Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to d4m1r

MVM

to d4m1r

Re: PoE vs Bridge vs ??

Yeah, the only way to know is to actually test it. There is a ton of variation in this. Different models from different brands perform very differently, and the quality of the wiring, the location in the house, all of this can have a big impact.

Even if you don't get 45 megs, you probably don't need full speed for streaming. I mean, Netflix doesn't go over about 8 meg for the total stream with overhead for Super HD.

d4m1r
join:2011-08-25

d4m1r

said by Guspaz:

Yeah, the only way to know is to actually test it. There is a ton of variation in this. Different models from different brands perform very differently, and the quality of the wiring, the location in the house, all of this can have a big impact.

Even if you don't get 45 megs, you probably don't need full speed for streaming. I mean, Netflix doesn't go over about 8 meg for the total stream with overhead for Super HD.

Will do and post back. I'm not even using Super HD, just a straight 1080p stream which means I need ~3.5MB/s consistent which is only 28mbps. If the Asus 200mbps powerline adapters pull at least that, I'll be happy

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to Guspaz

Premium Member

to Guspaz
Click for full size
said by Guspaz:

Most adapters include a utility that shows actual sync rate. This is what I see for my 500Mbit Zyxel adapters. The Ethernet interface on them is Gigabit so I can actually pull through more than 100Mbit/s. Some are only 100, which limits things. Either way, the Valet M10 we have use as a supplementary AP in the warehouse that's connected to the bridge only has a 100Mbit Ethernet port anyway. The adapters serve their purpose and they serve them rather well.

Anything powerline is going to be more than enough for most Internet connections. It only starts to potentially become an issue when you're talking about moving a lot of data across the network.