uniqs

NetDog
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Hollywood, FL

1 recommendation

NetDog

Premium Member

[IPv6] IPv6 Routers Tested with User Guides..

Everyone has been waiting for »mydeviceinfo.comcast.net ··· egateway to be updated. So we added some more routers with User Guides. Please take a look and reply with comments..

»www.comcast6.net will be updated here shortly (within the next week or so) with more information as well.
voiptalk
join:2010-04-10
Gainesville, VA
MikroTik RB750G
Cisco DPC3941

1 recommendation

voiptalk

For the DIR-655. I would suggest you note the most recent firmware (2.10). And make special mention of making sure "IPv6 Simple Security" is enabled on the IPv6 firewall tab. If not enabled, that puppy leaves access to the LAN wide open.

Not sure if that applies to all the D-Link models listed.

graysonf
MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

1 recommendation

graysonf

MVM

By definition, when you have a public IP address on a LAN machine, it is exposed to the internet.

There is nothing unique about that router in that regard.

AnonMan
@comcast.net

AnonMan to NetDog

Anon

to NetDog
Why are some said to set to Auto Detect, others Auto Config etc..

What is ideally the best one to use? DCHPv6 or Auto Config? I know Auto Detect generally isn't as anything works best if you know what it should be

YukonHawk
join:2001-01-07
Patterson, NY

2 edits

1 recommendation

YukonHawk to NetDog

to NetDog
Thanks Netdog! One word of caution on the AE5BS the latest firmware update 7.6.3 breaks any IPv6 tunnel connections. The router defaults back to a IPv4. I forgot to add that you can always roll back to the previous firmware version and reset the router settings to get back to the IPv6 tunnel. Of course this only happens if you're running OS 10.6.8 or lower. OS 10.7 and higher I think have not been affected. If you have native IPv6 there should be no issues at all.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

2 recommendations

NetFixer to NetDog

Premium Member

to NetDog
said by NetDog:

Everyone has been waiting for »mydeviceinfo.comcast.net ··· egateway to be updated. So we added some more routers with User Guides. Please take a look and reply with comments..

»www.comcast6.net will be updated here shortly (within the next week or so) with more information as well.

For the Netgear WNR1000v2, the Comcast PDF document alternates between showing upgrading a generic WNR1000v2 and the Comcast specific WNR1000v2-VC router. The generic WNR1000v2 and the Comcast specific WNR1000v2-VC are not the same router because they use different firmware (and the Comcast version will not accept the generic firmware). Comcast needs to either have two separate PDF documents for those routers, or needs to decide which router is the one that they officially approve (and update the existing PDF document to reflect that).

The V1.2.2.54NA firmware that the PDF document shows being installed for the WNR1000v2-VC does not exist on the publicly visible Netgear http or ftp sites. The IPv6 firmware version that is publicly available for that router is V1.2.2.56NA, and it is not fully compatible with Comcast's native dual stack. It has the bug (that I have previously discussed) where it does not detect that Comcast has changed the WAN IPv6 address and the PD prefix and needs to be rebooted at least once a week, and sometimes every couple of days.

FWIW, the url for the Netgear ftp site is: »ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/ for anyone who want/needs ftp access (there is more available on that site than is publicly linked to from the Netgear support web site).

For the D-Link DIR655 router, the PDF file shows installing the FW208NAB01 firmware, but that is a beta firmware and is only available on the D-Link ftp site, not from their http site or the "Check Now" button in the router's firmware update page. The latest "stable" release is 2.10NA (but that has a bug in the guest WiFi feature that might make it undesirable for some users (the IPv6 features do work OK though). If you use the guest WiFi feature in the DIR655, then you would probably want to get firmware release FW207NAB05 (or the FW208NAB01 release from the ftp site).

The only complaints I have for the DIR655's IPv6 implementation, is that the PD prefix does not get automatically updated for DDNS or for manual IPv6 firewall rules. If you use those features, you need to monitor the PD prefix and manually change the DDNS and IPv6 firewall rules if/when the PD prefix changes (and mine has changed several times).

FWIW, the url for the router section of the D-Link ftp site is: »ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Gateway/ for anyone who want/needs ftp access (there is more available on that site than is publicly linked to from the D-Link support web site).

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to NetDog

to NetDog
oh come on, still only one router from Linksys and an older one at that?

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

1 recommendation

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by Mike Wolf:

Patience young grasshopper; Belkin isn't exactly famous for being a cutting edge network gear supplier.

NetDog
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Hollywood, FL

NetDog to Mike Wolf

Premium Member

to Mike Wolf
said by Mike Wolf:

Please feel free to post modems we need to test and talk to the vendors about..

