share rss forum feed

Oleg
Premium
join:2003-12-08
Birmingham, AL
kudos:2

1 edit

[WIN7] OEM or RTM Disk

Has anyone has seen this kind of OEM disk? »i.ebayimg.com/t/Windows-7-Home-P···0_57.JPG. Or is it RTM (Release To Manufacturers) copy?

Nhbass
Upside Down Jeep
Premium
join:2001-01-15
Nashua, NH

That disk is for use only in refurbishing a system and cannot be used with a standard Win 7 key.

Oleg
Premium
Birmingham, AL

said by Nhbass:

That disk is for use only in refurbishing a system and cannot be used with a standard Win 7 key.

I know. I just never have seen this kind of licensing before. I know OEM, and RTM licensing, but not the refurb. licensing.

Nhbass
Upside Down Jeep
Premium
Nashua, NH

We have them here at my shop but only for in house use. Essentially, if you sell used computers and need to reload them, this is MS's solution and a new revenue stream for them.

Oleg
Premium
Birmingham, AL

Makes sense. Can you use a single refurb. licensing/disk on more than one PCs ?
I know that with XP VLK you were able to install the OS using the same key on as many PCs as you want, but it is strictly for businesses only.

Nhbass
Upside Down Jeep
Premium
Nashua, NH

1 recommendation

No you cannot. The refurb key is locked to the system. You provide MS with the product id number on the license tag (not the install key) as well as the product id on the refurb sticker and the MS Refurb website generates the install key. In the process, the original product key is deactivated and cannot be used again.

Oleg
Premium
Birmingham, AL

Thanks Nhbass for the solid answers.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18

1 recommendation

reply to Oleg

said by Oleg:

Has anyone has seen this kind of OEM disk? »i.ebayimg.com/t/Windows-7-Home-P···0_57.JPG. Or is it RTM (Release To Manufacturers) copy?

Microsoft Refurbisher Programs
»www.microsoft.com/oem/en/licensi···ams.aspx
quote:
Microsoft Refurbisher Programs

There are several options for refurbishers to become a member of a Microsoft Refurbisher program. Members of the following programs are able to supply computers with genuine Microsoft software preinstalled to businesses, consumers, and nonprofits.

Microsoft Registered Refurbisher. This program is for small and midsize refurbishers across the globe that wish to supply refurbished PCs preinstalled with genuine Microsoft software to local consumers and businesses, as well as to qualified charities, nonprofits, schools, and government programs.

Microsoft Authorized Refurbisher. This program is for large refurbishers that average a minimum volume of 5,000 PCs refurbished monthly. Refurbishers supply refurbished computers and servers preinstalled with genuine Microsoft software to businesses, consumers, and nonprofits.

Microsoft Refurbisher Program Benefits

Benefits for eligible refurbishers include:

Recognition and status as a member of a Microsoft Refurbisher program.
Ability to build an enhanced relationship with Microsoft.
Genuine Microsoft software licenses for refurbished PCs.
Access to proprietary installation tools to simplify the software deployment process.
The opportunity to create market differentiation through the sale of a refurbished PC solution with preinstalled Microsoft software.

Find Out More
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3

OEM and refurbisher discs have the same content and the product keys are interchangeable; it's the licensing that distinguishes them.

OmagicQ
Posting in a thread near you

join:2003-10-23
Bakersfield, CA
kudos:1
reply to Oleg

I don't understand why you would have to pay for another key if the pc already has a COA sticker with the key on it? Why not just re-install using the same key on the sticker?
--
...Who, What, When, Where, How... Why? Why Not?

Oleg
Premium
Birmingham, AL

1 edit

said by OmagicQ:

I don't understand why you would have to pay for another key if the pc already has a COA sticker with the key on it? Why not just re-install using the same key on the sticker?

Well, advanced users have custom builds this days. As a Pirate activation of OS is not an issue. Also most of OEM builds come with a restore disk loaded with useless junk software.

urbanriot
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to OmagicQ

said by OmagicQ:

Because the license is not transferred with the PC. The COA sticker is just a sticker... it's meaningless.

Doctor Olds
Premium,VIP
1970 442 W30

said by urbanriot:

said by OmagicQ:

Because the license is not transferred with the PC. The COA sticker is just a sticker... it's meaningless.

