My dog is an elitist
Premium Member
join:2005-03-12

Wolfie00 to OverrRyde

Premium Member

to OverrRyde

Re: Peterborough residents clamp down on driving & cell phones

said by OverrRyde:

I find driving while using your cell phone far worse that the guy threatening to kill him or to do bodily harm.

In that case, I highly recommend that you, personally, not drive while using your cell phone.
said by koira:

we need more of this, despite the laws in place these phone abusers are everywhere

And what we need less of, is more silly threads on the alleged perils of cell phones in cars. We've already had at least two, probably more.

I suggest that as soon as the do-gooder vigilantes here have achieved 40 years of totally accident-free driving as I have -- in mostly busy urban areas -- then they can feel free to start a thread about how to drive safely. Otherwise, kids, keeps your eyes on the road, your cellphones in your pockets, and your business of your own minding.

OverrRyde
join:2007-04-10
Waterdown, ON

OverrRyde

said by Wolfie00:

said by OverrRyde:

I find driving while using your cell phone far worse that the guy threatening to kill him or to do bodily harm.

In that case, I highly recommend that you, personally, not drive while using your cell phone.
said by koira:

we need more of this, despite the laws in place these phone abusers are everywhere

And what we need less of, is more silly threads on the alleged perils of cell phones in cars. We've already had at least two, probably more.

I suggest that as soon as the do-gooder vigilantes here have achieved 40 years of totally accident-free driving as I have -- in mostly busy urban areas -- then they can feel free to start a thread about how to drive safely. Otherwise, kids, keeps your eyes on the road, your cellphones in your pockets, and your business of your own minding.

Oh come on Wolfie! Where's the "Pepperidge farm remembers" reference? I was waiting for that too...

I do not drive while using my cell phone, that's what bluetooth is for, and that's if i even get a call! I barely used my phone as it is to talk, even less in the car!

I doubt that the guy doing the vigilante work would have had a problem if he was on bluetooth. He probably was yapping away and not paying attention and this is what the dude had an issue with.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by OverrRyde:

I do not drive while using my cell phone, that's what bluetooth is for

One phrase you say you don't use your phone, and then in the next phrase you say you do. Well played.

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium Member

Wolfie00 to OverrRyde

Premium Member

to OverrRyde
said by OverrRyde:

He probably was yapping away and not paying attention and this is what the dude had an issue with.

There are laws to deal with driving carelessly or without due care and attention. Would your hero -- or the average citizen -- have been equally enraged and apoplectic if the guy pulling out of the parking lot had been looking at a map (which is a hell of a lot more dangerous)? I doubt it. The disciples of the new vigilantism are only enraged by the appropriately proscribed villains.

OverrRyde
join:2007-04-10
Waterdown, ON

OverrRyde to Gone

to Gone
said by Gone:

said by OverrRyde:

I do not drive while using my cell phone, that's what bluetooth is for

One phrase you say you don't use your phone, and then in the next phrase you say you do. Well played.

How so? I don't touch my cell phone when i'm in my car that's equipped with a bluetooth capabable head unit.

Let me rephrase that for you: i do not physically touch my cell phone in order to make a call when in my vehicle. I press a button on my steering wheel and speak out a voice command to dial a phone # or name in contact for me.

Better?

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Nope, not better.

It doesn't matter if you are holding the phone in your hand or talking on it through a "bluetooth", you're still using your phone. Whether you are physically touching it or not is irrelevant.

That's why this whole idea that somehow not having the thing in your hand is a load of bullshit. The same thought and energy you put into the conversation happens regardless of where the sound is coming from. Banning them outright entirely would an ounce less of hypocrisy, but at that point they may as well ban holding a conversation with a passenger or drinking a coffee while driving, too.

koira
Hey Siri Walk Me
Premium Member
join:2004-02-16

koira to Wolfie00

Premium Member

to Wolfie00
said by Wolfie00:

said by OverrRyde:

said by koira:

ok I will qualify my rant having lived on the west side of the COTU * all my life and have 40 years of wreck free as well. I don't phone or text when driving.
* COTU(r) = center of the universe (R) 2013 snafu

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium Member

Wolfie00 to OverrRyde

Premium Member

to OverrRyde
said by OverrRyde:

Better?

Nope. Not better at all. Not unless you're telling us that when on your Bluetooth handsfree gadget, you hear that you have a major business crisis, or your kid has just been expelled from school, or you get into a huge potentially relationship-ending argument with your spouse, that you will continue to be Mr. Safety Sam 100% Safe Driver without any distraction whatsoever. Because after all, you have Bluetooth, you don't need to use one hand to hold a phone to your ear, so everything must be A-OK and there's no risk of being even the tiniest bit distracted, right?
Robrr
join:2008-04-19

Robrr to Gone

to Gone
said by Gone:

Nope, not better.

It doesn't matter if you are holding the phone in your hand or talking on it through a "bluetooth", you're still using your phone. Whether you are physically touching it or not is irrelevant.

That's why this whole idea that somehow not having the thing in your hand is a load of bullshit. The same thought and energy you put into the conversation happens regardless of where the sound is coming from. Banning them outright entirely would an ounce less of hypocrisy, but at that point they may as well ban holding a conversation with a passenger or drinking a coffee while driving, too.

I fully agree with you on this however there is one problem I see. When your driving near someone with a phone in their hand, how do you differentiate talking vs. texting at a glance.

I know people who will generally hold their phone in their hand while driving and turn on the speakerphone. Some random person driving past them may just assume they are texting when in fact they are having a phone conversation.

Unless you can be certain at a glance the person is talking and not texting, you have to assume the worse case.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

1 recommendation

Gone

Premium Member

Well, people typically don't hold their phone to their head when texting. Just sayin.

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium Member

Wolfie00

Premium Member

said by Gone:

Well, people typically don't hold their phone to their head when texting. Just sayin.

Just in case, the law is worded to cover the extremely myopic fish-aliens from the planet Gazoomba who have their eyes on the sides of their heads!

(Also, their unique anatomy has put their brains in their assholes, which is why it's suspected that they're the ones who passed some of these laws.)