All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

d4m1r
join:2011-08-25

d4m1r

Re: PoE vs Bridge vs ??

Luckily I am not haha, and can't be really with these punny Canadian caps

All this stuff is still very annoying...I wished they paired the numbers to real home internet speeds, ie: "rated for up to 45MBps" instead of saying "200MBps!!!!"....Either way, thanks for the replies guys and I'll post back up what happens with a 45MBps connection with a 200MBps kit.

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

TypeS

It most likely gets 200Mbps full duplex under perfect conditions. But home electrical wiring was never laid out for carrying data signals so real world you will never see it.

Maybe contractors will start designing the lay out of new homes' electrical wiring to offer the best scenario for data as well but they can also (and are) just lay out ethernet throughout the house and leave the ends unterminated at the distribution cabinet in the basement (dunno if they'd include the patch panel but maybe they do as well).

cybersaga
join:2011-12-19
Selby, ON

cybersaga

said by TypeS:

Maybe contractors will start designing the lay out of new homes' electrical wiring to offer the best scenario for data

Probably not; you're better off doing cat5/6. I imagine (I'm no expert) that the interference comes from the signal going back to the electrical panel and back out to your destination. The code requires so many dedicated circuits that it's very unlikely that your path won't include a trip back to the panel.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

When we increase our electrical service at the shop sometime this summer the powerline bridge will be replaced with dedicated Ethernet runs as part of the new wiring.

Powerline networking is a great way to bridge a network where Ethernet is impractical or too expensive to run, but tried and true Cat 5e/6 is still a hell of a lot better.

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

TypeS to cybersaga

to cybersaga
That's what my "but" was for , it's just plain better to run RJ-45 along side RJ-11 and Coax in new constructions.
Eug
join:2007-04-14
Canada

Eug to TypeS

to TypeS
said by d4m1r:

1) Just tested it at 6:30pm on a weekday afternoon. I am getting 24-28MBps when my laptop is directly connected to the router.

2) Through powerline (downstairs and other side of the house) I am getting 19-24MBps on my laptop. This should be enough to stream 1080p content.

The question though is how consistent that is. I used to get 25-35 Mbps at certain times but at other times, esp. when my wife was at home, I'd sometimes run into glitches streaming even 8 Mbps content. It's probably due to noise changes on the circuits.

The problem with powerline is that it is not incredibly stable. For surfing the web it's fine, but for streaming video it can be more problematic, even when you think you're getting 20+ Mbps speeds.
said by TypeS:

It most likely gets 200Mbps full duplex under perfect conditions. But home electrical wiring was never laid out for carrying data signals so real world you will never see it.

Actually no, since most (200 Mbps) powerline adapters don't even have gigabit Ethernet connections. They usually have 100 Mbps Ethernet connections... and basically never achieve that. As mentioned, expect full duplex speeds well under 50 Mbps, and often below 20 Mbps with minimum speeds sometimes as low as just a couple of Mbps or even 0 for brief periods... hence the problem with video streaming.