Search similar:

uniqs
jfoust
join:2001-11-30
Jefferson, WI

1 edit

jfoust

[CATV] WI : February's move of channels from analog to digital

I'd like to know the details of Charter's recent move of a number of analog channels to digital. In particular, I'm trying to answer a client's questions about the Badger sports BTN and BTN HD channels. Which channels moved, where'd they move to, and are they unencrypted QAM that can be tuned on newer TVs, or do they require a Charter tuner of some kind?

I think this also affected the Golf Channel, Travel Channel, one of the C-SPANs, VH-1, and Oxygen.
MadCity
Premium Member
join:2008-10-17
Middleton, WI

MadCity

Premium Member

Re: [CATV] WI : February's move of channels from analog to digit

From the Charter cable bill before the switch:

The following 16 channels will be removed from the analog lineup and will be digital-only, effective "on or after January 29, 2013." You will have to have a digital cable box to receive these channels. Contact Charter at 877-617-0294 for more information or to order a digital cable box.

Those channels are:
• QVC (4)
• CSPAN (12)
• Charter Media (18)
• HSN (20)
• Golf (22)
• SPEED (27)
• NBC Sports (28)
• Oxygen (35)
• CMT (37)
• Travel (42)
• Style (43)
• HLN (61)
• CNBC (63)
• Celebrity Shopping Network (66)
• VH1 (68)
• BTN (73)
jfoust
join:2001-11-30
Jefferson, WI

jfoust

I think I can answer my own question. I found the letter that Charter WI sent in late December. It says :
Dear Charter Customer, Effective on or after January 30, 2013, Charter will offer the following channels exclusively in a digital format. This change will require digital equipment in order to view these channels on all of your television sets.

QVC 4
WHA-PBS 11
CSPAN 15
WPXE-ION 16
Charter Media 20
Home Shopping Network 21
WVCY- IND 24
NBC Sports Network 31
CMT 32
Spike TV 34
VH-1 39
Style 41
Travel Channel 46
BTN 50
E! 58
Bravo - East 63
HLN 65
CNBC 67
MSNBC 68

To help you with this transition, we are providing you 2 digital receivers or 2 HD receivers or 2 DVR boxes at no cost for 24 months.*
So these all moved to unencrypted QAM, so no proprietary tuner is required. (Where they moved is another question. Time to re-tune your sets.)

I note that the BTN web site and Charter's own channel line-up web site still show BTN at 50 and 664.
MrFixit1
join:1999-11-26
Madison, WI

MrFixit1

I think you will find that they are encrypted , hence the need for the Charter owned boxes .
At least that is what happened in Madison .