It has meaning, it just may be a VLK (aka Corporate type key) or other type license key that cannot be transferred to a end user. Therefore when a company sells their old PCs, you need a new COA for resell after they are refurbished.
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

urbanriot
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable

I'm having difficulty applying what you wrote to the context of what I'd posted.

The refurbisher sticker goes hand in hand with the transferal of licensing. On its own, the sticker is meaningless. Legally, the only item that counts is the invoice.

Doctor Olds
Premium,VIP
1970 442 W30

said by urbanriot:

I'm having difficulty applying what you wrote to the context of what I'd posted.

Don't see how, it wasn't cryptic by any means of the imagination.

said by urbanriot:

The refurbisher sticker goes hand in hand with the transferal of licensing. On its own, the sticker is meaningless. Legally, the only item that counts is the invoice.

Actually the invoice is meaningless unless you are a business under a compliance audit by the SBA (»www.bsa.org/ ).

A end user or even another business cannot buy a corporate or business owned PC or Laptop which is up for sale that used a VLK key and continue touse that key on the VLK COA so that means the PC or laptop needs a new COA, either under the refurbished plan or a Retail copy or a OEM copy as all of those come with new COAs.
--

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback

I understand what you are saying. The corp I work for, on updating all the software and O/S, I asked on the old versions of Office etc and were they on sell them, and the reply was no, they could not even give the license away for free, the stipulation for the corp bulk license was they were not transferable.

It sounds the same as what you are trying to explain, it is neither a full product nor OEM.
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

urbanriot
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to Doctor Olds

said by Doctor Olds:

Actually the invoice is meaningless unless you are a business under a compliance audit by the SBA

Not sure why you're linking to the general BSA site but regardless of what you're suggesting, a COA sticker is meaningless in the court of law and the invoice proves ownership of license.

The refurbisher program allows refurbishers to repackage the previous owners system with a proper license intended for the next owner.

Doctor Olds
Premium,VIP
1970 442 W30

1 edit

said by urbanriot:

The refurbisher program allows refurbishers to repackage the previous owners system with a proper license intended for the next owner.

Actually it is:

The refurbisher program allows refurbishers to repackage the previous owners system that has a non-transferable COA attached with a proper license intended for the next owner. This does not apply to any COA (OEM or Retail) that can be transferred to the next owner. Retail being able to be transferred to new hardware/new system while OEM can only be transferred with the original hardware/original system it was first installed or pre-installed on.
--

urbanriot
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable

That's... interesting, I sit corrected. Would you be so kind as to link me to the specific location where you grabbed that quote. I'd like to screenshot it.

This is yet another situation of Microsoft writing something that doesn't hold up in court. Well, at least Canadian court. There's a set of rules that Microsoft prints in their licensing agreements, their web sites, their program sites, and what the 1-800 licensing people say, then there's another set of rules of what the BSA lawyers use in court.

OmagicQ
Posting in a thread near you

join:2003-10-23
Bakersfield, CA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Bright House

1 edit
reply to Oleg

Apparently just having the COA sticker IS NOT enough. You have to have the recovery media or partition. I found this here »oem.microsoft.com/downloads/publ···ines.pdf

When is a new Windows operating system license required and when is one not required?

A new Windows license is not required for a refurbished PC that has:
(1) The original Certificate of Authenticity (COA) for a Windows operating system affixed to the PC, and
(2) The original recovery media or hard-disk based recovery image associated with the PC.

The operating system identified on the original COA indicates the edition of Windows that was originally licensed for that PC and the refurbisher can use either:
(1) The original recovery media or
(2) The original hard-disk based recovery image to reinstall the operating system software specified on the COA.

If the original recovery media is not present, an end user can contact the original equipment manufacturer (OEM) of the PC to obtain the appropriate recovery media for a fee—subject to availability. Second-hand recovery media is sometimes offered for sale by individuals in various forums and markets. Purchasing media from unknown sources is not recommended as it introduces the risks of copyright infringement, improper licensing and infected/corrupted or incomplete software.

A new Windows license is required for a refurbished PC if:
(1) The refurbisher cannot obtain the original recovery media or
(2) The PC does not have a hard-disk based recovery image.
The refurbisher must purchase a new Windows license in order to provide the purchaser of the refurbished PC with a genuine, licensed version of Windows on the PC.

--
...Who, What, When, Where, How... Why? Why Not?