spc
Search similar:

uniqs
DJboutit
join:2009-12-10
Columbia, MO

DJboutit

Why Does Comcast Ask For SN Number During Tech Support Chat

I have been trying to get some info about which internet package I have and how much the next level higher plan would cost I am not changing anything. When every I use the online tech support chat they always ask for the last 4 digits of sn number they already have it on file unless someone is blind. I am not the account holder I live in the same house I can give all other info about the account people just do not give on there sn number like that?? Comcast online tech support is a joke

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA

1 recommendation

pflog

MVM

said by DJboutit:

I have been trying to get some info about which internet package I have and how much the next level higher plan would cost I am not changing anything. When every I use the online tech support chat they always ask for the last 4 digits of sn number they already have it on file unless someone is blind. I am not the account holder I live in the same house I can give all other info about the account people just do not give on there sn number like that?? Comcast online tech support is a joke

To confirm you are the account holder. In this case, you're not, so it did its job.

I'm not sure if there are alternatives, but at least in my case they just needed my account number in order to pull up my account for business class. So try asking your roommate for the account number.
DJboutit
join:2009-12-10
Columbia, MO

DJboutit

No problem I can get the account number they want last 4 digits sn

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

said by DJboutit:

No problem I can get the account number they want last 4 digits sn

What is the nature of your call? Perhaps some things require the account holder to verify last 4 of SSN and others just the account number?

Then again, I suppose with a business class service they may not store a SSN?

nerdburg
Premium Member
join:2009-08-20
Schuylkill Haven, PA

nerdburg to DJboutit

Premium Member

to DJboutit
It's to prevent unauthorized charges/changes. They can still troubleshoot, but they wont give account info, change PIN #s, upgrade service or send a tech w/o approval of the account holder. The account holder can call and have you added as an authorized user.

camper
just visiting this planet
Premium Member
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT

camper to DJboutit

Premium Member

to DJboutit
said by DJboutit:

... they always ask for the last 4 digits of sn number ...

A few years ago, you used to be asked for your mother's maiden name in order to prove you were who you said you were.

However, social media has pretty much killed that level of shared secrecy, so now the question of the day seems to be, ~what are the last four digits of your SSN~.

At some point when the hackers manage to get the last four digits of enough peoples' SSN, I fear what the next "shared secret" question will be.

CustServRep: "I'd like to help you with that issue, but first I need you to confirm you are the account owner.... how often do you clip your toenails?"

What is scary about that, is that it implies there is a database of that information......

THZNDUP
Deorum Offensa Diis Curae
Premium Member
join:2003-09-18
Lard

THZNDUP

Premium Member

Or implemented as feature in your remote or STB.

"Sir, would you please hold the end of the remote up to your right eye and hit '6-6-6-enter'?"

camper
just visiting this planet
Premium Member
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT

camper

Premium Member

A fan of The Register, I see....

THZNDUP
Deorum Offensa Diis Curae
Premium Member
join:2003-09-18
Lard

THZNDUP

Premium Member

Not so much now that Captain Cyborg and the neoLuddite Resistance Army have faded away(or gone into hiding).