join:2002-02-13
Merrickville, ON
reply to mikee

Plus he's almost certainly not a Rogers employee. To my knowledge they don't employ door-to-door salespeople. So probably some "guy" from some private company who may or may not be a Rogers reseller. Either way, even if you got a contract signed, I'll bet it won't be with Rogers, and not binding to them.

Brad.
--
Xplornet WiMAX -} Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH running DD-WRT -} about 13 machines running everything you can think of.

koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW

join:2005-01-08
East York, ON
reply to mikee

He's only a contracted employee... He could sign anything but it won't be worth anything unless it comes from the Rogers Corp.

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:4
reply to mikee

It is a legitimate offer, but if you don't trust Rogers to honour it then don't sign up.

Despite what people have been saying of RFD, the offer is not expired. They've simply restricted the promotion so that only certain departments can offer it. Door to door, is one of them that can still offer this promotion.

yyzlhr

Scarborough, ON
reply to koreyb

said by koreyb:

He's only a contracted employee... He could sign anything but it won't be worth anything unless it comes from the Rogers Corp.

When you go to a wirelesswave and sign up for a plan, the contract is enforceable despite the fact that you're not dealing with an official carrier employee...

mikee

Gloucester, ON
reply to mikee

Personally I've never been with Rogers, so I have nothing against them. If I don't need to pay an installation fee I might go with it I'm pretty sure it would be 39$+tax which comes to 45$ which is pretty good.

He didn't know what he was talking about when I said I owned my own modem so it wouldn't be a problem he insisted I use his modem. Anyways I might take his offer up. Right now I pay 46.95+tax (53.05/month) I could save about 8$/month which is pretty sweet imo.

yyzlhr

Scarborough, ON

Unless you bought your modem from Rogers you cannot use it with Rogers.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to mikee

The deal is good for 8 years ... but you can bet your bottom dollar that they'll put the price up annually. All they're guaranteeing is that they won't steal your 35/3/200 package ... i.e. they'll grandfather it for 8 years even if the deal goes away.

mikee

Gloucester, ON

With cloud technology, and 4K movies coming to NetFlix 200gb cap will not be enough in the next 2-3 years. I'm probably not going to take this offer now that I think about it. Some big changes will have to change in canada's internet stage when 4k starts getting used...

A friend of mine from Japan just got 200mbps down, 100mbps up package for 9.95$ Canadian a month with no cap, i am so jealous...

Nitra

join:2011-09-15
Montreal

Rogers is like herpes, you're screwed, and not in a good way.

yyzlhr

Scarborough, ON
reply to sbrook

said by sbrook:

The deal is good for 8 years ... but you can bet your bottom dollar that they'll put the price up annually. All they're guaranteeing is that they won't steal your 35/3/200 package ... i.e. they'll grandfather it for 8 years even if the deal goes away.

This particular promo is price protected.

elitefx

join:2011-02-14
London, ON
kudos:2
reply to mikee

said by mikee:

Some big changes will have to change in canada's internet stage when 4k starts getting used...

Absolutely. Rogers and Bell will increase their monthly overage max charge to $1000.00 and there will be loads of people still thinking they're getting a Great Deal.........Unlimited tiers will be a blip in the ISP history books and TPIA will be running for cover.

mikee

Gloucester, ON

Who needs to rent an apartment/house when you can get unlimited bandwidth from Rogers/Bell

bjlockie

join:2007-12-16
Ottawa, DSL
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to mikee

said by mikee:

I think the modem was called a citron? something like that I can't remember the exact name of it so yea...

What does the French word citron mean in English?

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
kudos:20
reply to mikee

said by mikee:

I told him that i'm on 28/1 and I use about 150gb per month he then offered me ....