ASUS is a great example, a customer posted the issues here on dslreports. I talked to the vendor and find the issues the vendor corrected them right away. Each vendor is different but I will do what I can to get what needs fixed; well fixed.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

1 recommendation

tshirt

Premium Member

BTW... when (newest estimate is ok) do you expect IPv6 to be available in the NW (WA/OR) region?
I assume the newest Motorola update was ONE of the steps in the right direction.

camper
just visiting this planet
Premium Member
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT

camper to NetDog

Premium Member

to NetDog

Nothing in particular, but a general Thank-You for posting this thread and asking for feedback.

netcool
Premium Member
join:2008-11-05
Englewood, CO

1 recommendation

netcool to tshirt

Premium Member

to tshirt
said by tshirt:

I assume the newest Motorola update was ONE of the steps in the right direction.

Not related. But nonetheless a good thing for Comcast (freeing up IPV4 addresses that is.)

Mid 2013 is still looking like a viable target for having V6 deployed in the rest of the network.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

1 edit

1 recommendation

NetFixer to NetDog

Premium Member

to NetDog
said by NetDog:

said by Mike Wolf:

Please feel free to post modems we need to test and talk to the vendors about..

May I assume that this offer is not just for Mike Wolf See Profile (and for routers as well as modems)?

My D-Link EBR2310 (Hardware Version: C1  Firmware Version: 3.00) almost supports Comcast's IPv6.

It will get a Comcast WAN IP address, and it will get a Comcast PD prefix for its LAN, but it will not pass IPv6 traffic from its LAN (it is able to ping IPv6 hosts from its internal diagnostic page). Also, after ~30 minutes from a reboot (or reconnect) the IPv6 gateway disappears. For my current usage of this router (a gateway for my Vonage ATAs) IPv6 is not a critical need (Vonage doesn't currently support IPv6), but it would be nice if I had the versatility to use it for something else too.

Here are some screen shot captures of its IPv6 setup, status, and ping test pages that I just took (after rebooting and getting an IPv6 gateway again):

Update: Here is a screen shot showing the loss of the IPv6 gateway ~30 minutes after the previous IPv6 status screen shown above.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

1 recommendation

NormanS to voiptalk

MVM

to voiptalk
said by voiptalk:

For the DIR-655. I would suggest you note the most recent firmware (2.10).

Only for Rev.B hardware. The most recent firmware for Rev.A hardware is 1.35; no IPv6 support.

Wayne99021
Premium Member
join:2004-12-28
Mead, WA

1 recommendation

Wayne99021 to NetDog

Premium Member

to NetDog
I see they have the Netgear WNDR4500 listed.
The firmware is a little different on mine than what they say, but close.

Firmware Version
V1.0.1.20_1.0.40

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

1 recommendation

Mike Wolf to NetDog

to NetDog
It's more of an issue on Linksys' end that they probably will never fix. There isn't any option for DHCP for v6 like there is for being able to control the DHCP addresses and lease times on v4 on the LAN side of things. Haven't been any firmware updates at all for the classic interface that everyone prefers. Actually considering jumping ship to another brand. Had my eye on the DLink DIR 655 for a few years but I think at this point it's already outdated and I'm looking for a router that has at least the same 128MB of flash, 128MB of ram, and 1.2GHz processor.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer to NormanS

Premium Member

to NormanS
said by NormanS:

said by voiptalk:

Only for Rev.B hardware. The most recent firmware for Rev.A hardware is 1.35; no IPv6 support.

Comcast does a CYA for that in the PDF document for the DIR655 found in the link in the OP of this thread.

Something that I find interesting is that D-Link has not displayed the IPv6 certification logo on their product support pages (it is shown in Comcast's PDF document) for several months. I wonder if they lost their accreditation?

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

which is another reason why I've been nervous about going with that brand

YukonHawk
join:2001-01-07
Patterson, NY

YukonHawk

Have you considered one of the Asus routers?

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

1 recommendation

NetFixer to Mike Wolf

Premium Member

to Mike Wolf
said by Mike Wolf:

which is another reason why I've been nervous about going with that brand

The reasons I bought the DIR655 was because it was on Comcast's approved list (and D-Link did display the IPv6 certification logo at that time, both on their web site and on the on-line retailer's web site that I used). But I mainly bought it because D-Link had a special arrangement with DynDNS to update multiple IPv6 DDNS hosts for devices on the DIR655's LAN (I got an email from DynDNS telling me about that exclusive arrangement with D-Link). The Windows and Linux DynDNS clients I was using did not support IPv6, so that was an important feature for me. Unfortunately, that IPv6 DDNS update feature only partially works (it is still more convenient than logging into my DynDNS account on Dyn's web site and manually updating each IPv6 host when Comcast changes my PD prefix, but it is still a PITA).

