Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

urbang33k

join:2010-02-13
Canada
kudos:1

VDSL2 modem options / Teksavvy FTTN

There are two Brands of FTTN equipment on the Bell network for Teksavvy DSL.

I will be ordering the 15/10 package from Teksavvy and wish to have my own modem that I can bridge properly for use with my Cisco router. I don't want PPPoE pass-through with the Sagemcom.

If someone is on an Alcatel 7330 FTTN slam, then which modem is recommended for the that SLAM?

If someone is on the Lucent O-SLAM, what options, if any are available to them?

The goal of this post/thread is not to get into a discussion about how to tell which slam vendor they may get. Only to discuss the specific VDSL2 modem options.

I already know I am on a 7330 for my home service.

Thanks
--
Opinions and ideas expressed in my post are my own and in no way represent those of Bell Canada Enterprises, Bell Canada, Bell TV, Bell Internet, Bell Mobility, Bell Technical Solutions, Expertech, or any other partners under the BCE umbrella.

darrylr

join:2003-02-10
Nepean, ON

Marc said the only option is the Sagecom. Maybe that will change later though.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:22

Bell doesn't register modems by MAC ID. You may be forced to rent a Sagemcom, but that doesn't mean you have to use it.

For example, if somebody is on the 50/10 service, neither the Sagemcom nor the Cellpipe are capable of working at 50 megabit in bridged mode, so that's a pretty good reason why somebody might want to buy a replacement modem even if they're renting a Sagemcom.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

urbang33k

join:2010-02-13
Canada
kudos:1
reply to urbang33k

any reason why this wouldn't work with a 7330 on a 17a profile?

»www2.zyxel.com/us/en/products_se···html?t=p

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

said by urbang33k:

any reason why this wouldn't work with a 7330 on a 17a profile?

Not sure, that one say something about being pair-bonding compatible...

But this one does work, TekSavvy sells it too.

--
F**K THE NHL. Go Blue Jays 2013!!!

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to urbang33k

They sell that for Telus country, though, not Bell country.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

said by Guspaz:

They sell that for Telus country, though, not Bell country.

If you want to buy it, they'll sell it for you. It works fine on 7330 remotes, there several users here who have it in Bell territory.
--
F**K THE NHL. Go Blue Jays 2013!!!

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to urbang33k

Fat lot of good that does for those of us on OSLAMs :P

SimplePanda
Go Habs Go
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to urbang33k

This works for 7330:

»www.cdw.ca/shop/products/ZyXEL-P···514.aspx

ZyXEL Prestige 870H-51A v2 - router - DSL

It's a router but has a layer 2 bridge configuration and you can set the VLAN, which is critical for correct function in Bell country.

At least one user around here on Bell VDSL2 has this running and says it syncs/works fine in bridging mode for 50/10. Will therefore work fine on TSI as well.

bjlockie

join:2007-12-16
Ottawa, DSL
reply to urbang33k

How about just a modem with no router?

xsbell

join:2008-12-22
Canada
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Primus Telecommu..
reply to urbang33k

said by urbang33k:

If someone is on an Alcatel 7330 FTTN slam, then which modem is recommended for the that SLAM?

I have a Huawei HG610 and it works great.

»VDSL2/ADSL2+ Modem for EVLT-K cards (ALU 7330)

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Start Communicat..
reply to urbang33k

i'm curious about the Sagemcom and 50Mbit issue when in bridge mode, what's the reason for it not being able to hit 50Mbit? you'd think it would have issues when in router mode since it has to actually do more.

is this some bug with the device? having just ordered 50/10 I guess it will suck keeping it in router mode.

morisato

join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
·ELECTRONICBOX
reply to urbang33k

not sure what causes it but the best solution to date is to Set your router to DHCP mode, and in the sagemcom Set it to DMZ you will get double natted is the only negative but you'll get the full 50/10
--
Every time Someone leaves Sympatico an Angel gets its wings.

SimplePanda
Go Habs Go
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

said by morisato:

not sure what causes it but the best solution to date is to Set your router to DHCP mode, and in the sagemcom Set it to DMZ you will get double natted is the only negative but you'll get the full 50/10

Saying a double-nat is the only negative effect is kind of burying the lead. You -really- don't want to do this and it isn't recommend. It'll work for things like HTTP but any inbound signalling will potentially have issues.

If you don't need "advanced" routing features your best bet is to disable the wireless on the Sagemcom and use your own wireless access point, while letting the Sagemcom act as a wired router. It's stable and performs well as a router, it just doesn't have fantastic wireless performance.

Alternatively, you could:

a) Live with the 38Mbps peak rates when bridging and/or

b) Wait until the Sagemcom's get upgraded to newer firmware, which is apparently incoming according to TSI. Apparently within a few months there will be unbranded/unlocked firmware for these devices for users on third party ISP's like TSI. Hopefully this fixes the passthrough performance and/or enables a proper layer 2 bridge mode, which apparently the Sagemcom does implement but is locked by the standard Bell branded firmware.

c) Move to cable, where you'll get a standalone modem.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

Ottawa, ON
reply to morisato

does anyone know of any non-router/cheap VDSL2 modems that will "work" with Bell 25/50?

SimplePanda
Go Habs Go
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

said by jmck:

does anyone know of any non-router/cheap VDSL2 modems that will "work" with Bell 25/50?

I wish!

There are none that are certified to work. Specifically Bell/TSI only sell and support the Sagemcom gateway.

That said...

If you're on a 7330 remote the Zyxel works:
»www.cdw.ca/shop/products/ZyXEL-P···514.aspx

It's a router but the menu allows you to enable a proper layer 2 bridge with the correct VLAN tagging (which Bell-land VDSL2 requires to work properly). This makes it a de-facto VDSL2 standalone modem with all the performance thereof.

Don't official expect support if you have issues with it but people on these forums have them working and say they their performance is as expected (they work on the 50Mbps tiers at full speed).

MaynardKrebs
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4

said by SimplePanda:

[

Don't official expect support if you have issues with it but people on these forums have them working and say they their performance is as expected (they work on the 50Mbps tiers at full speed).

Perhaps somebody with one of these modems working @ 50/10 will post all the settings they use.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

Ottawa, ON

yeah, i saw that modem but it seems a bit expensive :/ i know Start is working on getting their own modem that isn't a Sagemcom certified soon too.