how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

vulture33

join:2013-02-23
Hawkesbury, ON

POTS splitter

Hi I have a POTS splitter ,for the modem part I have the red wire plugged to r and green wire plugged to t.This wire is then plugged inside the wall to the phone outlet with red and green wires plugged to their colors.I then plug the modem to this jack.Should I plug the modem directly to the POTS splitter where the hole is for the modem ?
Also should i have those samall filters plugged where their is a phone ? Thks

JCohen
Premium
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON
kudos:11

You can either plug the modem directly into the POTS splitter, easiest way, or you could run a new wire to where you want your modem.

vulture33

Hawkesbury, ON
reply to vulture33

THks for reply so right now I have the wires from modem ,next to the line to my phone plug,wired red and green at phone plug the black and yellow I unscrewed.This like I said is where modem is plugged.How about those filters to phone jacks where i have a phone?
A question I am baffled at ,why can't I plug my modem to other jacks in the house, modem will not work just the phone. Thks

JCohen
Premium
Nepean, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed

said by vulture33:

How about those filters to phone jacks where i have a phone?

The filters on the phone are no longer necessary as the POTS splitter replaces them.

said by vulture33:

A question I am baffled at ,why can't I plug my modem to other jacks in the house, modem will not work just the phone. Thks

As I said above, the POTS splitter is a filter that separates the DSL signals from the voice signals and than sends them on a dedicated line to a specific jack which is why the modem won't work on any other jacks in your house.

----

I was reading over your original post and I'm wondering what exactly are you trying to do, such as making sure everything is wired up correctly or moving your modem to another room.

vulture33

Hawkesbury, ON

Thks for the reply, I am just making sure everything is wired up correctly.I am trying to understand why there are 3 inputs on that POTs splitter and why did Bell just plug me directly to that instead of plugging to the phone outlet, where my modem is plugged. I also noticed at that phone outlet where modem is the 4 wires were connected ,is this needed? Should the black and yellow wire be connected there from that same wire coming from POTS splitter? Hope I am not too confusing here.Thks

JCohen
Premium
Nepean, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed

If you could post pictures of how everything is setup it would be easier to understand.

----

said by vulture33:

Thks for the reply, I am just making sure everything is wired up correctly.I am trying to understand why there are 3 inputs on that POTs splitter and why did Bell just plug me directly to that instead of plugging to the phone outlet, where my modem is plugged.

Their 3 phone jacks on the POTS splitter so that it's easy for the customer to plug in their devices to it if they want to and it also gives them a place to easily test their modem.