If the DDNS update (and IPv6 firewall update) functions don't start working in the next firmware release, I will probably just load pfsense on a retired (but still functional) notebook (when IPv6 support in pfsense comes out of beta). Either that, or if/when Comcast actually gets IPv6 support for business class static IP customers working, I may go back to using static IP addresses again (assuming that Comcast would offer both static IPv4 and IPv6 addresses). For the present (since I can't depend on the IPv6 addresses to not change, or for the IPv6 DDNS to update properly), I just have a couple of test IPv6 hosts with all production sites still being IPv4 only.
Jeremy W
join:2010-01-21

Jeremy W to NetDog

to NetDog
You guys should update the info for Apple's AirPort routers. The latest version of the configuration utility (6.2) completely supports IPv6. I believe 6.1 did as well, it was only 6.0 that took away support.
gigabyte1372
join:2007-10-07
Boynton Beach, FL

gigabyte1372 to NetDog

to NetDog
I dont think I have it on my Motorola 6580 yet...
raythompsontn
join:2001-01-11
Oliver Springs, TN

raythompsontn to voiptalk

to voiptalk
said by voiptalk:

The most recent firmware will not allow a guest zone to work properly. The last version that allowed the guest zone is version 2.07. Version 2.10 of the firmware is not recommended as it has issues.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT

PeteC2 to Mike Wolf

MVM

to Mike Wolf
said by Mike Wolf:

However, there are a number of folks who posted on the IPv6/Comcast thread stickied here who are successfully connected IPv6 with the EA4500 for example.

In fact, are you not one of them? Perhaps I am missing the issue, and if so, apologize.

Comcast lists what they have tested, that does not mean that other routers will not work.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

2 edits

Mike Wolf

yeah I wasn't saying it didn't work with IPv6 with Comcast to access the internet, just saying that there are a lot of IPv6 features missing on the LAN side of things on the router.
It's not just this router but it's all the Linksys routers at this point having the very bare minimum of IPv6 functionality. In fact as I was typing this I checked the configuration screen and can't find ANY IPv6 settings at all for the LAN except for the IPv6 setup on the WAN side for 6rd and automatic. Compare this to other routers like Netgear and DLink that have a huge list of configuration settings, it's a no brainer that they are better at it and Linksys is lagging in that department so hopefully someone here can give them a boot in the rear to get things on par with their competition.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

1 recommendation

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by Mike Wolf:

yeah I wasn't saying it didn't work with IPv6 with Comcast to access the internet, just saying that there are a lot of IPv6 features missing on the LAN side of things on the router.
It's not just this router but it's all the Linksys routers at this point having the very bare minimum of IPv6 functionality. In fact as I was typing this I checked the configuration screen and can't find ANY IPv6 settings at all for the LAN except for the IPv6 setup on the WAN side for 6rd and automatic. Compare this to other routers like Netgear and DLink that have a huge list of configuration settings, it's a no brainer that they are better at it and Linksys is lagging in that department so hopefully someone here can give them a boot in the rear to get things on par with their competition.

Cisco had made the marketing decision to make the Linksys consumer grade product line more user friendly (as in simple with no options). I expect that Belkin will continue that process since they are certainly not known for being a cutting edge high tech company. I think that the only way you will see advanced setup options in Linksys gear in the future will be by using firmware from DDWRT, OpenWRT, Tomato, et al (for the devices capable of using such firmware).

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

that sucks.

mb6
join:2000-07-23
Washington, NJ
Netgear CM1150V
Netgear R7800

1 recommendation

mb6

said by Mike Wolf:

that sucks.

It does, but then again, it works flawlessly on the e4200v2 (e4500) here. Seems that those with all the configuration options are complaining about periodic loss of connectivity, something that I would rather not deal with....
Bill_F
join:2010-02-09
Huntsville, AL

1 recommendation

Bill_F to NetDog

to NetDog
NetDog,

What is a good router with WiFi that will work with Comcast business IPV6?
My router that I currently have died recently but I am afraid of buying a new one until I know for sure it will work with the coming Comcast business static upgrades.
I am looking at getting the ASUS RT-AC66U even though it is kind of expensive, but I don't want to buy something and then find out it doesn't support some special protocol that Comcast uses on IPV6...

Bill

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT

1 recommendation

PeteC2 to Mike Wolf

MVM

to Mike Wolf
said by Mike Wolf:

Gotcha', thanks!

My CMT isn't IPv6 yet, so I haven't seen any of this.

As someone who does not really need a lot of device prioritization and such, is this likely something that would/should be of much concern to me when we get IPv6 here? I am quite satisfied with speed/connectivity/stability of my EA4500, but am always open to change if there is a useful advantage.

I didn't plan to be in the market for a new router until AC becomes a more established standard...and I had devices prepared to take advantage of it.

Interested on any thoughts concerning this.