uniqs

Xioden
Premium Member
join:2008-06-10
Monticello, NY

Xioden to thender

Premium Member

to thender

Re: Secure method of storing a DVR computer.

Depending on how much data you're storing at a time just running a couple of external hard drives back through the wall could work, then just have them mounted securely above the ceiling (assuming some sort of drop ceiling with tiles) that you can get to pretty easily if the situation arises.

If everyone else is unaware of them existing chances are they'll grab the tower and run thinking they got everything.

thender
Screen tycoon
Premium Member
join:2009-01-01
Brooklyn, NY

thender

Premium Member

said by Xioden:

Depending on how much data you're storing at a time just running a couple of external hard drives back through the wall could work, then just have them mounted securely above the ceiling (assuming some sort of drop ceiling with tiles) that you can get to pretty easily if the situation arises.

If everyone else is unaware of them existing chances are they'll grab the tower and run thinking they got everything.

I don't have a drop ceiling that is easy to remove tiles from. If the tiles could be removed easily, than so can the drives..I feel like following a firewire cable isn't tough. My biggest issue would be theft from within, and ina computer repair shop, I think someone could deduce the firewire drive hiding in the wall from the DVR is the recording drive.

Xioden
Premium Member
Monticello, NY

Xioden

Premium Member

Wireless external drives could still be an option. I have never used them so I can't comment if it would actually work well or not. In theory you would just need a power outlet somewhere you could stash it.

A Dual-WAN router/modem could work, get local DSL service so you aren't solely in the hands of Time Warner.

Or possibly just a cellular based security camera to watch the backroom/DVR unit.

thender
Screen tycoon
Premium Member
join:2009-01-01
Brooklyn, NY

thender

Premium Member

At the risk of sounding rude, I was curious if there was simply a computer case that was made to be bolted to a floor/wall instead of wifi systems/networking stuff/hidden wall slots for hard drives. All of that would be far more complicated and far less secure than simply bolting a locked case to the floor.

kontos
xyzzy
join:2001-10-04
West Henrietta, NY

kontos

how do you secure the power cord to the locked case? to the building?

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp

John Galt6

Premium Member

said by kontos:

Mount the lock box over a recp...no access.

kontos
xyzzy
West Henrietta, NY

kontos

said by John Galt6:

said by kontos:

What happens when they short the next plug on the circuit?

Xioden
Premium Member
Monticello, NY

Xioden to thender

Premium Member

to thender
Tower tie down brackets.

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
Happy Camp

John Galt6 to kontos

Premium Member

to kontos
said by kontos:

Dedicated circuit...

kontos
xyzzy
West Henrietta, NY

kontos

This is sure getting expensive, kinda like they got robbed without anybody taking anything. Wouldn't insurance be cheaper pretty soon?

fruhead
join:2002-01-29
Mosquito,NJ

fruhead to thender

to thender
said by thender:

At the risk of sounding rude, I was curious if there was simply a computer case that was made to be bolted to a floor/wall instead of wifi systems/networking stuff/hidden wall slots for hard drives. All of that would be far more complicated and far less secure than simply bolting a locked case to the floor.

Tether your cat to it. After all, he doesn't want to get left in that tree again, right?

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
Happy Camp

John Galt6 to kontos

Premium Member

to kontos
said by kontos:

This is sure getting expensive, kinda like they got robbed without anybody taking anything. Wouldn't insurance be cheaper pretty soon?

That's for the OP to decide...

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

mackey to kontos

Premium Member

to kontos
said by kontos:

said by John Galt6:

said by kontos:

Doesn't matter. The video of them stealing whatever and starting to short out or unplug things has already been committed to the hard drive. Throw a UPS in the lockbox with the computer if you really want to.

/M
coma9
join:2013-02-05
United State

coma9 to John Galt6

to John Galt6
said by John Galt6:

said by kontos:

Dedicated circuit...

Or, just use a UPS!

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
Happy Camp

John Galt6

Premium Member

said by coma9:

Or, just use a UPS!

That too!

Belt AND suspenders, plus glued, screwed and tattoo'd.