spc
uniqs
Spence1
join:2013-03-19
Brooklyn, NY

Spence1 to rick0204

to rick0204

Re: [iO] New Guide Rollout

Instead of telling us to just become used to the new guide as I have read on their website, it's nice to hear them actually admit that they'll make enhancements later on.

At least the guide is usable, and I have found some likeable features about it, such as searching programs on one channel. Also, being able to expand the guide to 7 rows, which allows you to view more listings on one page.

But one of my main issues, as a previous post stated, is the "PAST" section. It shows only an inch or two of information to the left of the channel listings. It seems unnecessary and, to be honest, going back two hours in the same window (as in the former guide) would have worked just fine. What I mean is that the channels might look better on the left side of the screen as before, instead of in the middle.

Another issue, in my opinion, is the dim color of the letters in the "AHEAD" section. If it were all in white, as in the "NOW" section, it would make the program listings more legible.

My last, and probably most important issue, is the lag of navigating through the guide (specifically how information, at times, has to keep being loaded with a loading circle when moving forward an hour or two). If the navigation speed could be improved, then I may be much more satisfied.

mbernste
MVM
join:2001-06-30
Piscataway, NJ

mbernste

MVM

I suspect that the guide was "dumbed down" so that they can run somewhat-ok on the not so powerful SA boxes. The guide pictured above might be too much for the SA boxes to handle, though I would think it is a safe bet that a far more advanced guide can be implemented on the Samsung boxes. If I were to go into the "mind of Cablevision," from a support and simplicity perspective it is easier to have the same guide on all boxes post-transition than having to have to support two different interfaces. Likewise I don't think Cablevision wants to deal with people turning in their SA boxes for a more advanced box. This could be a lesson learned from the Sony box experience from ten or so years ago.
dm145
join:2009-12-12
Clifton, NJ

dm145

Funny since my sisters Samsung box is noticable slower than my SA boxes with the new guide!

Changing channels
Bringing up guide
Browsing the guide
Tuning within guide
majortom1029
join:2006-10-19
Medford, NY

majortom1029

said by dm145:

Funny since my sisters Samsung box is noticable slower than my SA boxes with the new guide!

Changing channels
Bringing up guide
Browsing the guide
Tuning within guide

maybe she has a faulty box or a bad firmware? My Samsung box is pretty much instant with the new guide. A lot faster then my sa 8300hd dvr.