The Rogers deal is reasonable enough, to be sure. Don't forget though, it is only due to Rogers obstructionism that you can't have those speeds on Teksavvy today. Also, Teksavvy will be matching those speeds for most of Ontario within the next 6 months.
--
electronicsguru.ca

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to elitefx

yyzlhr ... if that's the case, then they'll do something to make it very uncomfortable to stay on those promo plans ... There've been lots of promos in the past that the incumbents find ways to increase the prices ... like adding "fees" ... like "regulatory recovery fee". Kinda like airplane fees ... airport reconstruction fee ... nav canada fee ... fuel surcharge ... security fee etc. etc. Or car rental "... premium location fee ... road tax recovery fee ... terminal bus fee ..."

yyzlhr

Scarborough, ON

said by sbrook:

yyzlhr ... if that's the case, then they'll do something to make it very uncomfortable to stay on those promo plans ... There've been lots of promos in the past that the incumbents find ways to increase the prices ... like adding "fees" ... like "regulatory recovery fee". Kinda like airplane fees ... airport reconstruction fee ... nav canada fee ... fuel surcharge ... security fee etc. etc. Or car rental "... premium location fee ... road tax recovery fee ... terminal bus fee ..."

Rogers has not added any new monthly fees to their internet service for the last 5-10 years. They have certainly increased their monthly service fees, but there have been no additional fees tacked on, so I'm not sure where you came up with that assumption.

Lastly, what would be the advantage of claiming that your promo is price protected and then jack up the costs when the customer is not in a commitment. They'll just leave.

Eug

join:2007-04-14
Canada
reply to yyzlhr

said by yyzlhr:

said by koreyb:

When you go to a wirelesswave and sign up for a plan, the contract is enforceable despite the fact that you're not dealing with an official carrier employee...

The contract you get is not from WirelessWave. It's from the carrier.
--
Everything Apple

TSI Andre
Got TekSavvy?
Premium,VIP
join:2008-06-03
Chatham, ON
kudos:24
reply to mikee

:/

We didn't have to go to your door to offer you a great price/service.

Ultimately, if its going to save you $5 a month and that is really important to you then do it, but if you want a deal that will last more than 8 months and you don't have to switch providers and get great customer service, stick it out

And with ours, you will have 150GB more in case you decided to get crazy with bandwidth

»[Cable] NEW RATES - Rogers
--
TSI Andre
Director of Service Delivery

TekSavvy Website | TekSavvy Blog

yyzlhr

Scarborough, ON
reply to Eug

said by Eug:

said by yyzlhr:

said by koreyb:

The contract you get is not from WirelessWave. It's from the carrier.

Rogers and other providers have manual contracts that are used during system outages and for instances where the representative does not have access to a computer to process the order. These contracts are accessible by door to door reps and are enforceable as they come from the provider itself.

mikee

Gloucester, ON

1 edit
reply to TSI Andre

I went with TekSavvy in the beginning because of the price and feedback I saw from other peoples post. Oh, and tired of my dad always lagging me so I decided to get my own internet. That was my main purpose.

BTW the deal is for 8 years, not 8 months. My dad was with rogers in 2003 to 2007 than switched to CyberSurf(3web) he told me that rogers always tried to take any money from him when they can so I'm choosing to stick it out and wait for 35/3 when its available in my area.

The sales man did not know what he was talking about at all when it came to modems and routers, lol. I am 21 years old and know more than the sales man XD... I'm pretty sure rogers just wrote him a script and he has to tell it to everyone in my neighborhood who isn't on Rogers.

EDIT-

Btw my dad would have joined TekSavvy by now, since the internet is more stable than distributel's. Every time someone hangs up the phone the internet would restart which is extremely annoying, or while someones talking on the phone the internet lags like crazy.

The only reason he hasn't left distributel is because if he does he will lose all his emails and friends who know that email won't be able to contact him anymore.

It's not possible to transfer from 1 ISP to another and keep the email is it?

cybersaga

join:2011-12-19
Welland, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

said by mikee:

It's not possible to transfer from 1 ISP to another and keep the email is it?

That's why I've never used an email address from an ISP.

Most ISPs will leave your email account active for a while after you switch. He could just set it up to forward all email to the account he does actually use. He could even setup that forwarding now (before switching ISPs) and begin the process of notifying everyone of his email address change and still get emails from the old one.